ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who've been following Cindy and I over the years, you know that we never trailer our Jeeps regardless how far we're going and a lot of that is because we love the journey just as much as the destination. In fact, one of the things we love to do most is get off the Interstate and make frequent stops along the way and check out the cool relics and ruins that litter the old U.S. Highways and byways. We especially love to find old Muffler Men, Uniroyal Gals, old gas stations, funky diners, ornate neon signs and abandoned buildings and when possible, take photos of our Jeeps next to them. Having said all that, this thread is intended to highlight some of the cool things we've seen as well as where they were found and if you've got any cool Roadside America pics, we'd love to see them as well!

To kick things off, here are a few shots from the world famous Route 66. In so many ways, the Mother Road embodies all that is classic Americana and what I felt would be the best way to start this thread. Enjoy. :cool:

A shot of VENGEANCE sitting next to the Gemini Giant at the Launching Pad Restaurant in Willmington, IL.
main.php

Awesome Route 66 mural in Pontiac, IL.
main.php

Being chased by pink merry-go-round horses the town of Chenoa, IL.
main.php

The worlds biggest covered wagon and Lincoln statue in Lincoln, IL.
main.php

The birthplace of the Corndog - The Cozy Drive In, in Springfiled, IL.
main.php

Awesome old gas station in Gascozark, MO.
main.php

Posing with Cars star Tow Mater in Galena, KS.
main.php

Beautifully restored Conoco Station in Shamrock, TX.
main.php

The Leaning Tower of Britten - Britten, TX.
main.php

Cadillac Ranch near Amarillo, TX.
main.php

main.php

Cool neon signs at the old Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, NM.
main.php

Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ.
main.php

We found it!! The Jackrabbit Trading post sign in Joseph City, AZ.
main.php

The iconic Roy's Motel & Café in Amboy, CA.
main.php

Now that you've seen a few of our Roadside America shots, how about you show us some of yours! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Muffler Man statues are without question one of our favorite Roadside America attractions. Built back in the early 1960's by boat builder Steve Dashew, the oversized fiberglass men were designed to serve as roadside promotions for businesses along the growing network of US Highways. The very first Muffler Man was made in 1962 and he was designed to look like Paul Bunyan holding an oversized axe. His purpose was to promote the Paul Bunyan Café located on Route 66 in Flagstaff, Arizona. Over the years, the Muffler Man was made into a wide array of figures to designed to promote a myriad of business and, as businesses were sold or closed, the statues would be relocated and/or dressed up as new characters to suit their need. Traveling across America, you will see muffler men look like Indians, Vikings, football players, chefs, cowboys, soldiers, pirates and even astronauts.

Here are 2 shots of the many Muffler Men we have found over the years and the first of which is the Lumber Jack Muffler Man in the Coronado Height Neighborhood of Tucson, AZ. Although he was not in Flagstaff, AZ, he does bear the resemblance of very first Muffler Man made and felt it appropriate to give him center stage.
main.php

I realize I already posted this one in the first post but, here's a shot the Gemini Giant at the Launching Pad Restaurant in Willmington, IL. Probably one of the most iconic Muffler Man statues that I know of.
main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While there are tons of Muffler Men that you can find across America, finding Uniroyal Gals can be a bit harder to come by. Modeled after the late Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, we've only managed to find 3 of them to date and the first of which is the simply dressed pink and red Uniroyal Gal in Pearsonville, CA.
main.php

Here's one we found in Lamesa, TX and she's dressed as cheerleader for the local high school teams: the Tornados.
main.php

This Uniroyal Gal in a blue skirt, white blouse and red vest was found in El Paso, TX.
main.php

GCM 2

Very cool thread. I will be traveling all next week throughout the south. Unfortunately the Jeep is in storage, so the trip will not be quite as iconic as yours. I will keep my eyes peeled for landmarks!

Moochie

Mud Pots near the Salton Sea, CA. You showed them to us after running the Bradshaw Trail. I've been back a few times since.

Travelling this weekend to Memphis to see family but not taking the Jeep. Just down loaded the app and going to see what we can find on the way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a must stop if you're ever in Mitchell, South Dakota - the Mitchell Corn Palace!

main.php

In a nutshell or, should I say - a kernel of corn, the Mitchell Corn Palace is an arena designed as a Moorish Revival building and decorated every year with murals made from - well, corn of course. :D

DJKU09

Where exactly is the Uniroyal Gal in El Paso, TX? I lived here for a while and never seen her before! That's way to cool.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1,268 Miles to Wall Drug! At least from Carson City that is. Wall Drug located in Wall, South Dakota, was estabilished by Ted Hustead in 1931. In an effort to help draw in customers in this middle of nowhere town, his wife Dorothy got the idea of advertising "free ice water" to thirsty travelers on their way to the newly opened Mount Rushmore Monument just 60 miles to the west. As a part of their marketing campaign, billboards of all shapes and sizes were erected across the state and even across America announcing how many miles away you were from Wall Drug. If you're ever in the area, this is a must stop destination along the way to wherever it is you're going.

main.php

:cool:

jhires

My wife and I do a lot of the same.
Here is one of the stops we made at the Wild Horses monument above Vantage, WA on I-90.

First the view from the parking lot below
IMG_0023.jpg

Of course we had to follow the trail out of the parking lot into the canyon behind the monument
IMG_0038.jpg

We hiked up to the monument. Our border collie Emma did her best to keep the horses in line. Barking at them a few times and making sure they stayed put. (Which they did quite well)
IMG_0040.jpg

And the view of the Columbia River below.
IMG_0049.jpg

Great pictures!

Here are some pics from our Route 66 trip.
Chicago, Illinois eye clinic
DSC_0451.JPG
Midpoint
DSC_0961.JPG
Oklahoma City
DSC_1155.JPG
Fantastic Caverns Springfield, MO
DSC_1236.JPG

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Not much to see anywhere around here but I am going to have to try and find some, we do have a "roadside America" however but its inside.

Top Bottom