Coilovers or ori's ?

CanadianJK72

Hey guys , anyone have any first hand experience with coilovers (king, fox.. Etc..) or ori's ? And if so how do you like them an what are some pros an cons.

My build so far
2011 jku
4 inch evo coils
Bilstien shocks
Currie control arms
37" mtz's
I am currently building one ton axles and getting close to putting them in , I am planning on doing a 3 link setup.
I will be running a 40" tire also
Looking for a true 12" or 14" worth of travel.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Do the ORIs have adjustability? I would imagine you could adjust ride height with pressure, but what about for different weight loads? May not be a concern to you, but one of the reasons I am going coilovers is that I can adjust ride height AND spring rates for varied loads as the Jeep get set up in different ways. Just a thought.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Because you have a heavy jku I would do coilovers over the struts. Struts are nice for buggies but coilovers will be great for road use and for trail use

CanadianJK72

Do the ORIs have adjustability? I would imagine you could adjust ride height with pressure, but what about for different weight loads? May not be a concern to you, but one of the reasons I am going coilovers is that I can adjust ride height AND spring rates for varied loads as the Jeep get set up in different ways. Just a thought.

Very good point ! The thought hadn't crossed my mind , as far as I know it's just the ride height that is adjustable, what coilover are you thinking of running ?

CanadianJK72

Because you have a heavy jku I would do coilovers over the struts. Struts are nice for buggies but coilovers will be great for road use and for trail use

That is what some others have said as well , I am leaning towards the coilovers , I just want to fully understand both options before I pull the trigger , have you used either of them before?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
They are good for a dedicated trail rig, from what I understand, they used to suck on road, and blow out off road. This was a few years back, not sure if they fixed their issues. Not needing bump stops is about their only advantage that I can think of.
Also if a strut blows out on the trail, you're kinda stuck, coil over blows out, you still have the springs to hold your jeep up.

Last edited:

CanadianJK72

They are good for a dedicated trail rig, from what I understand, they used to suck on road, and blow out off road. This was a few years back, not sure if they fixed their issues. Not needing bump stops is about their only advantage that I can think of.
Also if a strut blows out on the trail, you're kinda stuck, coil over blows out, you still have the springs to hold your jeep up.

That's a very good point , with the coilovers such as King what maintanice would have to be done ?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Very good point ! The thought hadn't crossed my mind , as far as I know it's just the ride height that is adjustable, what coilover are you thinking of running ?

I am seriously leaning towards the EVO Enforcer Pro coilover kit. They use proprietary valving specific for the JK and offer more true vertical wheel travel than any other bolt on kit out there. Plus, I really like that the coilovers mounts don't stick so far down like some of the other kits out there. I also like that the kit comes complete with everything I need except for driveshafts, which will all depend on what ride height you would be running and what you prefer (1310 or 1350) anyways.

David1tontj

Hey guys , anyone have any first hand experience with coilovers (king, fox.. Etc..) or ori's ? And if so how do you like them an what are some pros an cons.

My build so far
2011 jku
4 inch evo coils
Bilstien shocks
Currie control arms
37" mtz's
I am currently building one ton axles and getting close to putting them in , I am planning on doing a 3 link setup.
I will be running a 40" tire also
Looking for a true 12" or 14" worth of travel.

I was seriously, and still am contemplating running the air shocks. I saw them on several buggies out at KOH and fell in love with them.

Here's what I found out.

-not as adjustable as Coilovers
- half the cost of Coilovers
- currently a maximum sprung weight of 5000 pounds with the biggest ones available (this is probably going to be not enough for your four door jk and is luging the limits in my Tj. Remember, I said sprung weight, so it doesn't include your axles or tires)
- they are super cool

I have more research to do, but i think they really are made for buggies and lightweight trail rigs.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Good points David, also I don't know how these compare to evo dtd for going fast. And the custom fab work to get them mounted would add extra cost.

CanadianJK72

I am seriously leaning towards the EVO Enforcer Pro coilover kit. They use proprietary valving specific for the JK and offer more true vertical wheel travel than any other bolt on kit out there. Plus, I really like that the coilovers mounts don't stick so far down like some of the other kits out there. I also like that the kit comes complete with everything I need except for driveshafts, which will all depend on what ride height you would be running and what you prefer (1310 or 1350) anyways.

I have also been giving that kit a lot of my attention haha, seems like an amazing setup for not a bad price. do you know the adjustability by chance ? I thought I saw 3"-5" but not sure.

CanadianJK72

I was seriously, and still am contemplating running the air shocks. I saw them on several buggies out at KOH and fell in love with them.

Here's what I found out.

- currently a maximum sprung weight of 5000 pounds with the biggest ones available (this is probably going to be not enough for your four door jk and is luging the limits in my Tj. Remember, I said sprung weight, so it doesn't include your axles or tires)
- they are super cool

I have more research to do, but i think they really are made for buggies and lightweight trail rigs.

I appreciate the info , very good points didn't realize that they were a maximum sprung rate of 5000 at the biggest , I would have to agree with you that I also think that they are meant for a buggie or small rig. I have a couple of buddies that are putting them in an thought they may work for me but as it sits im leaning towards the coilover setup.

Ps. All of you guys are super helpful , happy that the jeep community is still full of great people !

Dune Crawler

Here's what I found out.

- they are super cool

Great info. So what I got so far from this thread.

coilovers
Pro: ORE coilovers-mount already tested and true
Simple install
Con: price factor

ORI strut
Pro: cheaper
Con: street legal issues (from what I read from ORI's site)
if you blow one your screwed without a replacement

I'd still go with ORE's coilovers, but TJ id def consider the struts as you would still need to fab/weld up stuff for coilovers

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Great info gang. I have been wondering about some of this info myself. The ori's are cool, but do not sound like a good fit for a jku. I have always loved King coilovers anyway.

Now I just need some 4" travel Kings. Because I don't need much travel going to the mall. And yes I said 4", but they would have to be special built cause I don't think they make them that short.

David1tontj

Great info gang. I have been wondering about some of this info myself. The ori's are cool, but do not sound like a good fit for a jku. I have always loved King coilovers anyway.

Now I just need some 4" travel Kings. Because I don't need much travel going to the mall. And yes I said 4", but they would have to be special built cause I don't think they make them that short.

Not sure it's worth getting Coilovers if you're only going to the mall anyway!

David1tontj

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424059126.097325.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424059232.298947.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424059284.881351.jpg

Just a few pics I found when I was looking into them.

As far as blowing a shock out on the trail and being screwed- If you still ran a bump stop, you could drive home on the bump stop.

I just kinda like how simple they are, and also how clean they look.

Currently I think the main thing I am hung up on, is that I couldn't haul much of a trailer without going over capacity.

CanadianJK72

Here's a pic I found of ori's on a jku, super clean build and wild flex , really leaning towards the King coilovers though after reading some of the points made ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424109601.496273.jpg

Rubicon john

My co worker has Ori's on his Tacoma and will be replacing them with coilovers. Even though the Ori's are filled with nitrogen they seem to react to the weather more than he likes. Some days his truck has a squat to it because the Ori's lose pressure. Another thing he found that was difficult was he had to get some really high psi rated regulator to fill the Ori's. I would go with coilovers because they are proven to work great and be reliable.

Top Bottom