Help my axle blew up!!

dabins

So to start with i have a 2012 2 door JK and ive been wheeling ever since with 35s on from dunes to rocks and some crossings. Then i got 37s for my rig and i changed my gearing to 5.13 i did all the everything right till i reached a 1000 then i decided to go do some testing offroad oh i forgot to mention i have a 4.5in with arms for pinion angle and drive shafts front and rear before the 37s and gearing upgrade and and im waiting on my front axle reinforcement so i kinda know what im doing anyway when i was testing clearance and all that everything went great its like i have a new monster then suddenly on our way out there was this steep hill i went up all the way then i went back down cause one of my buddies got stuck i wanted to pull him out then suddenly he tells me bro your rear tiers aren't moving!! I pulled the break and went down then saw this ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424030292.201518.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424030322.437369.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424030381.327928.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424030413.791095.jpg
The cover broke and the axle has a hole in it. I have a few options

Option1
Buy an axle from the junkyard front and rear but from a Donner car like the ford superdity or something i need your help with that

Option2
Buy a Rubicon axle

Option3
Fix this one but i dont want to do that really i feel im just wasting my money

I basically want to go all out its not my daily i have 3 other cars so i would like your opinion please on what happened and what you think i should do.

Last edited:

Hobolobo

Time for a pr60! Buying used, you wont get what you want and you're inheriting someone else's problem.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Man that sucks. But thanks for adding this as those who think running hard and fast on 37's on a D44 rear and D30 is okay. Yikes you blew your Ring and Pinion in a major way.

I say upgrade to a 60 rear. Best bet would be a Dynatrac trail 60. More affordable and will be very strong. I can't help you with a junkyard axle. That will require you finding a high pinion and modifying the suspension mounting points.

Dean454

When it comes to axles cheap is expensive. Buy it once and spend theory so you don't have this again. Sounds like you drive it pretty hard so you won't regret your investment

dabins

When it comes to axles cheap is expensive. Buy it once and spend theory so you don't have this again. Sounds like you drive it pretty hard so you won't regret your investment

So you think i should go with the Dynatrac as well?

Dean454

If you want to buy once and have confidence then yes. I am very experienced in trying the cheap way only to regret it later

Dean454

If you are running 37s and wheeling hard you will not be disappointed in a d60. There are great
Choices out there but after seeing a dynastic being built that is the way to go. In my opinion

dabins

I'd be curious as to what actually happened. Was is the fault of weak parts or improper install?

I dont really know i went through all the right procedures changed oil after 500km then after 1000km after we checked the pinion bit or what you call it so everything should be good 😬

computeruser6

It depends on how much money you have OP. Junkyard axles can work, but you would need to do many things to get them to work. If you pull a full-float Ford 10.5/11.5" rear axle from a Super Duty you'll have to cut the old brackets off and weld new ones on, you'll probably get a gear ratio like 4.30 that you can't use, seals and bearings may need to be replaced, and it'll probably have an open carrier. I myself bought a rear semi-float ProRock 60 from Dynatrac after the stock GKN locker decided to frag itself. Just prepare yourself for a three month wait unless you buy a Dynatrac axle from someone that has the more common configurations in stock. Solid Axle also makes fine assemblies along with the Ultimate 60's from Dana. OP, have you had a chance to pull the diff cover off yet?

DSCF5623.JPG

DSCF5741.JPG

DSCF5734.JPG

That will require you finding a high pinion and modifying the suspension mounting points.

Any rear axle pulled from a 1-ton truck will be low-pinion.

Last edited:

Dean454

One thing is for certain there is no perfect part and no perfect way to do things. All you can do is the best you can and increase your odds of success and confidence in your rig. Nothing sucks more than skipping obstacles because you're afraid of breaking parts

dabins

It depends on how much money you have OP. Junkyard axles can work, but you would need to do many things to get them to work. If you pull a full-float Ford 10.5/11.5" rear axle from a Super Duty you'll have to cut the old brackets off and weld new ones on, you'll probably get a gear ratio like 4.30 that you can't use, seals and bearings may need to be replaced, and it'll probably have an open carrier. I myself bought a rear semi-float ProRock 60 from Dynatrac after the stock GKN locker decided to frag itself. Just prepare yourself for a three month wait unless you buy a Dynatrac axle from someone that has the more common configurations in stock. Solid Axle also makes fine assemblies along with the Ultimate 60's from Dana. OP, have you had a chance to pull the diff cover off yet?

View attachment 124840

View attachment 124841

View attachment 124842

Any rear axle pulled from a 1-ton truck will be low-pinion.

Thanks bro for insight yeah i think ill go for the Dynatrac but i need to know what to get exactly. I didnt get the chance to open the diff covers it happened the day before yesterday yet I cant imagine how it looks like in there!

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug

^^This^^.........Go with the best in the business bar none....Dynatrac......Pro Rock 44 front/Trail 60 rear combo would suit your needs just fine......if you want something stronger you could step up and go with a ProRock 60 front/ProckRock 60 full float rear setup or a ProRock 60/ProRock 80 combo....

Getting those differentials imported may be hard and very, very expensive not sure what's available in Reddah but there is a shop in Riyadh that may be able to help you......

http://www.gearupsa.com/index.php/en/2014-05-24-06-40-23

Good luck with getting your rig back out on the trail

~Woodrow~

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just get a Dynatrac trail60 rear and a pr44 front and call it a day! You will be happy you did.

Top Bottom