More on the next generation of Wrangler

I found this news interesting when I read it last night...

In some other threads I mentioned I had seen some early designs for an A-Arm that was bigger than any I'd seen for a car, but smaller than I'd expect on a truck. While I couldn't link the part to the JL (or even Jeep) with certainty, I believed I was looking at the smoking gun to IFS on the JL (for some other reasons). The customer I was working with scrapped that project three weeks ago. This could mean it was for another vehicle and they just didn't get the job...

But it makes me wonder. :thinking:

Wardell

According to the below article, the JL with keep solid axles and will be an Aluminium body on frame.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150215/OEM03/302169971?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Copied over so we don't have to leave the forum to read it:

Next-gen Wrangler will keep solid axles

DETROIT -- The next-generation Jeep Wrangler will keep the floating solid axles considered key to the off-roader's ability to traverse nearly any terrain, Automotive News has learned.

The next-generation Wrangler, due in 2017, will get some updates to its suspension to improve ride and fuel economy. However, the basic design that allows the axles to maintain traction at all four wheels while traversing the most difficult terrain will remain.

News that the Wrangler will keep its basic suspension design will come as a huge relief to Jeep loyalists who had worried the body-on-frame SUV would move to an independent front and/or rear suspension to reduce the vehicle's weight.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles officials declined comment.

It also will come as a relief to an aftermarket industry that sells several billion dollars in accessories each year to Wrangler owners, according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association.

A solid axle design means that the next-generation Wrangler can be "lifted" to allow greater ground clearance and makes it easier to use oversized tires. Vehicles with independent suspensions -- such as the other five vehicles in Jeep's global lineup -- are far more complicated to lift.

With the news, the design of the next-generation Wrangler -- which must shed weight and improve its aerodynamics to improve its fuel economy -- is beginning to come more fully into view. The SUV will have a lighter, aluminum body and be smaller than the current model. It will have a fixed windscreen with a significant rake to improve its aerodynamics. It also will come with an eight-speed automatic transmission, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne has said that the next-generation Wrangler will utilize smaller, more powerful turbocharged engines than the current 3.6-liter V-6 powerplant.

This is interesting news. Maybe there's hope for the JL yet. With a fixed windscreen (and the article doesn't mention it, but likely a fixed roof as well) it won't really be much of a Wrangler, but it will probably end up being what the new Cherokee should have been...

Also, they should still make a manual transmission option too. All I've heard them talk about so far is that new 8 speed auto.

Last edited:

el_chupo_

Good news on the suspension. I am not sure about the roof yet. They do mention smaller, if they do something akin to the Trektop Pro with a permanent structure for the strength needed for safety requirements, but with the "sunrider" feature and removable windows, the "fixed roof" could be OK. Especially with removable doors still.

The smaller turbo engine does cause me some pause. Unless its an oil burner. As much as I love me some forced induction, there are several things that would cause me concern with a smaller gas turbo motor and offroad use.

We are paying close attention to the windshield rake since that sets the height of our Ultimate Sport Cage overhead t-section. We'll make it work though - not too worried. #nebraskaingenuity

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Curious how much smaller it'll be... I feel squished on multiday camping trips in my JKU now.

AJK

Wonder if their going back to the TJ YJ size? I don't really like the idea of not being able to remove the top.

Wardell

Off topic - How do you do that? Just copy and paste it with the (quote) thing?

Yup, that's all I did. I was guessing you posted the link with your cell, which might make it a bit more awkward to copy over the text.

Top Bottom