any home brewers here?

trailraider

looking at starting to home brew.
anyone dabble in it?

and if you do pointers , types you like to brew etc.

thanks

Jay

scull20

I did one of those Brooklyn brewery kits a year or so back. It turned out pretty well. Keeping stuff clean is huge. Having large enough pots, strainers, etc is a big help too. As far as bottling, I'd recommend spending a couple extra bucks and getting a good auto siphon...makes like easier and you'll have more control when bottling.

HoosierWolf

I do a bit of brewing. If you really get into it you may want to set up a kegerator and start using soda kegs. The bottling part of it I always hated.

I've kegged ginger ale, citrus soda, lots of hard ciders, and a few beers that I've made.

Like scull20 said, everything needs to be sanitized. If you bottle make sure you get the priming sugar heated to a level that sanitizes it or bad things happen. Ask me how I know.:mad:

Last edited:

JLSilerJK

I used to brew all grain and keg weekly. Have mostly stopped. Have some hops that a friend grew in my freezer that may get me brewing again. I prefered brewing double IPA's and even won a gold medal in a regional contest. Its a fun hobby that has a great reward.

Try using a kit your first time. Its like making cookies really. Put in ingredients when you're supposed to and it will work out great. If you have a local brew shop the guys are usually very helpful getting you going. If you have any specific questions I will try top help out. A great book Is "How to brew" by palmer.

JK BLK

I've been brewing for about 5 years or so. I just kegged 10 gallons of an ESB last night. It's been my main hobby for a while now ('till my Jeep came along!). I brew all grain and have a pretty good system that I'm trying to build up to. It's like the Jeep thing. The more you do it the more you find that you want to spend!

I'll be happy to pass on any pointers or recipes if anyone is interested. I usually stick with the classic styles. I love IPA's, american stouts, Belgians, and good old Brown ales. I have a recipe that's a spot on clone of Moose Drool (which I can't get here in SC, such a great beer!). I also have a great Maibock recipe if anyone has the equipment to brew a lager.

Anyway, Cheers!:beer:

Jiffy05

I just made my first batch about 2 weeks ago and am waiting to bottle it. If you have anyone that does brew I would suggest seeing if they can help before you go and spend money on everything and then not enjoy it.

Jonesy80

Homebrewer here.

I have been actively homebrewing for about 5 yrs now. I have done IPA's, Trippel's, Amber's, Porter's, Wheat's, and a Black IPA. I All Grain brew and do 5 gallon batches. I would be happy to offer any pointers or answer any questions I can for you. Sorry to hear you cannot get Moose Drool in your area. It is definitely a mainstay here, however I live 8 miles from where it is brewed! There are so many great bears out there, and clone recipes are a great way to taste them all. Anyway, it is always nice to see a homebrewer getting started! Cheers!:beer:

trailraider

well, i went to a local supply place last night. very helpful with info.

going to get all my supplies in the next couple of days.(working on my bench in the basement for it right now)

i will be starting off with a very basic kit for simplicity. they do offer add on kits for the basics.

any particular brands you use?

i'm more into the stouts but with me trying to brew i will be trying lots of styles. i cant drink the maystream beers(bud , canadian, coors light)no flavour to me.I love the micro brewers.

Jay

JK BLK

Sorry to hear you cannot get Moose Drool in your area. It is definitely a mainstay here, however I live 8 miles from where it is brewed! Cheers!:beer:

Yea, you guys out west have all the GREAT breweries out there!!!:thumb:

JK BLK

I highly recommend two books if you're just getting started brewing. The first one is the ultimate "how-to" and has the best information for people just getting started all the way to advanced homebrewers. It's "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Everyone even dabbling in brewing should have a copy!

The second one is "Brewing Classic Styles" by jamil Zainasheff. He's the owner of Heretic Brewey in California. He is probably the top award winning homebrewer ever. His book has abou 80 award winning recipes of all the classic styles. I've brewed a bunch of them and have never brewed a bad one. I scored a 40 in the National Homebrew Conference with his American Stout Recipe.

These two books will have you brewing great beer right from the start.

TheStick

I highly recommend two books if you're just getting started brewing. The first one is the ultimate "how-to" and has the best information for people just getting started all the way to advanced homebrewers. It's "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Everyone even dabbling in brewing should have a copy!

The second one is "Brewing Classic Styles" by jamil Zainasheff. He's the owner of Heretic Brewey in California. He is probably the top award winning homebrewer ever. His book has abou 80 award winning recipes of all the classic styles. I've brewed a bunch of them and have never brewed a bad one. I scored a 40 in the National Homebrew Conference with his American Stout Recipe.

Added to my cart :thumb:

trailraider

not sure.ive never had that beer. yep klicking and stinking. going to check it tomorrow and hope its ready to rack.

trailraider

thanks. looks like a trip to chapters this weekend.

Top Bottom