NEW MEATS for MOBY : 40x13.50 Toyo Open Country M/T's & ATX Chamber Pro II's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WooHoo!! They're finally in!!

As some of you may know, we had been trying to get our hands on a set of 40" Nitto Trail Grappler for some time now but apparently, there simply aren't any to be had anywhere. After making a few calls to see when we might be able to get a set, I found that it would be at least 2 months before we would even have a remote idea on an ETA. Needless to say, Cindy and I decided that we either looked at an alternative solution or bench Moby for the rest of the winter wheeling season and that wasn't something we wanted to do.

After calling up Discount Tire Direct to see what we could get in a 40" tire, we found that the only thing available was a Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar (what a surprise). Having run them in the past, there was no way we would run them again as we found them to be without question, the WORST tires we have ever run. Of course, this is not to say that we didn't want to love them as they really are a great "looking" tire but, we could never get them balance right, found them to track funny on pavement, found them to be unpredictable on the rocks and found them to have weak sidewalls. So, I asked if there was any chance they could help me get a hold of a set of Toyo Open Country M/T's. These are great tires we had run in the past, ones that we loved and now that they are offered in a 40x13.50R17, they should practically be just like Nitto Trail Grapplers. After all, Toyo is the parent company of Nitto and make their tires in the same factory. And, being that we don't know of anyone who's run this new size, we thought this would be the perfect opportunity for us to test them out.

As luck would have it, we soon found that "Discount Tire Direct" does NOT sell Toyo's but that our local "Discount Tire Store" might be able to help us out. After making a few calls, our rep let us know that he might just be able to scrounge up 5 tires from around the country and so we ordered them up. Today, we got a call saying that all 5 were finally in! Here are some shots that we took from this morning :cool:

Being that it would be near impossible to load up five 40x13.50 Toyo's in Moby, we decided to employ Rusty to lend a hand.
main.php

Here we are picking up the new tires at our local Discount Tire store.
main.php

main.php

Back at Camp WAYALIFE with Moby's new shoes.
main.php

main.php

Looks like they're gonna fit just fine.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Stacked up in the garage until we can get them mounted on Moby's new wheels.
main.php

main.php

Oh, did I just mention something about new wheels for Moby? As luck would have it, FedEx just came by a few minutes ago as well and dropped these off - A set of brand new ATX Chamber Pro II :cool:
main.php

Yeah baby - look at that BLING!!
main.php

main.php

main.php

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ATX Slabs Moby is running now, we figured that if we're gonna run a new and different set of tires, maybe it was time to run a different set of wheels as well. Of course, after installing a set of Chamber Pro II's on Rubicat, Cindy and I fell in love with them and knew we had to get a set for Moby as well. Anyway, just thought I would share and will be sure to post up pics of what it all looks like after we get them installed. Now - I just gotta find some time to install them :crazyeyes:

UPDATE 04/06/15
You know, some days are just better than the rest and really, today just happened to be one of those days. Being that I have so much to do on Moby to get him ready for our upcoming Moab trip, Cindy decided to take it upon herself to get our new bigass and super heavy 40x13.50 Toyo MT's mounted onto our new big and heavy ATX Chamber Pro II's!!

Here's a shot of all the wheels and tires ready to get installed.
attachment.php

Cindy installing the new valve stems.
attachment.php

Working the new wheels onto the new tires.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Flipping the tire over and positioning it on top of a bucket.
attachment.php

Here she is pounding the bead lip onto the edge of the wheel to help provide proper seating of the ring.
attachment.php

And the best part right here, me taking a photo of her working tirelessly as she slowly goes around tightening ALL the bolts by hand until they are at the proper torque spec! My arms and back are killing me just watching her :D
attachment.php

Finishing up by filling up the tire with some air until the back of the tire is seated on the bead.
attachment.php

The 1st of 5 done.
attachment.php

And here are ALL 5
attachment.php

Yes my friends, Cindy is a keeper :D

INSTALLED
Just finished mounting everything up - check it out!!
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Just went on a test drive and even at 80 MPH+, no shimmy or vibrations what so ever and there's not an ounce of weight on any of the wheels. Toyos ROCK!! :rock:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I see some tired forearms in somebody's future. :yup:

Edit: When you take both rigs who gets to drive what?

Last edited:

DA RUNT

That's awesome. Congrats!!! I'm sure they are going to look great. I really liked my Toyos in the snow and ice. :thumb:

OJK12

That will look amazing!! I like the look of the Toyos a lil better myself. Love those wheels!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That's awesome! Congrats on the new toyos! I have been thinking of switching to them when I bump up to 37's instead of sticking with my mud grapplers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see some tired forearms in somebody's future. :yup:

Edit: When you take both rigs who gets to drive what?

LOL!! You aren't kidding.

Oh, Cindy drove Moby - I took Rusty. :cool:

That's awesome. Congrats!!! I'm sure they are going to look great. I really liked my Toyos in the snow and ice. :thumb:

This is true and something we do see more of now that we're up in Northern Nevada.

That will look amazing!! I like the look of the Toyos a lil better myself. Love those wheels!

Well, it is what we used to run for a long time and what we had come to love before testing out Trail Grapplers. Fortunately, we still love them and think they'll work out great on Moby again.

It's gonna look good. What load range are the Toyo's in a size 40?

Just like the 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers, the 40x13.50 Toyo Open Country M/T's have a load Range C. This should offer a much more comfortable ride than the typical Range E they come in on their other sizes.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Looking awesome Eddie those I know that Moby is gonna be loving those Chamber Pro's :thumb:

GCM 2

Nice! That will be an awesome combo. The Chamber Pro II's are probably the only modification I will do to my new Super Duty. Already have the Toyo Open Country A/T's in metric equivalent 35"s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome! Congrats on the new toyos! I have been thinking of switching to them when I bump up to 37's instead of sticking with my mud grapplers

Honestly, I think you would be really happy with the Toyo's. We ran them for years and never had a problem with them - just a good tough tire and really, they're still from the same family :yup:

Nice! That will be an awesome combo. The Chamber Pro II's are probably the only modification I will do to my new Super Duty. Already have the Toyo Open Country A/T's in metric equivalent 35"s

Honestly, I think a set of Chamber Pro II's on your Super Duty would look crazy good!! Can't wait to see them on your rig :thumb:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That is awesome! And now I get to boast that I am running the same tires as Moby!

GCM 2

Honestly, I think a set of Chamber Pro II's on your Super Duty would look crazy good!! Can't wait to see them on your rig :thumb:

Yeah, I'm kind of tired over the black wheel look, that's why I was super excited when you had gotton the machined finish for RubiCat.

I know I said "it's the only modification I am doing" to the new tow rig, but I mean it. The truck came with 35"s, rear e-locker diff and gets about 19-21mpg hwy and 15-17mpg around town. That's the best mileage I have gotten on anything in as long as I can remember and although that's not hybrid mileage numbers, I'm not going to screw with factory capabilities.

By the way the truck now has a name....

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424218063.460720.jpg

Anywho, enough about my stuff, congratulations on the new wheel/tire combo! ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm kind of tired over the black wheel look, that's why I was super excited when you had gotton the machined finish for RubiCat.

I know I said "it's the only modification I am doing" to the new tow rig, but I mean it. The truck came with 35"s, rear e-locker diff and gets about 19-21mpg hwy and 15-17mpg around town. That's the best mileage I have gotten on anything in as long as I can remember and although that's not hybrid mileage numbers, I'm not going to screw with factory capabilities.

By the way the truck now has a name....

View attachment 125376

Anywho, enough about my stuff, congratulations on the new wheel/tire combo! ;)

Thanks and I couldn't agree more - it's high time for some BLING!! As far as MPG goes, that's just nuts! Can't remember the last time anything I drove got that much.

BTW - Pedro is perfect! :clap2:

Top Bottom