Upgrading D30 to D44

K.D.C.H

Ok, so Right now I'm still running my D30 front on my sport JK and I don't way to run the risk of breaking it in the middle of prime wheeling season with no back up axel. My goal was to throw in a PR60 front once the D30 goes but with so many things still on my build list I've opted to look for a stock D44 to give me a little more time.

I've stumbled across a guy selling a completely bare D44 off a JK and is asking $1100, is that a fair price?

Also I wanted to see what a parts list would like like to get it back to complete status. I'm talking everything from bearings and seals to gears and diff cover

Thanks

IMO the additional $1100 for a PR housing is well worth it. It is the housing of the JK 44 that is the weakness. Especially since you would need the internals anyway.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
That's a bit expensive in my opinion I know of a couple guys who have picked up factory D44 housings for around $500. But really you should just be shopping for a aftermarket axle and not waste any time or money on a factory housing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. For that kind of money, I would just keep running what you have until you can save up a bit more and just get a PR44. But, that's just me.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
$1100 for an empty housing? Fuck that! You'd be into it for close to $4000 when all is said and done. And it'll still bend.

spinuck

It looks like you don't have rock sliders yet or any belly protection. I'd probably put the money towards that first so you can wheel sooner than later. Just take things slow with the d30.

K.D.C.H

Agreed. For that kind of money, I would just keep running what you have until you can save up a bit more and just get a PR44. But, that's just me.

Sounds good and thanks for the info. I'll probably look into the PR44 and then upgrade that to the 60 if/when I go to 40's. The PR44 will still be good up to 37's correct?

K.D.C.H

It looks like you don't have rock sliders yet or any belly protection. I'd probably put the money towards that first so you can wheel sooner than later. Just take things slow with the d30.

I plan on doing that newbie run down south in a few weeks so after this weekend my plan is to get the skids, rock guards and rock sliders ordered and installed before that weekend.

K.D.C.H

$1100 for an empty housing? Fuck that! You'd be into it for close to $4000 when all is said and done. And it'll still bend.

And this is why I turn to my WAL family for advice. Looks like there's a PR44 in my near future now hand me that tall glass of sweet sweet Kool-Aid :cheesy::cheesy:

07JKSahara

I'll agree here, I have some d30 spares your welcome to if something internal breaks.

I'm trying to get my buddy to drive my jeep for the newbie run, he's looking at buying one so what better sales pitch!

K.D.C.H

I'll agree here, I have some d30 spares your welcome to if something internal breaks.

I'm trying to get my buddy to drive my jeep for the newbie run, he's looking at buying one so what better sales pitch!

Awesome, well if you guys go lets convoy down there together and go have some fun. I'll see if I can get Panda to be my copilot :D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why go with a 44 if you're planning 60's? Just wheel the 30 until it breaks. I didn't break mine in the 45000 miles I had on it. Only swapped it out with another D30 that was regeared because my inner seals were leaking.

07JKSahara

Why go with a 44 if you're planning 60's? Just wheel the 30 until it breaks. I didn't break mine in the 45000 miles I had on it. Only swapped it out with another D30 that was regeared because my inner seals were leaking.

Shhhhhhh... I wanted to buy his 44 for pennies on the dollar!!! It's used by then after all!

K.D.C.H

I guess I was just a little worried because I don't really know that much about these and everyone's been saying how weak the 30's are. Knowing you got 45,000 miles out of yours at least makes me feel a little more comfortable.

With summer coming up I guess I just don't want to get stranded with a broken front end.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I guess I was just a little worried because I don't really know that much about these and everyone's been saying how weak the 30's are. Knowing you got 45,000 miles out of yours at least makes me feel a little more comfortable.

With summer coming up I guess I just don't want to get stranded with a broken front end.

As I said I only replaced it because I was given a new axle that was regeared and my old axle had to have new seals put in. It didn't make sense to have the seals replaced and geared so I just swapped it out. There was nothing else wrong with it.

Mjay

I'd be comfortable running anything up to 35s on a d30. Weld in some gussets and sleeves for a little security (only 200 bucks if you or a buddy can weld) and just don't beat the piss out of it.

My girlfriend ran this exact set up with factory shafts and g2 gears without any issue in moab and plenty of local trails. We love to push the keeps on difficult trails, just a little more conservative on the skinny pedal

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'd be comfortable running anything up to 35s on a d30. Weld in some gussets and sleeves for a little security (only 200 bucks if you or a buddy can weld) and just don't beat the piss out of it.

My girlfriend ran this exact set up with factory shafts and g2 gears without any issue in moab and plenty of local trails. We love to push the keeps on difficult trails, just a little more conservative on the skinny pedal

I wouldn't waste money on sleeves.

David1tontj

To each their own. My good buddy is a welder so labour was free, and I'm not exactly rich but I consider 200 bucks pretty cheap insurance to help resist bending the housing and Cs.

My brother thought it would help too... He still bent his factory 44 despite having sleeves and gussets, and now has a prorock.
He should've just put all that money towards a prorock in the first place.

Top Bottom