Advice needed with rear sway bar links

DMF

Hi guys,

I pulled off my tire last night and found my rear brake line was pulled down by my sway bar link and at the fitting it was pinch. I have a mopar lift I bought the jeep with so I'm pretty sure these links aren't stock links. I've included some pics. I was thinking getting shorter sway bar links or longer bump stop. I'll be grateful for any helpful advice to fix this. Right now my temporary fix is zip ties.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424546182.130732.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424546210.659636.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
you bought the jeep with the lift installed?
did the dealer install the lift?
if it's dealer installed i would take it back under warranty
does the other side have a lot of space?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
You can route them like this. I think this is Frank's jeep. I saved this picture incase I ever had this problem.

Attachments

• 1424547177882.jpg
    1424547177882.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 169

DMF

Sorry for the late reply.

There isn't enough brake line unless I replace the line itself to reroute. Maybe this is the the best option though. But do you guys think adding a longer bump stop will help or a spacer? I could take it to the dealer where I bought this jeep but I bought it from Huntington Beach Jeep. There was a class action law suit against them that they just lost. I cancel my extended warranty. All my add ins that I bought with the jeep I'm considering as a lost.

Last edited:

olram30

Dumb question, do you have extended brake lines or drop brackets,
Edit, I see you have brackets
Edit again, I'm just wondering if your brake lines are long enough and pulled it down. Any chance to see how much slack you have on your lines?

Last edited:

DMF

Hi Olram30,

I'm sure my brake line won't reach if I tried running it the way Frank did. Did you want me to take a pic of the slack in the brake hose?

olram30

Hi Olram30,

I'm sure my brake line won't reach if I tried running it the way Frank did. Did you want me to take a pic of the slack in the brake hose?

I'm just trying to figure this out. Can you see where it made contact?

sjd78

I would consider getting rid of the drop brackets and mounting the hard line in its original position. Then get a set of stainless braided extended brake lines.

JAGS

Hooked
Hi Olram30,

If they truly won't reach, then you want to think about extending your brake lines.

If you do that and want to get a little more daring in getting them out of the way, you can try this. This is how ORE rerouted my lines.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424570722.474507.jpg

07JKSahara

I have the drop brackets too, but you have 2 of them each side. Mine just go down, it looks like yours have a bracket to go down and a bracket to go forward. Mine clear fine, but All I needed was more for droop.

aldaman

Same thing happened to me. It was the sway bar link bolt that made contact and stretched the brake line. Check your brake line and see if there is some paint that got scraped off by the bolt making contact. You could try running shorter links (but still longer than the stock ones) or maybe cutting the sway bar bolt making it flushed with the nut to prevent further contact...:thinking:

DMF

This is the other side side not damage. In this pic my sway bar link bolt will catch the line about 3 inches to the right of where I put the zip tie.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424571337.437929.jpg

This pic is how much slack I have altogether.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424571451.876183.jpg

Top Bottom