Nitto Trail Grappler or Cooper STT?

VScott

I am looking at 35/12.50/17 tires and have narrowed it down to these two. Lots of friend say get the Nittos but a few say they are too heavy (load range E versus C on the Cooper). I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon. What does the forum say?

ClarksAdventures

I am looking at 35/12.50/17 tires and have narrowed it down to these two. Lots of friend say get the Nittos but a few say they are too heavy (load range E versus C on the Cooper). I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon. What does the forum say?

Skid Kid, brought up a great point for me. The Nitto 315/70's are basically the same size of the 35x12.50, however they are only a D rating. That an the awesome customer service with Discount tires led me to get the nittos. Installed them today.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424580311.842559.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424580324.971257.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The Nittos are much better for the money. Strong sidewalks, and though they are heavy they are reliable. Only person I know to have issues with them is known to break everything! Lol.

David1tontj

Most Everyone here will swear by the nittos or toyos.

I haven't run either, but I did run coopers on my old tow rig... It didn't go so well... I decided to go up a rocky hill with it and my v10 decided to fillet the tread right off the steel belts. It was really weird and I had never seen anything like it before.

A couple week ago, I talked to another guy at a suds and grub who had done the same thing to a cooper.
I think it was clarksadventures

That being said- I don't recommend the coopers.

ClarksAdventures

Most Everyone here will swear by the nittos or toyos.

I haven't run either, but I did run coopers on my old tow rig... It didn't go so well... I decided to go up a rocky hill with it and my v10 decided to fillet the tread right off the steel belts. It was really weird and I had never seen anything like it before.

A couple week ago, I talked to another guy at a suds and grub who had done the same thing to a cooper.
I think it was clarksadventures

That being said- I don't recommend the coopers.

Yup, that was me you were talking with.

We use to run them on our oilfield trucks in utah/Colorado area. They worked great, until an unexpected fail that would leave you stranded. On more than one occasion I've seen the tread separate from the tire.

Maybe they've fixed it since then, but it still makes me weary.

xrocknrollx

Yup, that was me you were talking with.

We use to run them on our oilfield trucks in utah/Colorado area. They worked great, until an unexpected fail that would leave you stranded. On more than one occasion I've seen the tread separate from the tire.

Maybe they've fixed it since then, but it still makes me weary.

We only run DuraTracs on our oilfield trucks, as well as many other companies in WY.

xrocknrollx

How did they hold up? I was out in the bookcliff area a lot, and nothing about that area is easy on any of the equipment.

Did the duratracs run pretty well in the mud too?

They are good in the mud, as far as an overall tire for year around they are great. In Wyoming we have some of the worst glare ice roads that are known to shut down towns in the winter. The DuraTracks are an all around great tire for glare ice covered roads, due to the wind, an d muddy spring oilfield roads.

ClarksAdventures

They are good in the mud, as far as an overall tire for year around they are great. In Wyoming we have some of the worst glare ice roads that are known to shut down towns in the winter. The DuraTracks are an all around great tire for glare ice covered roads, due to the wind, an d muddy spring oilfield roads.

Those were some fun times in the field. Anyways, what would you say if you had to pick the nittos or coopers though?

xrocknrollx

Those were some fun times in the field. Anyways, what would you say if you had to pick the nittos or coopers though?

On my own personal jkur, I will most likely get nittos when it is time to upgrade, which I do not have personal experience with. But it's not my DD so the winter traction is not my main concern. If it was my DD, I would take the DuraTracs for their winter traction. I can't even count the Times that I have been stranded travelling on I-25 or I-80 due to the highways being closed in the winter, luckily the lesser travelled highways do not get shut down and I have never felt safer than on DuraTracks on state roads in a work truck, they are far above any other non studded truck tire in the winter.

EZ-E

I'm running 37" Cooper STTs on my JKU. Nitto's were on back order and the coopers were about $500 cheaper. They work pretty well, balance good and aren't super heavy. They do like to chunk in the rocks and after many OffRoad trips, it shows. Other than that, they are a great tire. Wear pretty slow. I think I'll tryout some Nitto's for my next set, though.

The Cooper plant in Findley OH (where these and ProComp tires are made) was recently purchased by an indian company and their were some union managenent issues that resulted in quality problems. I believe these have been resolved (or they have moved on) but this is still the oldest tire plant in the US and they are hardly using the latest in technology.

You may see this as a tried and true manufacturing, but i see it as poor tolerances and quality assurance.

ClarksAdventures

The Cooper plant in Findley OH (where these and ProComp tires are made) was recently purchased by an indian company and their were some union managenent issues that resulted in quality problems. I believe these have been resolved (or they have moved on) but this is still the oldest tire plant in the US and they are hardly using the latest in technology.

You may see this as a tried and true manufacturing, but i see it as poor tolerances and quality assurance.

Huh, I had no idea about any of that.
Thanks, that helps put things into perspective now.

VScott

Guess I will be getting the Nittos. The tire store (Major tire store) is quoting me $1750 for 5 35/12.50/17 out the door with RH warranty and lifetime balance and rotation. Oddly enough, they quote the same price for Coopers?

What are y'all paying for tires?

upnover

How recent? Last I read the Indian company tired to buy it but negotiations didn't work out and Cooper is still american owned.

07JKSahara

Guess I will be getting the Nittos. The tire store (Major tire store) is quoting me $1750 for 5 35/12.50/17 out the door with RH warranty and lifetime balance and rotation. Oddly enough, they quote the same price for Coopers?

What are y'all paying for tires?

That's what I paid. Same deal as you all around. Not cheap, but I think fair.

Top Bottom