Gear Dilemma

I am about to order gears for my JKUR, but with recent goal changes and breakages on my wife’s JK I will likely be moving the axles that are currently under my Jeep to hers when I get my PRs. It will be this time next year before I this will happen.

My plan was to go 5.13s with my Jeep. (Running 37s) but my Wife’s Jeep currently has 4.88s (running 35s) and we are happy with the gearing and do not plan to ever go larger on her Jeep. Since my axles are likely to end up under her Jeep would it be a mistake to instead gear my Jeep with 4.88s for the year?

I don’t mind regearing them later, but also wouldn’t mind not having to… I’m not 100k liquid or anything, but the cost of gears and rebuild kits is not a concern.

Thoughts?

Oh... Both our Jeeps are manuals (if it makes a difference)

utiadam

LOSER
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424714982.623447.jpg

I would say that you'll be fine with the 4.88. I'm debating between the 2 as well but leaning towards 5.13. Either one is a good ratio for 37s. I would just do the 4.88 and then order your pro rocks with the 5.13 later this year.

aermotor

Been doing a ton of research on this lately and I think you should just go with 5.13s now and never worry about it again. I've been running 35s on 4.10s for almost 5 years and it sucks. I'm moving up to 37s and will be going with 5.13s.

utiadam

LOSER
Been doing a ton of research on this lately and I think you should just go with 5.13s now and never worry about it again. I've been running 35s on 4.10s for almost 5 years and it sucks. I'm moving up to 37s and will be going with 5.13s.

But the axles are being moved to his wife's jeep with 35s within the year.

If they are going under her jeep I would just put in 4.88s then put the gears you want in your PRs

This is the way I am leaning... I know the front axle will find its way there. Jury is out on the rear but it is likely as it has better shafts in it. (hers are still stock)

BlackHawk08jk

This is the way I am leaning... I know the front axle will find its way there. Jury is out on the rear but it is likely as it has better shafts in it. (hers are still stock)

Eh even if you don't put the rear axle under it and regear to 5.13s you could keep the 4.88s to the side if you ever need them for hers

Top Bottom