Owens Valley Lava Tubes

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On our way home from the 2015 WAYALIFE Presidents Day Weekend Run, Cindy and I decided to do some exploring along the way and visit some old lava tubes that we haven't been to in a really long time. In fact, the more we thought about it, the more we realized that it may have been well over 15 years since the last time we were there. Of course, being that so much of what we love has since been ruined or destroyed by boneheads and vandals or closed by our government, we weren't sure of what we would find. But, as luck would have it, the tubes were still there and just as we remembered them. Here are some pics from our trip. :cool:

ATTENTION: If you know where these lava tubes are, PLEASE DO NOT post up their location. Thank you.

On our way to see if we can still get up to the lava tubes.
main.php

main.php

The last time we were here, it was well before we had a GPS and so we had to do this all from memory. Of course, that wasn't too easy when everything looks the same but somehow, we did find them again.
main.php

Three million years ago, two fault systems running the length of the Sierra Nevada and White Mountains became active and over the years, they helped create their steep escarpments and the graben known as the Owens Valley. This seismic activity also resulted in volcanic activity and many cinder cones from it can still be seen today. At one of the many cinder cones, there was once a lava flow that produced tubes that have since collapse and, here is the entrance to the one we know about.
main.php

Some shots from the inside of the first tube looking back out.
main.php

main.php

Some shots of ceiling drippings.
main.php

main.php

Took a shot of what the tube looks like beyond a small opening but, you'd literally have to belly crawl your way into it.
main.php

Taking a peek into the other tube and looking back out.
main.php

The only reason why you can get into these lava tubes is because the ceiling of the main tube collapsed. It now looks more like a trough and this is what it looks like.
main.php

Here you can see a part of the ceiling still arching out of the ground.
main.php

main.php

Hiking up the collapsed tube.
main.php

Looking back at Moby and the Owens Valley beyond.
main.php

I hope you enjoyed our little side trip up. Again, if you know where this place is, please keep it's location OFF the internet. Thank you.

Neat place indeed.

Number of years ago a few of us helped out a injured hiker that fell into one of the lava tubes and got broke up pretty good.

Haven't been back since. Been meaning to. Thanks for sharing the pics.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
That's pretty awesome Eddie thanks for sharing the pics :thumb:

I love to see places like that because it gives you a live look at the forces of nature that create parts of the world that we see today :yup:

Cool trip, thanks for the post and photos. We have a lava tube here in AZ, near Flagstaff. It's deeper and pretty long (3/4 mile) and averages about 20 feet wide and 15 feet clear height, thou a couple spots get down to only about three feet high. But amazingly, in the dead of summer it's air temp inside is around 38 degrees!!! It really neat to hike it! You'll need to check it out Eddie and Cindy, the next time you're pass'n through!:thumb:

cbetts

Ah yes . . . more memories of home! I used to play in those tubes as a kid. My brother and I went at least a a half-mile in one set. The tubes get tight but many of those ares you can slip through since the walls are like glass.

Top Bottom