Things to consider of Upgrade to PR60 Front

Txjkjpr

So, I've talked myself into upgrading to a PR60 front axle. I went back and forth between a PR44 and a PR60 and decided to spend the money once. Probably be next fall before I even order it, but wanted to see what other items I might be investing in so I can plan for it and break it to the wife:)

My current set up is a JKU Sport 3.8L with 44 in the rear 30 upfront, been re-geared to 4.88 and locked front and rear Eaton eLocker. (Yes I know that I spent stupid money on the D30, should of found this site sooner.) Have a 4" lift, Synergy draglink (not flipped), Synergy Tie Rod. From what I read I will have to change my wheel size to at least a 5 on 5.5, or should I just go ahead and go with a 6 or 8 lug? I plan on eventually upgrading the rear to a 60 as well, maybe the following summer, or should I wait and do both at the same time?

I am running 1310 Coast drivelines, will I have to change those as well?
Was told 5.13 gears at the least.

Is there anything I am missing? I am in an internet fog as to everything I might need.

Thanks.

Unless I missed it, the most important piece of information needed to make your next decisions is missing. Tire size. What tire diameter do you see running when you put the new drivetrain in the Jeep, and in the future?

Almost all your decisions will flow from that answer. 35's? 37's? 39's? 40's? 42's? Think about your long term vision for the Jeep. Axles are the most important (and perhaps biggest) investment, and the most important to the durability, performance and enjoyment you will get from that car.

Txjkjpr

Unless I missed it, the most important piece of information needed to make your next decisions is missing. Tire size. What tire diameter do you see running when you put the new drivetrain in the Jeep, and in the future?

Almost all your decisions will flow from that answer. 35's? 37's? 39's? 40's? 42's? Think about your long term vision for the Jeep. Axles are the most important (and perhaps biggest) investment, and the most important to the durability, performance and enjoyment you will get from that car.

Sorry, I plan on running 37" tires on 17" wheels. I really can't see going any bigger, but I've used that logic for my whole build. "I only want to do moderate trails..." but as time goes on and my experience increases I can see moving into more difficult trails where 40" would be beneficial.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Sorry, I plan on running 37" tires on 17" wheels. I really can't see going any bigger, but I've used that logic for my whole build. "I only want to do moderate trails..." but as time goes on and my experience increases I can see moving into more difficult trails where 40" would be beneficial.

I'm in a similar mind set as you, and will likely stick with 37s on the factory 44s until something gives, then make the jump to 40's, beadlocks, and PR axles

If you are not going to go any bigger than 37's a PR60 would be overkill. You can get the PR44 and run 37's just fine. Rubicat has the PR44 up front and a PR60 in the rear.

R/
Will

Txjkjpr

I'm in a similar mind set as you, and will likely stick with 37s on the factory 44s until something gives, then make the jump to 40's, beadlocks, and PR axles

Well that is my plan for the rear, run it until it gives out, however I have a Dana 30 up front and as I mentioned, I keep getting bolder and bolder in my trail selections and it wont be long before the D30 starts to smile at me:)

Txjkjpr

If you are not going to go any bigger than 37's a PR60 would be overkill. You can get the PR44 and run 37's just fine. Rubicat has the PR44 up front and a PR60 in the rear.

R/
Will

That was my original thought was to just upgrade the front to a PR44, but I didn't want to regret it later (JKX Colorado when the Rancho Jeep broke the front axle shaft "Shoulda gone 60" ). It definitely would be cheaper.

That was my original thought was to just upgrade the front to a PR44, but I didn't want to regret it later (JKX Colorado when the Rancho Jeep broke the front axle shaft "Shoulda gone 60" ). It definitely would be cheaper.

Yes but they were running a Hybrid 44/60 and I believe they were pushing 40's.

Top Bottom