Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Things to consider of Upgrade to PR60 Front

  1. #1
    Hooked Txjkjpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    149

    Things to consider of Upgrade to PR60 Front

    So, I've talked myself into upgrading to a PR60 front axle. I went back and forth between a PR44 and a PR60 and decided to spend the money once. Probably be next fall before I even order it, but wanted to see what other items I might be investing in so I can plan for it and break it to the wife

    My current set up is a JKU Sport 3.8L with 44 in the rear 30 upfront, been re-geared to 4.88 and locked front and rear Eaton eLocker. (Yes I know that I spent stupid money on the D30, should of found this site sooner.) Have a 4" lift, Synergy draglink (not flipped), Synergy Tie Rod. From what I read I will have to change my wheel size to at least a 5 on 5.5, or should I just go ahead and go with a 6 or 8 lug? I plan on eventually upgrading the rear to a 60 as well, maybe the following summer, or should I wait and do both at the same time?

    I am running 1310 Coast drivelines, will I have to change those as well?
    Was told 5.13 gears at the least.

    Is there anything I am missing? I am in an internet fog as to everything I might need.

    Thanks.
    "The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir

  2. #2
    Advertiser Dynatrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Posts
    196
    Unless I missed it, the most important piece of information needed to make your next decisions is missing. Tire size. What tire diameter do you see running when you put the new drivetrain in the Jeep, and in the future?

    Almost all your decisions will flow from that answer. 35's? 37's? 39's? 40's? 42's? Think about your long term vision for the Jeep. Axles are the most important (and perhaps biggest) investment, and the most important to the durability, performance and enjoyment you will get from that car.


    www.dynatrac.com
    Customer Support Phone: 714-596-4461
    Customer Support email: expeditor@dynatrac.com

  3. #3
    Hooked Txjkjpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
    Unless I missed it, the most important piece of information needed to make your next decisions is missing. Tire size. What tire diameter do you see running when you put the new drivetrain in the Jeep, and in the future?

    Almost all your decisions will flow from that answer. 35's? 37's? 39's? 40's? 42's? Think about your long term vision for the Jeep. Axles are the most important (and perhaps biggest) investment, and the most important to the durability, performance and enjoyment you will get from that car.
    Sorry, I plan on running 37" tires on 17" wheels. I really can't see going any bigger, but I've used that logic for my whole build. "I only want to do moderate trails..." but as time goes on and my experience increases I can see moving into more difficult trails where 40" would be beneficial.
    "The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir

  4. #4
    Old Timer DWiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Txjkjpr View Post
    Sorry, I plan on running 37" tires on 17" wheels. I really can't see going any bigger, but I've used that logic for my whole build. "I only want to do moderate trails..." but as time goes on and my experience increases I can see moving into more difficult trails where 40" would be beneficial.
    I'm in a similar mind set as you, and will likely stick with 37s on the factory 44s until something gives, then make the jump to 40's, beadlocks, and PR axles

  5. #5
    -
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Txjkjpr View Post
    Sorry, I plan on running 37" tires on 17" wheels. I really can't see going any bigger, but I've used that logic for my whole build. "I only want to do moderate trails..." but as time goes on and my experience increases I can see moving into more difficult trails where 40" would be beneficial.
    If you are not going to go any bigger than 37's a PR60 would be overkill. You can get the PR44 and run 37's just fine. Rubicat has the PR44 up front and a PR60 in the rear.

    R/
    Will

  6. #6
    Hooked Txjkjpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    I'm in a similar mind set as you, and will likely stick with 37s on the factory 44s until something gives, then make the jump to 40's, beadlocks, and PR axles
    Well that is my plan for the rear, run it until it gives out, however I have a Dana 30 up front and as I mentioned, I keep getting bolder and bolder in my trail selections and it wont be long before the D30 starts to smile at me
    "The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir

  7. #7
    Hooked Txjkjpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Canvas JK View Post
    If you are not going to go any bigger than 37's a PR60 would be overkill. You can get the PR44 and run 37's just fine. Rubicat has the PR44 up front and a PR60 in the rear.

    R/
    Will
    That was my original thought was to just upgrade the front to a PR44, but I didn't want to regret it later (JKX Colorado when the Rancho Jeep broke the front axle shaft "Shoulda gone 60" ). It definitely would be cheaper.
    "The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir

  8. #8
    -
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Txjkjpr View Post
    That was my original thought was to just upgrade the front to a PR44, but I didn't want to regret it later (JKX Colorado when the Rancho Jeep broke the front axle shaft "Shoulda gone 60" ). It definitely would be cheaper.
    Yes but they were running a Hybrid 44/60 and I believe they were pushing 40's.

  9. #9
    Caught the Bug LeJerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    85
    I don't think he is buying new axles for a "car".

  10. #10
    Been Around the Block jkur77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    307
    I am also considering the pr60. Are the prosteer ball joints worth the extra money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS