Maintenance

desertrunner

Hey guys and gals so my jeep is getting a little TLC this weekend an i am doing some long overdue maintenance, tranny fluid, t-case fluid etc. Im hoping some ppl on here can help me out with the list of routine stuff as well as some maybe non routine things that i havent thought of or dont know how to do.

on the to do list (all backed by some awesome write ups by Eddie :thumb:)

engine oil change
diff oil change
tranny fluid change
t- case fluid change
greasing up all my zurk fittings (could use help with a list of all the ones that should be done so i dont miss any)

possible ones i was contemplating but have no idea how often they should be changed???

brake fluid change?
power steering fluid change?

and finally give my suspension a good re torque

any other routine/not so routine mtx i should be doing or considering??? jeep has 80K on it (only 31K on the motor that was replaced about 15k ago, LONG STORY) bought the jeep with 54K on it and have done all the typical mtx i could think of since i bought it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You don't need to change brake fluid or power steering fluid. In fact I wouldn't do it because you'll have to bleed both systems.

desertrunner

I bled the brakes when I put in the new lines for my lift, it was pretty easy so I wouldn't really mind doing it again just didnt know if that fluid should be changed or how often either the brake fluid or power steering fluid needed changing its gotta get dirty with use some time

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm going to guess you put new anti-freeze in it when the motor got swapped?

Check the following:

serpentine belt

brake pads & lines

battery cables for corrosion

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
On the not routine side:

- Remove each door, clean & lube the hinges, clean and apply gasket conditioner to the rubber then re-install them. Now you'll be able to open/close them and easily remove them when it warms up.

- Open your air box, check the filter and remove the crud from inside it.

- Remove and clean your throttle body.

linehand08

You don't need to change brake fluid or power steering fluid. In fact I wouldn't do it because you'll have to bleed both systems.

Yea this guy could not be more wrong. You should change brake fluid 75 to a 100k or there about it does get dirty to and over time corrosive to rubber. They make bleeder's that make it easy...

Last edited:

Mjay

Aside from what you've listed in the original post I would check out the engine air filter, and cabin air filter if you have one.

srosario

I cleaned my eesorvoir, and flush the lines, pretty easy

Attachments

• 1425113139599.jpg
    1425113139599.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 166

desertrunner

How about does anyone have a solid list of all the zerk fittings to grease? There are a ton

Drag link, tie rod, drive shaft...?
Also any specific grease that needs to be used for different components?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How about does anyone have a solid list of all the zerk fittings to grease? There are a ton

Drag link, tie rod, drive shaft...?
Also any specific grease that needs to be used for different components?

If it's factory components there are none. Aftermarket would be different in every part. Depends what you have.

DMF

Hey guys and gals so my jeep is getting a little TLC this weekend an i am doing some long overdue maintenance, tranny fluid, t-case fluid etc. Im hoping some ppl on here can help me out with the list of routine stuff as well as some maybe non routine things that i havent thought of or dont know how to do.

on the to do list (all backed by some awesome write ups by Eddie :thumb:)

engine oil change
diff oil change
tranny fluid change
t- case fluid change
greasing up all my zurk fittings (could use help with a list of all the ones that should be done so i dont miss any)

possible ones i was contemplating but have no idea how often they should be changed???

brake fluid change?
power steering fluid change?

and finally give my suspension a good re torque

any other routine/not so routine mtx i should be doing or considering??? jeep has 80K on it (only 31K on the motor that was replaced about 15k ago, LONG STORY) bought the jeep with 54K on it and have done all the typical mtx i could think of since i bought it.

I tried to copy and paste this thread from another forum but couldn't on my phone. If someone can do that for me please so we don't have to go to another forum. I just thought this was really informative about brakes.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/brakes/brakes-101-class-is-in-t19819.html

Top Bottom