Stupid bumper is in the way!

ClarksAdventures

I just got my new 35" trail grapplers. They look great, drive great, and can't wait to get them dirty next weekend. Only one problem, I'm to poor at the moment to get the rear bumper with tire carrier that I want. So I need to mount the spare on the tailgate for now. I've addressed the rubber isolator problem, but...

1- the top of the tire hits the brake light.
2- the bottom of the tire hits the bumper and won't allow it to close.

Any solutions other than having to take off the bumper and run without it?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425154420.050373.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425154436.397507.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425154449.717505.jpg

07JKSahara

You can get the spacer, I think Rock Hard makes one.

I cut and modded the brake light in like you did, but I took the bumper off. No spacer needed then. I took it off and happy I did, love the look.

Sucks you might need a new sticker though.

ClarksAdventures

You can get the spacer, I think Rock Hard makes one.

I cut and modded the brake light in like you did, but I took the bumper off. No spacer needed then. I took it off and happy I did, love the look.

Sucks you might need a new sticker though.

What does the spacer space exactly?

And I'm rather attached to that sticker. But the jeep does need a spare so I gotta do what I gotta do.

Tree Frog

Hey Gavin here is a link to a Spare Tire Relocation Bracket that our buddies up at Northridge sell. Great price! They have several different models but as you only want it temporarily then this is the way to go. http://www.northridge4x4.com/mbrp-jk-2007-15-off-camber-fabrications-spare-tire-relocate-bracket?
I am not sure on this part but if you enter WAYALIFE in the coupon code during check out you may get an additional 10% off. Cant beat that.
Most stuff I get in 1-2 day way down here. Just check with them first to see if it is in THEIR stock or if it has to come from a vendor.

I started building one in the shape of a Pentastar then realized that my Method wheels were offset enough that I did not even need a relocation bracket.
I may still have the plates around here all drilled out. You would just have to figure out the spacer tube length required and the angle you need.

But heck for 35 bucks (or less) even a cheapskate like me would not mess with it.

I bet you could sell it once you are done using it and get most if not all your money back.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just got my new 35" trail grapplers. They look great, drive great, and can't wait to get them dirty next weekend. Only one problem, I'm to poor at the moment to get the rear bumper with tire carrier that I want. So I need to mount the spare on the tailgate for now. I've addressed the rubber isolator problem, but...

1- the top of the tire hits the brake light.
2- the bottom of the tire hits the bumper and won't allow it to close.

Any solutions other than having to take off the bumper and run without

Don't worry about it hitting the break light.

As far as closing just lift the tailgate up a little each time you close it. The rear bumper will actually help support the tire and help it from wobbling/jiggling even more and drastically increase the life of your tailgate.

ClarksAdventures

Don't worry about it hitting the break light.

As far as closing just lift the tailgate up a little each time you close it. The rear bumper will actually help support the tire and help it from wobbling/jiggling even more and drastically increase the life of your tailgate.

Lift it up? I'm probably about a 1/2" shy at the moment. Does that seem like a lot to try and lift, or am I over thinking things a little?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Lift it up? I'm probably about a 1/2" shy at the moment. Does that seem like a lot to try and lift, or am I over thinking things a little?

Yea the weight of the tire will pull your tailgate down when open. Lift the tailgate up a little when closing at it will clear. When I had my 315's (slightly bigger than your sidewall marked 35) on the stock carrier and the stock bumper still I had to lift my tailgate up, at the door handle, ever so slightly to get it to clear and close.

ClarksAdventures

Yea the weight of the tire will pull your tailgate down when open. Lift the tailgate up a little when closing at it will clear. When I had my 315's (slightly bigger than your sidewall marked 35) on the stock carrier and the stock bumper still I had to lift my tailgate up, at the door handle, ever so slightly to get it to clear and close.

Not sure what I was doing wrong. Just couldn't get it to work. I'm doing a rubicon trip in August. By then I'll have my new bumper, so it will only be a few month. I ordered a spacer on Amazon for $30. I'll see how that works.

Wouldn't it be nice just to be able to order the wrangler with 35's or 37's from the get go.

Top Bottom