Steering box adjustment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I'm missing something but, what do you mean by tightening up the steering? What exactly are you feeling?

BumblebeeZA

Where in the gear box is the adjustment to tighten the steering. Thank you

EDIT: I see you posted its a 2013 - Why not send it into the dealer under warranty?

On the RHD 3.8L JK's its under the airbox.
If you follow your steering column under the hood from where it comes from the cab, about 2 - 3 foot down the column it joins at the steering box, ontop of the steering box you will see a nut with a Allen key bolt in the middle.
You loosen the nut and turn the allen bolt.

It highly not recommended to do this and I was a fool trying, I havent had issues.... YET :shock:

Good luck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On the RHD 3.8L JK's its under the airbox.
If you follow your steering column under the hood from where it comes from the cab, about 2 - 3 foot down the column it joins at the steering box, ontop of the steering box you will see a nut with a Allen key bolt in the middle.
You loosen the nut and turn the allen bolt.

It highly not recommended to do this and I was a fool trying, I havent had issues.... YET :shock:

Good luck

That nut you are referring to is to set the backlash on the steering gear and as you have mentioned, you DO NOT want to adjust this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just looked at your profile and see that you have a ram assist. That won't help you on the highway any either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So a front alignment should help

Not exactly - more positive caster will help BUT, that comes with a double edge sword. Too much positive caster will lead to drive line vibrations. You need to get to at least factory caster which is about +4°. BUT, even at that, you may still have flighty handling due to your ram assist.

Either way, this is something you should do yourself. Taking your jeep into a shop will just be a waste of money.

Dean454

Not exactly - more positive caster will help BUT, that comes with a double edge sword. Too much positive caster will lead to drive line vibrations. You need to get to at least factory caster which is about +4°. BUT, even at that, you may still have flighty handling due to your ram assist.

Either way, this is something you should do yourself. Taking your jeep into a shop will just be a waste of money.

Do you have any steering issues like this on moby

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any steering issues like this on moby

Not entirely sure what you mean by "issues". I've been driving big Jeeps with big tires and ram assists for a long time and so I'm pretty used to the steering feeling sensitive but I wouldn't call it an "issue". Basically, I never grip the steering wheel tightly as that can easily cause over correction at highway speeds but out side of that, no, I don't have any issues with flightiness.

cmireles

Okay, that helps a lot. Sounds to me like you have too little positive caster. That's where you should be focusing your efforts.

Sorry for the hijack but my steering likewise has been really loose for the past 4-6 months or so, but I have all factory suspension components so my caster shouldn't have changed. Any suggestions there?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the hijack but my steering likewise has been really loose for the past 4-6 months or so, but I have all factory suspension components so my caster shouldn't have changed. Any suggestions there?

Yeah, I would start off by checking your ball joints, unit bearings, tie-rod ends and joint bushing for any signs of abnormal play or failure. Could be that it's just time to replace some worn out components.

jeeeep

Hooked
do you have a PSC? if so , which system did you go with? the firm feel (stock feeling) or the light feel - will make it feel loose at higher speeds.

Top Bottom