Boycott these ANTI Jeeping company's

A recent FB post caught my attention. The following is a letter from the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance that was sent to the President in favor of stifling off-road use and wanting him to proclaim land around MOAB UT a national monument. http://www.suwa.org/.../uploads/OutdoorRetailersLetter.pdf
I for one love the scenic countryside that I live in. There is nothing I want more than to protect this land that we live in and ensure that for generations to come, fellow enthusiasts can enjoy the trails that we have today. BUT, I don't think they really understand what they are asking the President to do. There is a list of companies that have signed this letter. I want to make as many people as possible aware of who is trying to shut down our trails. Only one company (Camp Chef) recalled their signature with a formal letter. I say BOYCOTT the other companies!!! I for one will no longer support those who want to take my trails away from me and my family!! Jeep on!!!!!

EDIT: the link isn't working anymore. I will post pictures of the 6 page PDF of the letter and accompanied supporters to follow

Last edited:

weller12

Unfortunately, many of these companies are rock climbing suppliers...sucks that they want to close it down for some to enjoy, but allow others to hike out and climb.

I've ran into all types of people climbing, who didn't give a rats behind about the environment, and to see a blanket statement like that is frustrating.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Unfortunately, many of these companies are rock climbing suppliers...sucks that they want to close it down for some to enjoy, but allow others to hike out and climb.

I've ran into all types of people climbing, who didn't give a rats behind about the environment, and to see a blanket statement like that is frustrating.

I totally agree. As a former climber, I find it ironic that these companies consider themselves such stewards of the land. Climbers routinely hammer bolt hangers into rocks to create sport routes. Once those routes are created, there is a never ending supply of white chalk left all over the holds on the rock faces, not to mention the chains or slings at the top of each route set up for top roping or descending.

On top of that, many climbers are notoriously cheap. I'd love to see a comparison of the amount of money poured into the Moab community over EJS versus the biggest climbing week of the year. I'd also love to see how many climbers are actually out there donating their time to help preserve marked trails and eradicate unmarked trails.

Sorry, but most of the climbers I've met in my day were pretty much dirtbags living in cars.

Tree Frog

In the first place no one signed the "letter"
Are we to interpret the listing of a companies name and address as a signature, as having given approval to the above document being prepared and distributed in their name?
They could have at least gotten the CEO/ Owner of each company to sign this letter.

If I had nothing better to do it would be interesting to write some letters to a few of these companies and let them know the adverse effect's their decision to support this stupid idea will cost them in the long run.

Two, I wonder if the douche that wrote this fully understands just what a National Park is?
It would lock this land down so tight you could not pound a pin up its butt with a sledge hammer.

Take Crater Lake for example. It is almost scary to go there for fear you may break some damn rule and end up fined or worse.

In the first place no one signed the "letter"
Are we to interpret the listing of a companies name and address as a signature, as having given approval to the above document being prepared and distributed in their name?
They could have at least gotten the CEO/ Owner of each company to sign this letter.

If I had nothing better to do it would be interesting to write some letters to a few of these companies and let them know the adverse effect's their decision to support this stupid idea will cost them in the long run.

Two, I wonder if the douche that wrote this fully understands just what a National Park is?
It would lock this land down so tight you could not pound a pin up its butt with a sledge hammer.

Take Crater Lake for example. It is almost scary to go there for fear you may break some damn rule and end up fined or worse.

I hear ya.

Yes, the letter was originally signed from what I understand. Yes, the SUWA knows exactly what they are asking for! The companies that have signed were contacted by one of the owners of Area BFE ( at least that's my understanding) and he explained the consequences. That's why Camp Chef wrote a withdrawal letter.

Definately a bummer to see patagonia and northface on there. Oh well, guess if they dont back my lifestyle, i wont back theirs

Jackal01

Wow. I support many of these companies with their outstanding products: Northface, Camelbak, Marmot, Petzl, Black Diamond, Osprey. I thought I would have seen REI on there for that matter. Fortunately not.

Obummer won't get this done. Actually, I bet he would focus more attention on this than terrorists and ACA.

big dr

Camelbak has always been run by hippies! They used to sell great hydration bladders in many off road(motorcycle) intended products. A few years ago they stopped selling to anyone that had anything to do with an internal combustion motor. I'm happy to spend my money with other companies.

Sc741

I am a climber and purchase from at least 12 of these companies often and I own a big ASS Jeep! These types of letters piss me off!

Top Bottom