Dynatrac Prosteer Ball Joints

desertrunner

About to hit submit on my order for these bad boys but i had a few questions first. Is the $10 installation kit worth buying? Also in regards to the older ones vs the new low pro ones since i have an 08 it shouldnt matter which i get? (not sure if they are still selling the original ones or not?)

I plan on just renting the autozone tool kit for this as well dont know if that makes a difference for buying the $10 install kit.

For anyone who has installed a set of these what are some tips and tricks that will hopefully make this less painful? I installed a new set of ball joints with my buddy on his XJ last summer and i remember it being a huge PITA and taking us way longer than we wanted but for the life of me i cant remember what made it so difficult. I am hoping this one will be a bit smoother

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If the ball joint press you rent has the angled adapter it might make the job easier. I didn't use one or order the install kit. Might be worth the 10 bucks. Great ball joints!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have not used the $10 installation kit you are referring to and to be honest, I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Being that you have an 08, no, it won't matter which lower ProSteers you get. So long as you have a ball joint press WITH the right Chrysler adapter, the job won't be too bad - just a bit time consuming.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If I remember, it was just a washer and a little angled collar looking thing. It's the little silver looking thing. The washer went on top.
Another thing I would do is put some rubber hose or something on the threads when pressing them in. I nicked my threads and took extra time to fix.

Attachments

• 1425654944703.jpg
    1425654944703.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 328

desertrunner

Have not used the $10 installation kit you are referring to and to be honest, I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Being that you have an 08, no, it won't matter which lower ProSteers you get. So long as you have a ball joint press WITH the right Chrysler adapter, the job won't be too bad - just a bit time consuming.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/drivetrain/front-axle-components/ball-joints/dynatrac-jk-2007-15-heavy-duty-ball-joint-installation-tool-kit-jp44-1x3050-b

This was the kit i was talking about. not even too sure where its supposed to be used, maybe like an extra shelf for the cups to push on :thinking:

and ill make sure to ask about the Chrysler adapter when i go rent it thanks :thumb:

desertrunner

If I remember, it was just a washer and a little angled collar looking thing. It's the little silver looking thing. The washer went on top.
Another thing I would do is put some rubber hose or something on the threads when pressing them in. I nicked my threads and took extra time to fix.

ok that makes sense

and thanks for the tip on the threads

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I ordered them because I was new to installing ball joints. What the "kit" is is a couple of correctly sized washers that fit perfectly onto the ball joints to give you a flat pressing surface. They mainly come in handy of you are using a non-dana ball joint press. I ordered a ball joint press kit off of Amazon that us tailored to Dana axles. It came with the correct pressing adapters that were angled and fit perfectly on the ProSteers. The install kit from Dynatrac was not necessary.

sassmouth

I ordered them because I was new to installing ball joints. What the "kit" is is a couple of correctly sized washers that fit perfectly onto the ball joints to give you a flat pressing surface. They mainly come in handy of you are using a non-dana ball joint press. I ordered a ball joint press kit off of Amazon that us tailored to Dana axles. It came with the correct pressing adapters that were angled and fit perfectly on the ProSteers. The install kit from Dynatrac was not necessary.

Which kit specifically did you get from amazon?

Sc741

The driver side is very easy no matter what you use. The passenger side is the difficult one because of the rotation of the tool and not having the proper tools. I have changed a few out. It is tedious but manageable without any additional kits. The first Amazon kit would be helpful if you plan on doing more than one jeep or if you want to be able to zip them in and out as the drivers side have been for me.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
so i went over and rented the ball joint press to help me get out a seized track bar bolt and this is exactly what the kit looked like
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRGXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didnt see any angled adapters or anything and i dont particularly want to buy my own press and adapter kit unless i have to, so maybe the $10 tool would come in handy :thinking:

The adapter may help, but it is not angled. It is just a correctly sized "washer" that sits on top to the ball joints while you are pressing. The angled adapters make it really easy to line up the ball joint press and helps ensure you are pressing the new joints squarely into the bore.

desertrunner

The adapter may help, but it is not angled. It is just a correctly sized "washer" that sits on top to the ball joints while you are pressing. The angled adapters make it really easy to line up the ball joint press and helps ensure you are pressing the new joints squarely into the bore.

roger :thumb:

desertrunner

Ball joints showed up to the house yesterday :rock: getting ready to install in the next day or two but i was just curious how often do these things need greased? And im assuming they are pre greased from the factory so i dont have to grease them right when i put them in?

desertrunner

so just thought i would share my little tid bit of improvising with the autozone ball joint press and the autozone 4wd ball joint press adapter kit. I just put my drivers side lower in but the stack was too tall with the supplied adapters or the C press too short to fit, so i found this floor flange in the plumbing section of lowes for $4 thought i would give it a try.

All the pieces used

IMAG4858[1].jpg

What the stack looked like

IMAG4859[1].jpg

Looks to me like it pressed in just fine :D anyone think it looks off?

IMAG4861[1].jpg
IMAG4864[1].jpg
IMAG4866[1].jpg

desertrunner

Update on the floor flange improvisation

well back to the drawing board the floor flange broke while trying to put in the passenger side lower :naw:

IMAG4868[1].jpg IMAG4869[1].jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
well back to the drawing board the floor flange broke while trying to put in the passenger side lower :naw:

Ugh, that sucks man. Just curious, are you applying never-seize to the ball joints prior to installing? I can't tell from the pictures, and maybe you've done a great job cleaning up the mess it leaves behind, but it will help during the pressing process.

Good luck!

desertrunner

Ugh, that sucks man. Just curious, are you applying never-seize to the ball joints prior to installing? I can't tell from the pictures, and maybe you've done a great job cleaning up the mess it leaves behind, but it will help during the pressing process.

Good luck!

OH YES most definitely i applied a liberal amount of anti seize. Being that my jeep has been in colorado most its life i have bulk in my garage PB blaster and anti seize haha i know all to well how a few seized bolts can triple install time. i just cleaned it up puuurty before snapping the pic ;)

and hey in regards to the pipe fitting im just gonna go buy another one. $8 is still cheaper than a $70 adapter kit haha and supposedly i should never need new ball joints again :fingerscrossed: and wont have to worry about it

Top Bottom