Suspension lift vs coilover conversion??

Jake Wilson

Hey guys and gals,

Ok so I am a newbie. I want to re-lift my jeep and I want to do it right. However, I can't decide what lift I want to run. I know I want 4"+ but I cannot decide between a normal lift or a coilover conversion. What exactly is the difference between the two? It will be a daily driver and a weekend warrior so I want something that is great on the road and off. That being said I also don't want to sit on the sidelines when we do meet ups. I am willing to spend the extra money on a coilover IF it really is that much better. So let me know guys. Thanks!:thinking:

07JKSahara

Hey guys and gals,

Ok so I am a newbie. I want to re-lift my jeep and I want to do it right. However, I can't decide what lift I want to run. I know I want 4"+ but I cannot decide between a normal lift or a coilover conversion. What exactly is the difference between the two? It will be a daily driver and a weekend warrior so I want something that is great on the road and off. That being said I also don't want to sit on the sidelines when we do meet ups. I am willing to spend the extra money on a coilover IF it really is that much better. So let me know guys. Thanks!:thinking:

I rode in rubiricks coilover jeep. Big difference, mine doesn't ride bad, but at high speed his would eat mine up.

But, it's about how you use it. High speed in dirt, no question coilovers. Capable rig in the rocks, either way.

Edit, saw you're in Hi. I'd do coils and good shocks, not many high speed deserts in Oahu.

Jake Wilson

I rode in rubiricks coilover jeep. Big difference, mine doesn't ride bad, but at high speed his would eat mine up.

But, it's about how you use it. High speed in dirt, no question coilovers. Capable rig in the rocks, either way.

Edit, saw you're in Hi. I'd do coils and good shocks, not many high speed deserts in Oahu.

Yea I won't be doing any high speed trails, haha. So is that the only advantage to a coilover? If so then why do so many people on here get it?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Yea I won't be doing any high speed trails, haha. So is that the only advantage to a coilover? If so then why do so many people on here get it?

Honestly the coilovers offer a great ride, great flex and superior handling in high speed whoops through the desert.

Keep in mind that coilovers are more than most people need, with your DD and lack of hard and fast trails, I would stick to a good cool lift with good shocks.

As far as why most people go with them here? Well hard to say. I would venture to say that most people actually have coil lifts and Coilovers are not as popular as you would think.

Jake Wilson

Honestly the coilovers offer a great ride, great flex and superior handling in high speed whoops through the desert.

Keep in mind that coilovers are more than most people need, with your DD and lack of hard and fast trails, I would stick to a good cool lift with good shocks.

As far as why most people go with them here? Well hard to say. I would venture to say that most people actually have coil lifts and Coilovers are not as popular as you would think.

Ok so with that being said, do you have a personal opinion on who to go with? I was thinking maybe Teraflex? Also when I do a long arm kit. Is there anything else I am going to need to do? I have heard people mention the Drive Shaft??

07JKSahara

I would consider others than TF. For the money you can get a smoother ride for a DD. I have Rock Krawler springs and I'm happy, but many people like evo plush rides.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ok so with that being said, do you have a personal opinion on who to go with? I was thinking maybe Teraflex? Also when I do a long arm kit. Is there anything else I am going to need to do? I have heard people mention the Drive Shaft??

I would stay away from teraflex. Their lifts offer crappy control at bushings. Their lifts are tall (4" is really a 5") and their coils are STIFF.

If you want to drop coin on a good lift go with the EVO Double D Long arm Lift. Or the EVO Enforcer which is what I run.

When lifting your '12+ Jeep more than 3" your front driveshaft pinion angle is too steep and your driveshaft will make contact with your exhaust. You can solve this by adding a new driveshaft with a double cardan joint like those sold by JE Reel or Adams. This is for a 4door which is what I think you have. If you have a 2 door you'll need a rear driveshaft as well.

Might I ask why you want to install a long arm lift?

Jake Wilson

I would stay away from teraflex. Their lifts offer crappy control at bushings. Their lifts are tall (4" is really a 5") and their coils are STIFF.

If you want to drop coin on a good lift go with the EVO Double D Long arm Lift. Or the EVO Enforcer which is what I run.

When lifting your '12+ Jeep more than 3" your front driveshaft pinion angle is too steep and your driveshaft will make contact with your exhaust. You can solve this by adding a new driveshaft with a double cardan joint like those sold by JE Reel or Adams. This is for a 4door which is what I think you have. If you have a 2 door you'll need a rear driveshaft as well.

Might I ask why you want to install a long arm lift?

Ok so I'll look at EVO. What exactly makes the "Double D"? Like what is Double D? What is the difference between the Enforcer and the DD? I have a 4 door. How much would something like the driveshaft cost me? I have a short arm on mine now and I want to run 37's someday. I can't do it with the way it is now it will scrape in the back. Also I figured I would rather do this right now then have to do it again later. Also mine rides super rough now and I am about to have a second hip surgery so plush would be nice lol

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ok so I'll look at EVO. What exactly makes the "Double D"? Like what is Double D? What is the difference between the Enforcer and the DD? I have a 4 door. How much would something like the driveshaft cost me? I have a short arm on mine now and I want to run 37's someday. I can't do it with the way it is now it will scrape in the back. Also I figured I would rather do this right now then have to do it again later. Also mine rides super rough now and I am about to have a second hip surgery so plush would be nice lol

The Double D is the long arm version of the Enforcer lift. The standard Enforcer comes with lower front adjustable control arms, extended bumpstops, a set of longer stainless steel brake lines, a rear raised track bar bracket and your choice of 3" or 4" plush ride coils.

The long arm kit is nice if you run 37's or larger as it makes your Jeep have better road manners. You can always upgrade to the EVO Bolt-on long arm kit afterwards. I suggest starting with the enforcer and get some Rancho or Bilstein shocks. Or shell out the coin for Kings.

Depending on what DS you get, you're looking at $300-$650 for an aftermarket DS.

Jake Wilson

The Double D is the long arm version of the Enforcer lift. The standard Enforcer comes with lower front adjustable control arms, extended bumpstops, a set of longer stainless steel brake lines, a rear raised track bar bracket and your choice of 3" or 4" plush ride coils.

The long arm kit is nice if you run 37's or larger as it makes your Jeep have better road manners. You can always upgrade to the EVO Bolt-on long arm kit afterwards. I suggest starting with the enforcer and get some Rancho or Bilstein shocks. Or shell out the coin for Kings.

Depending on what DS you get, you're looking at $300-$650 for an aftermarket DS.

Well if I wait to do the long arm its gonna cost me $400... however, I wasn't expecting to have to spend another $300- $600 either so I may have to wait... Got another question. What is the difference between a shock and a shock with a reservoir?

07JKSahara

Well if I wait to do the long arm its gonna cost me $400... however, I wasn't expecting to have to spend another $300- $600 either so I may have to wait... Got another question. What is the difference between a shock and a shock with a reservoir?

The reservoir helps cool things down. The cycle of the shock going up and down creates heat and the reservoir provides more surface area to cool it. Shocks will fade if they get too hot.

07JKSahara

Jake Wilson

Looks right, but I would call. They'll know the right questions to ask.

Ok will do! Last thing I promise. With both the EVO MFG ENFORCER and the EVO MFG Double D all I will need is a driveshaft correct? I do not want any surprises lol For example will my track bars work with those kits or do they come with there own?

Torqt JK

Ok will do! Last thing I promise. With both the EVO MFG ENFORCER and the EVO MFG Double D all I will need is a driveshaft correct? I do not want any surprises lol For example will my track bars work with those kits or do they come with there own?

You will need a front driveshaft, 1310 or 1350. You can use your stock track bars. I highly recommend a draglink flip kit to help with steering

10frank9

Web Wheeler

I would recommend the EVO drag link flip. This will raise your drag link on top of your Knuckle and improve your steering geometry. Secondly it raises your front track bar mount.

Your stock track bars will do just fine. Lots to take in but if you want a good starter kit I suggest the following:

1. EVO Mfg Enforcer kit
2. Rancho 7000's shocks
3. EVO Mfg drag link flip
4. Front 1350 driveshaft (if you plan on running g 37's)
JE Reel makes a good product with made in the USA Neapco U Joints. If you go with another company make sure you get them with Neapco or Spicer U Joints.

Jake Wilson

I would recommend the EVO drag link flip. This will raise your drag link on top of your Knuckle and improve your steering geometry. Secondly it raises your front track bar mount.

Your stock track bars will do just fine. Lots to take in but if you want a good starter kit I suggest the following:

1. EVO Mfg Enforcer kit
2. Rancho 7000's shocks
3. EVO Mfg drag link flip
4. Front 1350 driveshaft (if you plan on running g 37's)
JE Reel makes a good product with made in the USA Neapco U Joints. If you go with another company make sure you get them with Neapco or Spicer U Joints.

JK Front 1350 Rock Crawler CV Driveshaft

http://www.adamsdriveshaftoffroad.c...fts/jk-front-1350-rock-crawler-cv-driveshaft/

Will that work?

Top Bottom