Hid headlights

Bryan__howell

After driving a lot at night with my stock headlights, I'm done with it. I need something brighter. I have a couple light bars but never ever turn them on while on the street. Would like to get some trucklites but do not have the money right now. I'm considering hids. I want to go ahead and get the 55w bulbs but notice some people have issues on connectors melting. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
honestly, i would say just wait and save up for the truck-lites.
i contemplated doing the same thing when i had my stock headlights. the 2 main reasons i didnt do it was, i never liked the fact that when you put hids in stock reflectors. no matter how much you aim them their always going to shoot sporadically everywhere. more so the higher wattage you go.
secondly, i live where there is alot of mud. and having all those exposed connectors and ballast'. i just didnt want to deal with the headache of it getting wet/messed up and having them go out and wasting my money when it could have gone to saving up for some truck-lites.

Kalums

I had HIDs in my 08, no problems. I did make sure they were not the 55w (they will melt the stock light housing, and/or the connecters) but I got a good name brand set (not the cheap eBay garbage) I put a better washer /seal on the light and made sure to get the water proof ballasts, oh and I got 5000k color. Didn't really like the blue tinted colors.

MICP3309

I second saving your $$ for Truckles. Remember, your putting a HID bulb into a non HID housing, so it won't be the same as a true HID. My friend has a set of the non 55w (for the melting reasons mentioned) and has had a ton of problems. 1 side will work and 1 won't. And the fact his actually moves the bulb forward and back for Hi or Lo.. after a hard trail ride, he almost always has problems with something having been knocked loose.

toxicwaste29

My brother had HID's in his truck. Eventually when driving when day the bulb fell out of the headlight housing, melted the wiring insulator and shorted the wires. Sure enough his truck ended up on fire after being parked for about 10 minutes.

Jackal01

Ah. Yea. You're one of those guys that not only puts HID in a non projector housing but then gets a 55 watt kit instead of a 35 watt so it is even worse for everyone else on the road. Light scatter is bad enough but then to do 55 watt? Do all the other drivers on road a favor and just save for trucklites. I had good experience with Sylvania Xtravision, you could try those. But again...TLs are hands down the best and cheapest headlight upgrade. It is worth the wait. Surely you notice the car's on the road that look like the sun with their lowbeams on. That is HID in non projector housing and probably with 55 watts.

Edit. I was "one of those" guys about 8 years ago and it was a mistake (before I knew better). I put a 35 watt kit in a halogen housing. Nothing happened to the truck but light scatter and high beam flash from other drivers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom