Torque wrench

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Snap on is the best. I don't have snap on, I bought some Amazon specials. Tekton or something. So far so good.

Before China freight gets mentioned...

Snap On

Snap-On is the best hands down if my job required me to have one; however being a part time mechanic on my Jeep and not having my torque wrench calibrated on regular schedule I would recommend getting a China Freight one. If that is not what you want then get a Craftsman one. The only draw back with getting a Snap-On, Mac, Matco or Cornwell tools is finding a distributor.

:twocents:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
To be honest I bought a HF one for 9.99 wit cupin. I use it all the time when rotating, installing part. I have over 74,000 on my rig and have not had a problem if that means anything. In fact when I bought my Jeep I had to get tools to work on it courtesy of HF. To each their own.

JeepFan

Hooked
Craftsman makes a good 1/2" drive 20-150 ft/lb torque wrench for under $100. I've been using mine for a couple years now with no issues.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, the Craftsman that JeepFan mentioned is what I have in my garage and what I use for installs/maintenance. However, I do carry a cheap Harbor Freight one in my Jeep and just for trail use.

Some people trust 10 dollar wrenches on a $40,000+ vehicle.
I'm not that dude.

I also own a bunch of craftsman tools and other junk. I happen to have a few snap on tools so I reach for them first.

If I was in the market Id probably buy Carlyle tools from Napa or even Craftsman.

What are you working on? Or just to own for maintenance stuff?

4x4 Life

I got a nice set of Husky torque wrenches from Home Depot. I think they were $80 each, and came with a lifetime warranty.

pastorwug

BTW - Craftsman does not warranty their torque wrenches - you buy it, it's yours and cannot be returned unless you can prove product defect.

Snap-on warranties everything as I understand - so that could be an incentive.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Some people trust 10 dollar wrenches on a $40,000+ vehicle.
I'm not that dude.

I also own a bunch of craftsman tools and other junk. I happen to have a few snap on tools so I reach for them first.

If I was in the market Id probably buy Carlyle tools from Napa or even Craftsman.

What are you working on? Or just to own for maintenance stuff?

Want it just for keeping the new JK tight.

ArmyofMike

I broke my last Torque Wrench (take that He-Man Strength!) and didn't want to have to buy another full torque wrench. I ended up getting a HF (I Know, I know) digital torque wrench that fits on any socket/breaker bar. If is VERY easy to use, beeps as you get close to torque specifics, is small and is "supposedly" often used to verify mechanical torque wrench measurements. Just a thought. I've used it quite a bit for tire rotations and such. Been very useful.

Pittsburgh Pro 1/2 In Drive Digital Torque Adapter

ArmyofMike

How often do they need to be calibrated, is that a pia to get done and is it expensive?

I think if you are using them quite often and doing precision work, you would need to calibrate or know offset more. Such as calibrating with a digital adapter, it costs less than $30 and would show you where exactly your torque wrench is "clicking" to verify against setting and digital adapter torque. I guess cheap piece of mind.

shortyokc

At work I use all digital snap on torque wrenches that self calibrate. When I work on the Jeep I just bring them home. I have a husky torque wrench at home for backup that I have had for years with no issues

I am partial to MAC Tools, but this is largely because they used to have a plant in my local town (Closed in 2010 :( )

I still have a local MAC guy that will come by my house when I call him. He can calibrate them on the truck and it is at no charge, (of course I am usually buying something so maybe that's why). I used to have him check it every year, but after several no adjustment years I quit. The trick to keeping any click style torque wrench in calibration is to never store it set to anything other than 0. It may be a PITA, but take the time to back it off when you are done.

Top Bottom