Dana 30 is getting beefed

jkugeza

I just got the 44 magnum sleeve, gusset top and bottom, along with a artec full truss and skids. Also bumping my stock gears and axel shafts to 4.11. Does anyone one have advice on the install? I have read all over the Internet, just looking for some 1 on 1 tips.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I just got the 44 magnum sleeve, gusset top and bottom, along with a artec full truss and skids. Also bumping my stock gears and axel shafts to 4.11. Does anyone one have advice on the install? I have read all over the Internet, just looking for some 1 on 1 tips.

What size tires do you plan on going with?

My personal advice would be to not do it....

I just had to swap out a "beefed" D30 housing that either bent anyway or was bent when the very items intended to prevent it were installed. Nothing will fix the fact that the axle shafts and R&P are small.

Last edited:

Grubbicon

I just had to swap out a "beefed" D30 housing that either bend anyway or was bent when the very items intended to prevent it were installed. Nothing will fix the fact that the axle shafts and R&P are small.
Perfect advise right there :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I just had to swap out a "beefed" D30 housing that either bent anyway or was bent when the very items intended to prevent it were installed. Nothing will fix the fact that the axle shafts and R&P are small.

I'm with him ^^^

If you haven't already installed anything, my best advice is that you should even bother especially with the sleeves and truss. If you're really playing hard enough to need them - you're playing hard enough to still bend your housing and I seriously doubt that'd be the case where you live/wheel. And, it's not even as if you couldn't drive around with a bent housing. In the end, you're axle shafts and ring & pinion will be what will break and they are what will leave you high and dry.

bsimon187

I was running a beefed D30- and like he said- will not help the fact that the R&P is small.

Save your money and get something stronger, it will be cheaper in the long run..

IMG_0198.jpg

jkugeza

I have read allot on this, again I'm asking for personal experiences, as posted in my first question

jkugeza

I'm also changing the Alex shafts, and front and rear gears. I got a killer deal on all brand new parts.

Hot94Z28

It's common knowledge that the D30 is weak sauce. You can go to any forum and find examples I plan on putting C-Gussets on and saving for a better axle I would suggest the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 35s on now

If that's all you're going to be running, you definitely DON'T need to sleeve or truss your axle especially being that you don't have any deserts that you can bomb through.

I have read allot on this, again I'm asking for personal experiences, as posted in my first question

:cheesy: You're right, I'm just making this stuff up as I go. Just trying to save you some time and money pal but it's your Jeep, do with it whatever you want :thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'm also changing the Alex shafts, and front and rear gears. I got a killer deal on all brand new parts.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up, not sure what your asking. Did you want reassurance that you didn't waste your money?

FWIW: We twisted the splines and flat spotted the CV balls on RCV shafts and broke 4 teeth on the ring wheeling 35" ATs and I wouldn't call what we were doing as overly tough. We were not hard on the gas or beating on it. It was a controlled climb while being assisted by a winch....

If you plan to wheel more than simple trails, you will likely break parts. If all you plan to do is simple trails (which is okay) you likely don't need the beefing, and run more risk of harm than aid.

As mentioned it sounds like your mind is made up.

Question about this.

Bigger tire makes more stress on the axle, that I know. But does not a lower gear ratio also put more stress to the axle? For example, a 4;88 or what it is versus a 3,73. Does it not hold up better with the 3,73? I mean, with the lower ratio the engine can put much more power to the tires.

If I´m correct I guess that a stock tire with 32 inch or just little bit bigger like 33" with stock 3,73 should be much more gentle to a dana 30 compared to 35" tire and a lower ratio?

What is worse, a low ratio or bigger tire?

bsimon187

So in the d30 of you go to a 456, 488 etc. the teeth get considerably smaller. Which makes them more of a weak point of rig. You can put tank armor on the outside and then it becomes a matter of when not if, you break the r&p on the 30. Mine broke doing nothing fancy which makes it suck more. But gave me the excuse to get my pr44 that had been sitting in my shopping cart since day 1.

I was on 35's, locked , 456 gears, gussets, trussed, diff cover, and all a waste of money. Just trying to help you avoid the same mistakes I did.

So in the d30 of you go to a 456, 488 etc. the teeth get considerably smaller. Which makes them more of a weak point of rig. You can put tank armor on the outside and then it becomes a matter of when not if, you break the r&p on the 30. Mine broke doing nothing fancy which makes it suck more. But gave me the excuse to get my pr44 that had been sitting in my shopping cart since day 1.

I was on 35's, locked , 456 gears, gussets, trussed, diff cover, and all a waste of money. Just trying to help you avoid the same mistakes I did.

So basically, with a dana30 keep the stock ratio, not to big tire and you are maybee fine unless you drive like you have robbed the bank?

bsimon187

Not really the speed you are going. More like the terrain. If you are going to be climbing rocks, playing in the mud, etc. you could break it stock. The big question is how are you really going to wheel. If your jeep lives at the shopping mall you will be fine. If you start going off road, that is where you start making the appropriate changes. Or make all the changes you want now, but save up for either a new axle or keep a back up of the r&p you buy for the 30. B

Top Bottom