Transfer Case swap questions

mackey

I have a 2013 JKU Sport automatic. I am looking into swapping our the Sport's transfer case for a Rubicon's transfer case. I found a used 2013 automatic Rubicon transfer case, with 10,000 miles, part number 52123503AA. I am told that is the correct part number for the Rubicon NP 241 4:1 rock trac transfer case. It will cost me $1,500 which is alot cheaper than an Atlas 2 speed. So here are my questions:

1. How easy of a swap is it? Something I can do in a garage, or worth paying the pros to do it.
2. If I order this transfer case from the salvage yard, are their other parts / wires I will need for the install?
3. I am told I will have computer issues and go into limp mode once the install is done. I own the Superchips Flashcal. Will this fix the computer issues?
4. Anything else I am not thinking of with regards to a transfer case swap?

Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1. How easy of a swap is it? Something I can do in a garage, or worth paying the pros to do it.

Definitely something you can do yourself in your garage.

2. If I order this transfer case from the salvage yard, are their other parts / wires I will need for the install?

Nope, should just need the T-case and so long as it is from a 2012-up automatic, you should be good to go.

3. I am told I will have computer issues and go into limp mode once the install is done. I own the Superchips Flashcal. Will this fix the computer issues?

You will only have issues IF you tried using a 2007-11 transfer case or one out of a manual as there is no way to plug it into your computer. Of course, there would be no way for you to bolt it up either as it's completely different too.

I don't think so.

I have a 2013 JKU Sport automatic. I am looking into swapping our the Sport's transfer case for a Rubicon's transfer case. I found a used 2013 automatic Rubicon transfer case, with 10,000 miles, part number 52123503AA. I am told that is the correct part number for the Rubicon NP 241 4:1 rock trac transfer case. It will cost me $1,500 which is alot cheaper than an Atlas 2 speed. So here are my questions:

Thanks in advance.

1. Fairly easy to do in your garage. I would recommend getting a set of offset wrenches for the top bolts and a transmission jack to help you get it into position. The transfer case weights about 120 lbs. Also you will need to get new fluid. You will need to disconnect your front and rear drive shafts but not pull. Once you have the bolts removed using a dead blow hammer gently pursued the drive shaft out of the collar. I would be sure to wash the underside of your Jeep if you have just recently been any sort of mud. It sucks to have the transfer case in hand pulling it out and have sand fall in your eye.
2. If you need parts you have your old transfer case to cannibalize parts from.
3. Do not know.
4. If you think the process is only going to take two hours plan on all day. When I attempted my transfer case swap it took me the better part of 4 hours to get in and out and then had to put the old one back in. Did not verify part number.

R/
Will

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I did this swap in my driveway with hand tools and floor jack. I agree with everything that's posted above. Honestly, the most difficult part is getting to those damn bolts on the top of the transfer case. The space is so tight, it's hard to get a wrench in there. I purchased a stubby socket wrench that eventually worked. It was an all day affair but I also took my time. Good luck! You'll love the 4:1 crawl power

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Oh also that price seems a bit high. I picked mine up for about $750 and seen prices from this to around $1200

Oh also that price seems a bit high. I picked mine up for about $750 and seen prices from this to around $1200

Even $1200 is high. Going rate is right about a grand even.
Also, 9/16 Half Moon wrench or an old school 9/16 distributor wrench work well for those two upper nuts.

mackey

Even $1200 is high. Going rate is right about a grand even.
Also, 9/16 Half Moon wrench or an old school 9/16 distributor wrench work well for those two upper nuts.

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice.

Unfortunately I have not found one for cheaper. I am also on a waiting list from Motech. Hopefully they will get one soon.

Heholua

Thanks in advance.

#3. AEV Procal is the only programmer that I know of that has the 4:1 ratio programming. You will only go into limp mode when put it into 4 lo without the programming.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice.

Unfortunately I have not found one for cheaper. I am also on a waiting list from Motech. Hopefully they will get one soon.

Motech? You know, if you're going to be doing an LS swap, you use a Sport or Sahara t-case with it - NOT a Rubicon. That being said, I must have missed the motor swap part in your build list as an Atlas 2-speed is definitely something worth getting eventually as it will be a lot stronger if nothing else.

Heholua

Flashcal can change the ratio as well I believe.

Jeep Flashcal 3570

Introducing the Superchips Flashcal for 2007-2015 JK Wrangler PN. 3570 We’ve done our homework and have loaded the Flashcal with the most sought after options for your JK. Take full advantage of the most popular aftermarket upgrades your late model JK craves. If you’ve added tires or gears to your Jeep, Flashcal is a must!*

KEY PRODUCT FEATURES:
• Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades between 26” - 42”
• Speedometer recalibration for gear /axle swaps up to 5.38
• Locking axle options with transfer case in 4-Hi & 4-Low (2007-10 Rubicon only)
• ESP stability optimization (2011-15 automatic transmission models only)
• Engine idle adjustability for winching
• Daytime running light options (2007-15 models only)
• One touch lane change
• TPMS Options (Download required)
• Radio delay options (2011-15 models only)
• Headlamp delay options (2011-15 models only)
• Horn chirp and exterior lighting flash options when locking doors with keyless entry
• Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes
• Internet updatable
* Results and feature set may vary based on vehicle make, model, and aftermarket upgrades. Read all instructions before installation and/or operation of this product use.

From the Superchips website.

ClarksAdventures

Jeep Flashcal 3570

Introducing the Superchips Flashcal for 2007-2015 JK Wrangler PN. 3570 We’ve done our homework and have loaded the Flashcal with the most sought after options for your JK. Take full advantage of the most popular aftermarket upgrades your late model JK craves. If you’ve added tires or gears to your Jeep, Flashcal is a must!*

KEY PRODUCT FEATURES:
• Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades between 26” - 42”
• Speedometer recalibration for gear /axle swaps up to 5.38
• Locking axle options with transfer case in 4-Hi & 4-Low (2007-10 Rubicon only)
• ESP stability optimization (2011-15 automatic transmission models only)
• Engine idle adjustability for winching
• Daytime running light options (2007-15 models only)
• One touch lane change
• TPMS Options (Download required)
• Radio delay options (2011-15 models only)
• Headlamp delay options (2011-15 models only)
• Horn chirp and exterior lighting flash options when locking doors with keyless entry
• Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes
• Internet updatable
* Results and feature set may vary based on vehicle make, model, and aftermarket upgrades. Read all instructions before installation and/or operation of this product use.

From the Superchips website.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426440912.229644.jpg

From my flashcal plugged into my jeep.

Heholua

[http://superchips]

PRODUCTSJEEPAUTOTRUCK/SUVHARLEYNEWSCONTACTDEALERSUPDATESREGISTER PRODUCTSJEEP PROMOGEAR

JEEPWRANGLER JK20133.6LEDITSTART OVER

[http://lcdn][http://lcdn][http://lcdn][http://lcdn]

[http://lcdn][http://lcdn][http://lcdn][http://lcdn]

Jeep Flashpaq 3872

At Superchips, we don’t just get it, we live it. The Jeep Flashpaq (part no. 3872) is designed for your 4x4 and packed with off-road specific features exclusive to Superchips. Flashpaq for Jeep is the number one tuning solution for Jeeps. Our tunes include multiple street and trail proven performance levels developed on the streets of Florida all the way out to legendary trails of Moab, Utah (Make sure you give our CRAWL tune a try!). You’ll find lots of pretenders out there making big claims and false promises. We pioneered Jeep tuning in 2009 and you can rest assured we’re keeping the pretenders in our rear view and providing you with Jeep tuning built to contend for the long haul!*

***Now covering up to 2014 JK Wrangler!***

* Note: Flashpaq for Jeep has not been validated or tested on right hand drive Jeeps

Original Price:352.49Sale Price:$317.24

ADD TO CART

REGISTER THIS PRODUCT
WISHLIST

FEATURESPower Gains - + 30.0 HP & +30.0 lb-ftTPMS Options Available (Download Required)Performance TestsSpeedometer CorrectionTire Size - 26" - 42"Axle Gear RatioT-Case Gear Ratio4WD-HI Axle LockSpeed LimiterAdjust FanIdle UPData AcquisitionDTC Read & ClearInternet UpdateablePerformance Tune(s)Tow TuneCrawl TuneEconomy TuneExecutive Order Number - D-330-15

ACCESSORIES

Last edited:

mackey

Motech? You know, if you're going to be doing an LS swap, you use a Sport or Sahara t-case with it - NOT a Rubicon. That being said, I must have missed the motor swap part in your build list as an Atlas 2-speed is definitely something worth getting eventually as it will be a lot stronger if nothing else.

I wish I could afford an LS. Lol. I called Motech because they said they often get used Transfer cases from a Rubicon and they could sell it to me. So I am on a waiting list from Motech for a transfer case, not LS.

So sticking with my 3.6, you would recommend an Atlas 2 speed over a Rubicon's rock trac 4:1 transfer case?

aermotor

Will the normal Superchips with updated firmware do the same as their new=er Flashcal? Pretty sure I've seen T-Case Ratio in there.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Maybe it matters on newer year jeeps, but when I did the t-case swap on my 07 I didn't have to reprogram it. I eventually did program it with my superchips flashpaq but I didn't notice any difference

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I could afford an LS. Lol. I called Motech because they said they often get used Transfer cases from a Rubicon and they could sell it to me. So I am on a waiting list from Motech for a transfer case, not LS.

So sticking with my 3.6, you would recommend an Atlas 2 speed over a Rubicon's rock trac 4:1 transfer case?

Ah, I see. No, I would save the money for now and just get the Rubi case. Upgrade later as funds become available and ONLY if you really feel the need for it.

Top Bottom