Body roll/rocking question

Petzl88

Please help me. I installed a lift on my new JKU a few weeks ago and the body roll/rocking back and forth on the highway is driving me nuts. I would love for the experts to chime in so that I can start making changes to get my Jeep back to where I can drive fast on the highway.

Here is what I have installed:

Duratracs 285 70 17 at 30 psi

Front:
2" EVO plush ride coils

0.5" Teraflex coil spacer on top of stock coil isolator

Stock Rubicon shocks with shock extensions

JKS control arm drop brackets (castor at 4.2 deg)

JKS adjustable track bar

Stock rear sway bar links

And in the back:
- stock Rubicon springs
- 2" Teraflex coil spacers
- stock rubicon shocks with extensions
- JKS adjustable track bar

And of course bump stops and brake line brackets. The steering wheel is centered and the axles are centered. The castor is verified at 4.2 deg.

The EVO springs are super soft and I love the way they ride but my jeep is lacking in the handling department.

I measured the front and it has 3.125" lift so the EVO front springs gave me 2.5" which I'm ok with.

What will help to reduce body roll? Should I....

1. Remove 0.5" Teraflex coil spacer in the front

2. Get raised track bar brackets

3. Get new shocks

4. Sell Jeep and buy a Ford Fusion

I have no idea. Maybe it is supposed to roll like this. My last JKU had a leveling kit with the same tires and I drove it like a rent a car.

Please help me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Petzl88

So I need to get a rear track bar bracket? It should work with the JKS adjustable track bar right?

Rebel JK

Not one of the experts here, but after the obvious responses you'll see regarding re torque etc, take a look at your front sway bar links and make sure the bushings are in good shape.
I chased some pretty good body roll issues and narrowed it to some shot link bushings on my passenger side.
Kinda felt how this southbound guy in san diego must have felt. :)

10395820_783505548352972_5454942119020601050_n.jpeg

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned check the sway bar link bushings, also check that they are long enough and installed on the correct side of the axle mounts. if the links are too short the sway bar will hang too low. have you checked to make sure the sway bar is actually locked in place?

Last edited:

CJW

Having the vehicle sit a bit higher will naturally induce more body roll since u now have a higher center of gravity. This can be corrected a few ways but the place to start is with a raised track bar bracket used on the axle. This will raise your roll center and help mitigate the handling issues you're mentioning.
The rear is probably all you need but since you're getting 3 inches in the front I personally would do this for both front and rear track bars along with the drag link flip.
Edit: after re-reading your post; if you're planning on adding any more weight to your front end (i.e., winch, bumper, etc) so that it ends up dropping below your 3"s of gained lift I wouldn't recommend doing the front.

Last edited:

Roscoj

The jks rear trackbar will need to be shortened a little with a raised trackbar bracket if you want to keep your axle centered. (Well at least mine did). Just something to be aware of. I agree you should at least raise the rear.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The jks rear trackbar will need to be shortened a little with a raised trackbar bracket if you want to keep your axle centered. (Well at least mine did). Just something to be aware of. I agree you should at least raise the rear.

That's the first I've heard of that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's the first I've heard of that.

Actually, WITH a track bar relocation bracket, most aftermarket adjustable track bars tend to be too long. I've run the JKS rear track bar and had the same issue but really, it was off by just a bit. More than that, what got me to pull it was 1.) I really didn't need it and 2.) I really hated the fact that the adjustment and jam nut were on the frame side. It's a completely stupid design and one that can cause your coil to make contact with the jam nut. At least, that was my experience with it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually, WITH a track bar relocation bracket, most aftermarket adjustable track bars tend to be too long. I've run the JKS rear track bar and had the same issue but really, it was off by just a bit. More than that, what got me to pull it was 1.) I really didn't need it and 2.) I really hated the fact that the adjustment and jam nut were on the frame side. It's a completely stupid design and one that can cause your coil to make contact with the jam nut. At least, that was my experience with it.

Ah I read JKS as jk's. That was the confusion.

Petzl88

as mentioned check the sway bar link bushings, also check that they are long enough and installed on the correct side of the axle mounts. if the links are too short the sway bar will hang too low. have you checked to make sure the sway bar is actually locked in place?

I need to make sure the sway bar is locked! It doesn't feel like it is fully disconnected at speed though.

Top Bottom