Waterproof Winches?

Renagade119

Hey Ive been looking around at winches (not that I have anyone to buy one) and I noticed that no ones listing if theyre waterproof or not. And in my mind thats a pretty important detail. Can anyone help me out here?

Skirmish

Superwinch claims to be the most waterproof but Warn should do just as well. Smittybuilt X2O is advertised as waterproof. Most respected winches are. If you can get through the show one car too far they drench a Superwinch repeatedly.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not sure why it needs to be waterproof? My powerplant has been sitting on the fronts of my JK(s) for well over 100,000 miles, snow storms, extreme heats, salt water, fresh water, deep water crossings .. It works every time

Skirmish

The solenoid needs to be waterproof or the electronics will fry. The for the rest of the winch it is more about contamination and rust.

Renagade119

Alright, thanks guys. Just trying to get everything right, Im new to this and dont want to screw it up on a pretty important investment

Jersey_Devil

Warn Xd9000i is what I got.... Supposed to be able to use while submerged but big haven had to test it out yet submerged but it's a great winch. I highly recommend it!

ForumRunner_20121224_152326.jpg

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
If you're on a budget look at recon's 10,500lb winch, I had one for a while. It wasn't bad, but then again I don't wheel as hard as a lot of other guys.

OneCrazyFuq

I just picked up the Smitty built x20 winch it seems to be made well but I have not yet installed it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after install

kb3ejw

smitty built only warranties the parts.you will have to do the repair work yourself or find a shop to the work.i know this for a fact.i went with the xrc10.it died from being used in the swaps of the pinelands in jersey.called about getting it fixed.i now run the warn 9.5xp.and warns repair shop is close enough for me to drop it off if i need repair.

Renagade119

Blaaaah, too much to think about :banghead: and Jersey_Devil, thats one grade A badass jeep you got there brother. Im damn jealous. Sounds like Im going to be looking into Warn, just as a side note though, whatta you guys know about Bulldog winches. My dad knows a guy

nyglt56

So long as you're not using your winch fully submerged, it doesn't need to be waterproof. Most solenoids are low voltage and won't fry electrics until use under full submersion.

Top Bottom