Genright tire carrier

Ok so i was really locking in on getting this carrier, but then i saw on the interwebs that it will work with any wheel EXCEPT stock. is that true? Why not? Im runnin factory rubi wheels and dont plan on switching.

Edit: i think i see why. The wheel face looks like it will hit the bracket before the tire touches the cage...?

Last edited:

CJW

I'm not positive but I think it's because the center hole of the wheel (in between the lug nut holes) isn't large enough for the mounting bracket to slide through.

Metal Monkey

Genright will modify the carrier for you if you want to run a stock spare for an extra charge. I just turned my stock spare around and haven't had any issues.

Be sure before you buy that you look at all your options in regards to body armor. Some armor only works with certain tire carriers and some will require extensive modification.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Be sure before you buy that you look at all your options in regards to body armor. Some armor only works with certain tire carriers and some will require extensive modification.

I ran the carrier and stock wheels the std way, and yes the face does sit against, but you can run it flipped and it works I think, I just never tried that so I put small pieces of rubber to protect the wheel face.

What canvas said is true, genright never really designed the carrier to use skins other than the ones that stop on the sides. With some work it can be installed with evo skins, probably even easier with the posion spyder ones tho since they are thin and fit differently. For the evo skins....either go with alum and weld on the latch plate, or if you go steel you just have to drill holes for it to work. Another option that looks very good is to have tabs welded onto the skins and delete the latch plate all together which, imo looks cleaner. I was going to do that, but ended up switching over to the evo carrier.

I ran the carrier and stock wheels the std way, and yes the face does sit against, but you can run it flipped and it works I think, I just never tried that so I put small pieces of rubber to protect the wheel face.

What canvas said is true, genright never really designed the carrier to use skins other than the ones that stop on the sides. With some work it can be installed with evo skins, probably even easier with the posion spyder ones tho since they are thin and fit differently. For the evo skins....either go with alum and weld on the latch plate, or if you go steel you just have to drill holes for it to work. Another option that looks very good is to have tabs welded onto the skins and delete the latch plate all together which, imo looks cleaner. I was going to do that, but ended up switching over to the evo carrier.

So you just put some rubber between the wheel and the bracket? Did the tire contact the cage or no? Just wondered if it would let that tire wobble around if it wasnt pushed against the tubing. I really like the carrier but it is expensive to buy if it wont work...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
So you just put some rubber between the wheel and the bracket? Did the tire contact the cage or no? Just wondered if it would let that tire wobble around if it wasnt pushed against the tubing. I really like the carrier but it is expensive to buy if it wont work...

From what I remember the tire does touch so there is no movement, but the center of the wheel itself touches the bolts of the bracket where the wheel attaches, not by much but enough it will scratch unless you protect it. I never had any issues with that setup for the short time I had the stock wheels. I think someone on here runs the carrier and stock wheel just flipped around.

From what I remember the tire does touch so there is no movement, but the center of the wheel itself touches the bolts of the bracket where the wheel attaches, not by much but enough it will scratch unless you protect it. I never had any issues with that setup for the short time I had the stock wheels. I think someone on here runs the carrier and stock wheel just flipped around.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Sounds like either way i can make it work ok.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Sounds like either way i can make it work ok.

I thought it looked goofy with the wheel facing the jeep to thats why I sacrificed the minimal scratching to run it facing out. Deff a solid carrier tho if you want to not run corner skins or want to hold off for a while.

I thought it looked goofy with the wheel facing the jeep to thats why I sacrificed the minimal scratching to run it facing out. Deff a solid carrier tho if you want to not run corner skins or want to hold off for a while.

Just got off the phone with Genright, and he said they WILL NOT modify the design to work with a stock wheel. They must have used to because i stumbled on a comment on another forum written by Genright saying that they would. Bummer.

Top Bottom