Winching 101

ctlazer5

I know there is somewhere on here about what you need to have when you go off-roading and such but I am having trouble finding it. :doh: However I might be purchasing my first winch in the near future and I was just wondering what you guys had to offer as some seasoned users of winches. What should I get in addition to the winch? I have thought about straps and a snatch block but in all honesty I am not sure I know exactly how to PROPERLY winch out of a sticky situation or for that matter how to safely use a snatch block etc. Any insight you guys can offer me to help with this situation would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll want a tree saver and a couple of extra D-rings as they will help you to rig up your snatch block. You pretty much only really need to use the snatch block IF you are really stuck (or need to pull someone else out who's really stuck) as it'll help to double up your pulling capacity or need to do a recovery working off a angle. If you'll be running a wire rope, I would highly recommend that you carry a pair of leather gloves and a blanket for your line.

On the WAYALIFE YouTube channel there is a 3 part series on the Rubicon and I believe part two shows the recovery of a 4 door that flopped on the side. You can see how to use the snatch block and dual winches. Also on the 2014 JKX part 2 or 3 there is a recovery of a 4 door JK that flopped on the passenger side. In the 2011 JKX in Carnage Canyon you can see Moby being winched up. There are several other video's that show how to use your winch.

R/
Will

ctlazer5

Thanks guys. Yeah I have seen some of those videos and found them helpful. I know I will need some tree saver straps and d-rings. Thank you this place is full of great info! Also what is that "adapter" that some people i've seen put at the end of their winch line instead of a hook? I presume it's just easier to hookup to a d-ring because you can put it through the hole. Anyone know what I'm talking about or do I just sound crazy? :crazyeyes:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. Yeah I have seen some of those videos and found them helpful. I know I will need some tree saver straps and d-rings. Thank you this place is full of great info! Also what is that "adapter" that some people i've seen put at the end of their winch line instead of a hook? I presume it's just easier to hookup to a d-ring because you can put it through the hole. Anyone know what I'm talking about or do I just sound crazy? :crazyeyes:

What you are referring to is probably the Factor55 links. Rather than a hook, it provides a location for a D-Ring to connect which allows a safe a secure way to connect your strap ends. I have one and have been happy with it, however, it is pricey for what it is.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Do your self a favor and skip the factor 55.

I'd be curious why you say this too. The concept is very simple, seems considerably safer than a hook, and they provide a nice way to show the winch. About the only downside I can see is cost.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have an ARB tree strap, the loop ends do not fit the hook. I use a d ring and straight to my prolink. That's the only reason I like thimbles or prolinks

Attachments

• 1426709551577.jpg
    1426709551577.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 1426709560720.jpg
    1426709560720.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 372

ctlazer5

Yeah that is what I am thinking. I like those straps as well. Which straps specifically would you guys recommend getting? Snatch strap or just the tree protector strap?

Last edited:

ttfhell

Curious as to why... I don't have one and don't want to pay top dollar, but aesthetically I like them. Why would you steer away from them?

I'd be curious why you say this too. The concept is very simple, seems considerably safer than a hook, and they provide a nice way to show the winch. About the only downside I can see is cost.

Mainly for speed and ease of use as well as a little bit of safety thrown in (time to set up). For instance if you want to go winch to somebody's D ring you need this as well as TWO shackles to make it work. One shackle to go through the factor 55 and another to go through the d-ring mount on their bumper. Where as with a decent sized hook you can do it without anything else or at worse one shackle. Additionally with a larger hook you can fit both ends of a tree saver through if needed overlapped on itself.

If you are in a hurry it's nice to be able to just walk up and hook to something. Not sure why it would be safer than a locking hook either.
You can also watch on the last Jkx video how well this set up worked on the winch race. Couldn't get the shackle though the hole on the factor 55. They do look cool though👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mainly for speed and ease of use as well as a little bit of safety thrown in (time to set up). For instance if you want to go winch to somebody's D ring you need this as well as TWO shackles to make it work. One shackle to go through the factor 55 and another to go through the d-ring mount on their bumper. Where as with a decent sized hook you can do it without anything else or at worse one shackle. Additionally with a larger hook you can fit both ends of a tree saver through if needed overlapped on itself.

If you are in a hurry it's nice to be able to just walk up and hook to something. Not sure why it would be safer than a locking hook either.
You can also watch on the last Jkx video how well this set up worked on the winch race. Couldn't get the shackle though the hole on the factor 55. They do look cool though👍

This ^^^^^^^

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You can also watch on the last Jkx video how well this set up worked on the winch race. Couldn't get the shackle though the hole on the factor 55. They do look cool though

Not the fault of the factor 55 but fault with the owner/operator. That should have been found out long before actually needing to use it. There are three different sizes of prolinks: believe one for ATVs/UTVs, then the regular prolink, and finally the prolink XXL which fits the 3/4 shackle pin but also the 7/8 shackle pin. :thumb:

Good lesson to know your recovery equipment and how to use it before it is needed for a recovery. We all have made mistakes. I dont even own a winch yet! Its on my list of soon to purchase though!

GCM 2

Not the fault of the factor 55 but fault with the owner/operator. That should have been found out long before actually needing to use it. There are three different sizes of prolinks: believe one for ATVs/UTVs, then the regular prolink, and finally the prolink XXL which fits the 3/4 shackle pin but also the 7/8 shackle pin. :thumb:

Good lesson to know your recovery equipment and how to use it before it is needed for a recovery. We all have made mistakes. I dont even own a winch yet! Its on my list of soon to purchase though!

You still will need a second clevis/D-ring to attach to recovery points. See ttfhell's post above again.

I have been a part of several recoveries where a Factor 55 link was involved. It is a superfluous piece of kit and not needed, and not to be confused with a "safety thimble"

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You still will need a second clevis/D-ring to attach to recovery points. See ttfhell's post above again.

I have been a part of several recoveries where a Factor 55 link was involved. It is a superfluous piece of kit and not needed, and not to be confused with a "safety thimble"

Yes, I forgot to add that part as well.

However, check this out. Just seen it on Northridges website.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/recove...-55/factor-55-flatlink-e-expert-gray-00080-06

No need for two shackles! I believe based on the pictures anyways, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If you don't mind the flat link. I dont/didnt really like the flat link. This is already growing on me. Though its just in gray currently.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Let me also add, I have no experience with any of the factor 55 stuff. So I am by no means an expert and hope I wasn't coming off that way.

Top Bottom