Smittybilt XRC Front and Rear Bumper OPINIONS

I'm really thinking about going with the Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumper w/ tire carrier. What're your guy's opinions on them? If you have any pics I would love to see them on your JK's!! :thumb:

williamw1192

Had mine for three years. Great powder coating. Looks good. Only dislike is the tire carrier. I have had to constantly adjust to keep from opening on its own or I have to use a tie to hold the handle in the lock position.

Had mine for three years. Great powder coating. Looks good. Only dislike is the tire carrier. I have had to constantly adjust to keep from opening on its own or I have to use a tie to hold the handle in the lock position.

I've heard that the latches on the tire carriers weren't all that great, do you have any recommendations on other carriers that aren't too expensive but will still hold up and look decent along with the smittybilt front?

westchester13jk

A lot of people have problems with them fitting perfectly on here it seems. I didn't have much of a problem but I did have to take a tap and die set to fix two holes that were slightly off. It was the first thing I did on my jeep and managed it by myself without too much trouble.. A second set of hands would have been advisable for lifting it up.. Once the winch is on it it's a bit heavy but I was too stubborn to wait for help

Attachments

• 1426905555047.jpg
    1426905555047.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 109
Made in China, it's not my jeep or money, that's for you to decide. What's your budget on front and rear?

I guess it's not really about the budget, I am a patient guy and I can wait and save up for the right one, I just wanted to see what people thought about it. I mean I want something that will hold up, look nice, and perform.

bOLsAK3

I've heard that the latches on the tire carriers weren't all that great, do you have any recommendations on other carriers that aren't too expensive but will still hold up and look decent along with the smittybilt front?

I told a friend I knew that I was interested in seeing the rear bumper and he introduced me to someone he knew who showed me the bumper up close and in person. You have to hand it to Smity for building some useful designs bit the quality seemed questionable. The first issue that he expressed that he was having with his rear bumper involved the latch and all the issues he has had with it. At the time he showed the bumper to me you had to slam the gate in order for it to catch and it took a strong hand in order to open it. I read somewhere that some are made overseas and some are made here but I seriously doubt that any are made here in the states. If price is an issue there are many good American made manufacturers out there that sell a great product that has similar features that you can build one piece at a time which may or may not make it easier for you to afford it.

I told a friend I knew that I was interested in seeing the rear bumper and he introduced me to someone he knew who showed me the bumper up close and in person. You have to hand it to Smity for building some useful designs bit the quality seemed questionable. The first issue that he expressed that he was having with his rear bumper involved the latch and all the issues he has had with it. At the time he showed the bumper to me you had to slam the gate in order for it to catch and it took a strong hand in order to open it. I read somewhere that some are made overseas and some are made here but I seriously doubt that any are made here in the states. If price is an issue there are many good American made manufacturers out there that sell a great product that has similar features that you can build one piece at a time which may or may not make it easier for you to afford it.

Great info! I'll take this into account when finally making the decision! I'm leaning towards not going with the rear because of how many people say how it's not the best.. I want to build my jeep right! Hahahaha :thumb:

TerpForHire

I guess it's not really about the budget, I am a patient guy and I can wait and save up for the right one, I just wanted to see what people thought about it. I mean I want something that will hold up, look nice, and perform.

I have been weighing out bumper options too and I would say plan it out and wait until you're sure. I think if you get the Smittybilt, you will end up wanting to upgrade pretty quick and it will cost more in the long run. At the same time, if you're not going to wheel and are just going for looks, it'll get the job done.

I'm looking at EVO 1/4 now and I can add the stinger later. The tire carrier is more expensive but I'll get that when I need it.

K.D.C.H

Like it was mentioned before, if all you're going to do is show it off in a parking lot with no plans to hit an actual trail then Smittybuilt is your brand but if your looking for something that will actually perform, I'd look into other options.

Not that I wanted to, but I had to go to 4 wheel parts as I needed D-Rings in a hurry and didn't have time to order them. While I was there they had all the Smittybuilt products everywhere so I actually had a chance to put hands on them and really see what they were like.

I looked more at the bumpers and even though I had previously heard how cheap these things were, once I actually saw them I can't understand why anyone would ever buy them. The metal was so thin I could easily have been aluminum foil for all I know. My almost 3 year old son was hanging onto the stinger one one and I rushed to pull him of because I was actually afraid he'd bend it.

Best advice is to save up for quality parts because going cheap can turn into a really expensive nightmare on the trail.

blacksand

Great price and or package deal. on Smittybilts.....
I have or had the front and rear xrc bumpers.
Fitment is not the best, some extra modification had to be done in order to make them fit correctly.
I echo the statement about the rear tire carrier having a separate latch and not being connected to the rear door.
I just replaced my rear Smittybilt bumper and tire carrier with a Ace Engineering bumper and tire carrier and couldn't believe how well engineered their product was, the fitment was fantastic and went on almost flawlessly.

If I had to do it it all over again, do more research and pay for the features you want and don't settle because it's cheaper or a good deal. Investigate, ask questions and save up, its worth it!

Great price and or package deal. on Smittybilts.....
I have or had the front and rear xrc bumpers.
Fitment is not the best, some extra modification had to be done in order to make them fit correctly.
I echo the statement about the rear tire carrier having a separate latch and not being connected to the rear door.
I just replaced my rear Smittybilt bumper and tire carrier with a Ace Engineering bumper and tire carrier and couldn't believe how well engineered their product was, the fitment was fantastic and went on almost flawlessly.

If I had to do it it all over again, do more research and pay for the features you want and don't settle because it's cheaper or a good deal. Investigate, ask questions and save up, its worth it!

Could I see some pics of the Ace Engineering bumper?? This is the first time I have heard of it and I looked it up and saw a couple pics, but I would love to see some of yours!

MIZZOURA

I purchased the smitybilt XRC rear bumper without the carrier option. It was a great deal and i am happy with it. The steel is 3/16th and has a standard 2" reciever built into it. Nice powder coat finish and has taken mild to medium abuse really well. Of coarse if I had to do it over again I would have choosen the more durable route and went with EvO or poison spider. I had no fitment issues at all by the way.:rock:

Top Bottom