Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What welders do y'all use on your jeep?

What welders do y'all use on your jeep?

I want to be able to weld c gussets on my JKR, do some body welding, and weld on rock sliders and maybe trusses down the road. I am looking for suggestions on which welder to purchase. I'm leaning towards a mig welder under $700.

Quote Originally Posted by Rerogers View Post
    I want to be able to weld c gussets on my JKR, do some body welding, and weld on rock sliders and maybe trusses down the road. I am looking for suggestions on which welder to purchase. I'm leaning towards a mig welder under $700.
    I just welded my gussets and used a Lincoln mig 140. Picked it up for about $550 if I remember right. Can weld up to 1/4 just fine. It comes with a adaptor so you can run some argon as well.

I got a miller 212 but it cost a little more than $700... Hobart makes some good cheap (ish) mig welders. I also suggest looking at cyberweld.com because they seem to have the best prices on Millers and Hobarts. I personally have no experience with Lincoln welders but I have seen some good reviews...

I'm using a Hobart 190 with the spool gun. Sometimes Northern Tool has a great combo deal to get the welder with the spool gun.

I have been using a Clarke and it's working just fine can run coated and non coated wire.

Growing up as a fabricator and having other family members that have been doing it for the last 40 years I can say from experience that Miller welders are THE BEST on the market. As far as arc mig or tig goes that is all relative to how well you can lay a bead down. If you don't have any experience I would say mig should be the easiest. I personally love tig because when you get down to the intricate stuff you can use the torch like a surgeon uses a scalpel.

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Epidimick View Post
    I just welded my gussets and used a Lincoln mig 140. Picked it up for about $550 if I remember right. Can weld up to 1/4 just fine. It comes with a adaptor so you can run some argon as well.
    Do yourself a favor and either run the argon when MiG welding, or stick weld using 7018 wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jk909 View Post
    Growing up as a fabricator and having other family members that have been doing it for the last 40 years I can say from experience that Miller welders are THE BEST on the market. As far as arc mig or tig goes that is all relative to how well you can lay a bead down. If you don't have any experience I would say mig should be the easiest. I personally love tig because when you get down to the intricate stuff you can use the torch like a surgeon uses a scalpel.
    Miller Welding machines are probably the best. But as you know, the average guy isn't going to plunk down that much money for the machine and TiG rigs. As for me, if I was welding on my vehicle, I wouldn't do any less than use 7018 LowHy or use the TiG. Frankly, the little MiG buzz boxes sold at Lowes/Home Depot are something I'd stay away from. Especially if safety is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop315 View Post
    Miller Welding machines are probably the best. But as you know, the average guy isn't going to plunk down that much money for the machine and TiG rigs. As for me, if I was welding on my vehicle, I wouldn't do any less than use 7018 LowHy or use the TiG. Frankly, the little MiG buzz boxes sold at Lowes/Home Depot are something I'd stay away from. Especially if safety is involved.
    I agree 100% but when I buy a tool I make sure it's something that will last. 7018 is always a good bet too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jk909 View Post
    I agree 100% but when I buy a tool I make sure it's something that will last. 7018 is always a good bet too!

Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are what I'd look at first. I'd probably go with a Miller over the others, just because the ones I use haven't given me problems. if you go used, be aware that if the rheostats are in bad shape, get a wiring diagram and replace them. After 40 years, I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

I'd also suggest to those who aren't in the welding and fabrication business to see if there are any local vo-tech classes on welding. Again, if something breaks and causes a dangerous condition from a bad weld, You could be taking a chance with something catastrophic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast