What welders do y'all use on your jeep?

Rerogers

I want to be able to weld c gussets on my JKR, do some body welding, and weld on rock sliders and maybe trusses down the road. I am looking for suggestions on which welder to purchase. I'm leaning towards a mig welder under $700.

JK_Epidimick

I want to be able to weld c gussets on my JKR, do some body welding, and weld on rock sliders and maybe trusses down the road. I am looking for suggestions on which welder to purchase. I'm leaning towards a mig welder under $700.

I just welded my gussets and used a Lincoln mig 140. Picked it up for about $550 if I remember right. Can weld up to 1/4 just fine. It comes with a adaptor so you can run some argon as well.

GR8WHITE

I got a miller 212 but it cost a little more than $700... Hobart makes some good cheap (ish) mig welders. I also suggest looking at cyberweld.com because they seem to have the best prices on Millers and Hobarts. I personally have no experience with Lincoln welders but I have seen some good reviews...

OJK12

I'm using a Hobart 190 with the spool gun. Sometimes Northern Tool has a great combo deal to get the welder with the spool gun.

Jk909

Growing up as a fabricator and having other family members that have been doing it for the last 40 years I can say from experience that Miller welders are THE BEST on the market. As far as arc mig or tig goes that is all relative to how well you can lay a bead down. If you don't have any experience I would say mig should be the easiest. I personally love tig because when you get down to the intricate stuff you can use the torch like a surgeon uses a scalpel.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I just welded my gussets and used a Lincoln mig 140. Picked it up for about $550 if I remember right. Can weld up to 1/4 just fine. It comes with a adaptor so you can run some argon as well.

Do yourself a favor and either run the argon when MiG welding, or stick weld using 7018 wire.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Growing up as a fabricator and having other family members that have been doing it for the last 40 years I can say from experience that Miller welders are THE BEST on the market. As far as arc mig or tig goes that is all relative to how well you can lay a bead down. If you don't have any experience I would say mig should be the easiest. I personally love tig because when you get down to the intricate stuff you can use the torch like a surgeon uses a scalpel.
Miller Welding machines are probably the best. But as you know, the average guy isn't going to plunk down that much money for the machine and TiG rigs. As for me, if I was welding on my vehicle, I wouldn't do any less than use 7018 LowHy or use the TiG. Frankly, the little MiG buzz boxes sold at Lowes/Home Depot are something I'd stay away from. Especially if safety is involved.

Jk909

Miller Welding machines are probably the best. But as you know, the average guy isn't going to plunk down that much money for the machine and TiG rigs. As for me, if I was welding on my vehicle, I wouldn't do any less than use 7018 LowHy or use the TiG. Frankly, the little MiG buzz boxes sold at Lowes/Home Depot are something I'd stay away from. Especially if safety is involved.

I agree 100% but when I buy a tool I make sure it's something that will last. 7018 is always a good bet too!

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I agree 100% but when I buy a tool I make sure it's something that will last. 7018 is always a good bet too!
:thumb:
Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are what I'd look at first. I'd probably go with a Miller over the others, just because the ones I use haven't given me problems. if you go used, be aware that if the rheostats are in bad shape, get a wiring diagram and replace them. After 40 years, I'm not telling you anything you don't know. :D

I'd also suggest to those who aren't in the welding and fabrication business to see if there are any local vo-tech classes on welding. Again, if something breaks and causes a dangerous condition from a bad weld, You could be taking a chance with something catastrophic.

Haven't welded on the Jeep. However I have a Lincoln mig. I think it's the 180 or 180c. And a miller plasma cutter for playing around the house.

MarkW13

Lincoln Power mig 180 dual. Nice welder you can use inner shield, gas, or a spool gun. Also runs on 110 or 220 power. It comes with the pressure regulator and everything you need to do some serious welding. My best purchase by far.

USMCvet

Banned
About five years ago I built a 1972 Scout II with a 454 big block Chevy as my power plant. I didn't have a lot of money for a mig welder and found a yard sale Miller 110v for $100. I fabbed the motor mounts, trans mount, and eventually welded the tabs etc. for the Red Neck ram hydro steering system. I'd never welded before and the miller worked great. In fact I still use it today on my Willys.

MarkW13

Its a good welder, but I do not suggest purchasing from Lowes. The manufacturers strip their models down or use some cheaper parts so the product will hit a certain price point. Go to a welding supply store. They will get you into the right product. It will likely be a little more expensive, but if you look close, the model numbers will be different from lowes even if it appears the same.

SFNick

I have a Hobart 210MVP. It's Great if you don't have a 220 outlet Available but plan on having one in the future. Hobart is made by Miller.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Its a good welder, but I do not suggest purchasing from Lowes. The manufacturers strip their models down or use some cheaper parts so the product will hit a certain price point. Go to a welding supply store. They will get you into the right product. It will likely be a little more expensive, but if you look close, the model numbers will be different from lowes even if it appears the same.

Listen to this advice. It's solid.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Let's see your (Home) welding setup

With all the resent posts about welding I figured this could be a fun topic.

Here's mine. Hobart 190 220v and a Lincoln Viking Chip Foose welding hood. Modified a small rolling toolbox to hold bottles and extension cord for the welder.

I figure leaving this as a home welder only post will keep all the Large Commercial welders out of it. So let's hear what's in your shop/ garage?

IMG_0178.jpg IMG_0179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Hers my little off brand 110 gas/no gas welder it dose 3/16 plate really well I even use it for stainless steel projects (with tri mix gas) for my bigger projects I have a Lincoln 220 stick welder IMG_4790.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom