3.6 temp sensor replacement

toxicwaste29

Here is a short brief write up for replacing the coolant temp sensor on a 3.6:

The new 3.6 doesn't have the coolant tempo sensor near the coolant inlet on the front of the block. I had to do some searching before I finally found it. Below it can be seen circled. The first is it looking down near the steering shaft. There is absolutely no way to remove the senor from up top without maybe removing the steering shaft. Instead I decided to remove the driver inner fender liner to reach the temp sensor. This part there is only one 10mm bolt and the rest are plastic pins. After the liner is removed there is tons of room for reaching the sensor. The plastic connector on top needs removed first and then the sensor can be removed using a 19mm wrench. Now since there is coolant in the block you want the new sensor ready to go in. As soon as the old sensor is out immediately put the new sensor in and tighten it down. Some coolant will be lost but even if the radiator is drained coolant will still be in the block causing it to be lost anyways. Now the electric connector can be hooked back up and the inner fender put back into place. I let the jeep run and burp any possible air bubbles out however this step can be skipped since the engine should burp itself as it runs during normal driving.

IMG_20150302_171330437.jpg

IMG_20150304_163358079.jpg

Old Jeepster

Follow up question

Pictures really helped, but when I took the driver tire and fender liner off it was solid metal behind it, with no opening. Just wanted to verify this was for a 2012 jeep GC. Thanks.

QUOTE=toxicwaste29;477227]Here is a short brief write up for replacing the coolant temp sensor on a 3.6:

The new 3.6 doesn't have the coolant tempo sensor near the coolant inlet on the front of the block. I had to do some searching before I finally found it. Below it can be seen circled. The first is it looking down near the steering shaft. There is absolutely no way to remove the senor from up top without maybe removing the steering shaft. Instead I decided to remove the driver inner fender liner to reach the temp sensor. This part there is only one 10mm bolt and the rest are plastic pins. After the liner is removed there is tons of room for reaching the sensor. The plastic connector on top needs removed first and then the sensor can be removed using a 19mm wrench. Now since there is coolant in the block you want the new sensor ready to go in. As soon as the old sensor is out immediately put the new sensor in and tighten it down. Some coolant will be lost but even if the radiator is drained coolant will still be in the block causing it to be lost anyways. Now the electric connector can be hooked back up and the inner fender put back into place. I let the jeep run and burp any possible air bubbles out however this step can be skipped since the engine should burp itself as it runs during normal driving.

View attachment 132574

View attachment 132575 [/QUOTE]

Broke_JKowner

I have a 2014 jk and while driving to work today my temp gauge in the cab read --- on the digital display and "C" on the analog. It was reading the temp fine then outta nowhere it was gone. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452445280.036191.jpg
Do I need to replace the temp sensor? Any help would be appreciated.

JeepJeep75

I have a 2014 jk and while driving to work today my temp gauge in the cab read --- on the digital display and "C" on the analog. It was reading the temp fine then outta nowhere it was gone. View attachment 181603
Do I need to replace the temp sensor? Any help would be appreciated.

You should definitely get the temp sensor replaced sooner than later. It will effect how the engine runs. It hasn't triggered a code yet?

jamesrw30

I need to do this soon. My replacement part has crush sleeves on it. It doesn't need sealant tape applied first, correct? I've seen opinions on this both ways and want to make sure before I do this.

jamesrw30

So the factory had none so I didn't use any. Here's hoping. For anyone interested, I went from the top. I took the bolt out of the knuckle for the steering shaft, takes a 1/2 inch. Once I decided the plug I realized I didn't have a 19 mm wrench. Had this rotating head socket that I've never used that had the right size. Worked just well enough.

Top Bottom