Limp Mode

Voodoo Actual

Does anyone know how to get a 2014 JK out of limp mode? I've gotten the engine warning light off twice but the Jeep is still driving in limp mode.

Is there a way to do this without going to the dealer so that I can drive normally until I get to the dealer?

Does anyone know how to get a 2014 JK out of limp mode? I've gotten the engine warning light off twice but the Jeep is still driving in limp mode.

Is there a way to do this without going to the dealer so that I can drive normally until I get to the dealer?

I do not know. What did you do to your Jeep that would cause your check engine light to come on?

Voodoo Actual

I do not know. What did you do to your Jeep that would cause your check engine light to come on?

You do anything to the jeep lately? Steering wheel centered?

I have no idea. There haven't been any changes made to the Jeep. I walked out the door with my coffee and started it to head in for my shift and after start up the check engine light never went off.

Have you tried unhooking the battery for about 30 minutes?

Yes. The 1st time I got the light off I disconnected the battery for about 45 mins and the light just came back in after a cycle of the ignition. The 2nd time I got the light off I disconnected the negative cable, turned the ignition to On, tapped the negative cable to the lead, turned the ignition off, then reconnected the cable to the terminal.

That got the light off but the Jeep is stuck in limp mode.

It won't get going over 60 downhill with a tail wind and is always shifting into 3rd.

Voodoo Actual

Low oil level/pressure can be one cause of limp mode.

^^I would consider this^^
did you get an oil change recently?

I did not. The cams were replaced recently and the belt/water pump since the belt/pulley exploded and inhaled he belt through the crank seal - that's what they said.

I found what appears to be dried silicone on my dip stick. Plenty of oil but silicone on the dip stick. My guess is this was the dealers attempt to make a gasket(?).

Update:
Light is back on. So I haven't gotten anywhere.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427139769.564466.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427139814.930917.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like you should take it back to the dealer. (I'm assuming they did the recent work as you mentioned the gasket maker on the dipstick)

I had mine go into torque reduction mode (that's what the dealer called it) and the dealer was the only one that could reset it. However, I'm not sure if limp mode and what he called torque reduction is the same thing.

Voodoo Actual

I feel like you should take it back to the dealer. (I'm assuming they did the recent work as you mentioned the gasket maker on the dipstick)

I had mine go into torque reduction mode (that's what the dealer called it) and the dealer was the only one that could reset it. However, I'm not sure if limp mode and what he called torque reduction is the same thing.

Yes, this was all warranty work.

It's probably the same thing. They called it limp mode last time this happened which was when the cams and a bunch of other stuff was replaced.

How was yours driving when it happened to you?

I'm on graves right now so it's difficult for me to get my Jeep in. It's never a quick process either. Somehow dropping my vehicle off always takes at least an hour.

Any other ideas how to get it out of limp (or whatever they call it now) until I'm able to get it to the dealer?

Heholua

Are you able to find out what CEL codes are coming up? The only way I know how to get the Jeep out of limp mode is to have a code reader clear the codes.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I did not. The cams were replaced recently and the belt/water pump since the belt/pulley exploded and inhaled he belt through the crank seal - that's what they said.

I found what appears to be dried silicone on my dip stick. Plenty of oil but silicone on the dip stick. My guess is this was the dealers attempt to make a gasket(?).

Update:
Light is back on. So I haven't gotten anywhere.

]
dang, that sucks! i would go back to the dealer with that. good luck getting this resolved.

Voodoo Actual

Are you able to find out what CEL codes are coming up? The only way I know how to get the Jeep out of limp mode is to have a code reader clear the codes.

Have you checked codes?

I have a Flashcal that reads and clears codes. But it only found codes for my lighting since I have Truck-Lites. I cleared what it found - that didn't do anything.

I have an OBD II as well. I'll go check again with both.

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

Okay. I can't spend any more time in this right now but here is what I've come up with for now:

This is what the Flashcal read:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427167117.898162.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427167140.491710.jpg

This is useless. I know I have Truck-lites. Thanks Flashcal.

This is what the OBD II read:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427167225.258472.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427167246.101868.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427167265.741225.jpg

It would appear the oil theory is correct - this is why the vehicle went into limp mode.

It is clear this condition was caused by the Chrysler techs. We will be having a friendly conversation about their "quality" of work and they will be taking care of the repair. At a minimum.

We also learned the Flashcal does not read and clear the codes what we need it to read and clear - something to keep in mind.

Heholua

It may not necessarily be the tech's fault. It's a faulty sensor that went bad. Hopefully the dealer will have one in stock. Even if you were able to clear the code, it would come right back on. Best of luck to you.

Voodoo Actual

It may not necessarily be the tech's fault. It's a faulty sensor that went bad. Hopefully the dealer will have one in stock. Even if you were able to clear the code, it would come right back on. Best of luck to you.

I'd say bits of silicone fall under the tech. That shows pretty messy work. Who knows what else they've done wrong. For all I know, their work could be contributing to a lot of things.

If silicone on the dip stick is normal, okay. I don't ever remember silicone on your dip stick being normal, or advised though.

Update:
2 ignition cycles and it's back in limp mode. Looks like it will be this way until I have time to get it in.

Last edited:

SASI4BT

You might have silicone plugging up the oil pick up screen, if this is really an oil pressure problem, you should think twice about driving it. Just my two cents.

Voodoo Actual

You might have silicone plugging up the oil pick up screen, if this is really an oil pressure problem, you should think twice about driving it. Just my two cents.

I don't have that option. I have a vehicle because I need it.

I contacted Lithia, here, and they acknowledged the silicone is from their technicians after I sent them the pictures posted here. They refused to take my vehicle in until their service manager tells them what to do.

I'm not sure if that's the most tactically sound decision they made but that's what they relayed to me.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I don't have that option. I have a vehicle because I need it.

I contacted Lithia, here, and they acknowledged the silicone is from their technicians after I sent them the pictures posted here. They refused to take my vehicle in until their service manager tells them what to do.

I'm not sure if that's the most tactically sound decision they made but that's what they relayed to me.

They won't offer a loaner?

Top Bottom