The almighty Wayalife is God's and I'm just an idiot with a JK

aermotor

To refute some earlier claims:

1. I pushed my axle back on my 4 door to gain clearance from the pinch seam and avoid rubbing on flex and have zero issues.
  2. I have run a front Tom Woods shaft for 4 years with no problems with their 'cheap' joints. To say their shafts are shit because they use a cheaper joint makes no sense.
  3. I have the JKS adjustable spring perches and EVO plush coils and have ample room and am not even close to hitting the track bar.
  4. This was all done with a stock rear shaft.

Though with a 2 door you will probably want an aftermarket rear shaft, and every setup is different, so what works for someone may not for another.

ETA: Haha epic! I made the front page mom! And for the record I never made that post title Eddie haha! :rock:

beatdeadhorse5.gif

Originally posted here:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25615-Rear-drive-shaft

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
[*]I pushed my axle back on my 4 door to gain clearance from the pinch seam and avoid rubbing on flex and have zero issues.

Ummm, you do see where the OP has a 2-door, right? You do know that it makes a BIG difference, right?

I have run a front Tom Woods shaft for 4 years with no problems with their 'cheap' joints.

And exactly how many miles have you put on during those 4 years? How many trail runs and what trails were they? From what I have seen, it's all relative and if you've been lucky with what you've got, good for you. For me, I can't make up the breaks that I've seen. But hey, to each their own.

I have the JKS adjustable spring perches and EVO plush coils and have ample room and am not even close to hitting the track bar.

Again, YOU HAVE A 4-DOOR. The OP has a 2-DOOR. There is a BIG difference between the two and how everything lines up.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
To refute some earlier claims:

1. I pushed my axle back on my 4 door to gain clearance from the pinch seam and avoid rubbing on flex and have zero issues.
  2. I have run a front Tom Woods shaft for 4 years with no problems with their 'cheap' joints. To say their shafts are shit because they use a cheaper joint makes no sense.
  3. I have the JKS adjustable spring perches and EVO plush coils and have ample room and am not even close to hitting the track bar.
  4. This was all done with a stock rear shaft.

Though with a 2 door you will probably want an aftermarket rear shaft, and every setup is different, so what works for someone may not for another.

So last year I broke my JE Reel rear shaft on the JKX. Luckily another driver had a complete replacement with yokes. I bought it without asking what brand it was. I needed one and it really did not matter.

I pulled the a shaft of the box. The first thing I thought was, WOW this thing is really poor quality. The welds look like shit, the paint was not nice. It really looked like it was made in China. Wouldn't you know it, a Tom woods sticker fell out of the box when I was looking for hardware.

I've only did light wheeling after the JKX, it's held up fine. But it sure left a bad impression for quality. The JE Reel was beat on and still looked better.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fast forward to 18:18 on this video

What kind of shaft was it that broke?

Honestly, I just can't make this shit up. The fact that we happened to capture the moment on video was just par for the course. The saddest part about the whole thing is that this is the first and ONLY trail this Jeep ran with us all week. Didn't even make it half way up before his cheap Chinese Tom Woods u-joint blew.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Fast forward to 18:18 on this video

What kind of shaft was it that broke?

Honestly, I just can't make this shit up. The fact that we happened to capture the moment on video was just par for the course. The saddest part about the whole thing is that this is the first and ONLY trail this Jeep ran with us all week. Didn't even make it half way up before his cheap Chinese Tom Woods u-joint blew.

Quit making this shit up Eddie. Lol. Anyways, sucks a guy has to pay extra to get quality u joints with a woody.

aermotor

Why is everyone yelling :(

Like I said, everyone's experiences are different and I just tried to replay my experience. Maybe I shouldn't even be here.

ETA: The Woods shaft has about 70K road miles and I've run Cougar Butes a few times, a couple Big Bear trails and random wheeling here and there. Granted I think it's from 2009 or so, maybe their quality was better back then?

Last edited:

aermotor

Eddie was :rolleyes2:

Control arm joint? Just rebuilt the rear this weekend but used Metalcloak's on the lowers, TF on the rest. They had 60k miles on them and I got them used before that. Never had any issues, it was just time.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Control arm joint? Just rebuilt the rear this weekend but used Metalcloak's on the lowers, TF on the rest. They had 60k miles on them and I got them used before that. Never had any issues, it was just time.

Lol, funny I didn't hear him yelling. If you are not pushing your jeep enough to blow out teraflex joints. (I've witnessed them blow out on one Moab trail). I doubt you are wheeling your jeep hard enough to break a cheap u joint.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why is everyone yelling :(

WHAT?? YOU MEAN IF I TRY TO EMPAHSIZE THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE A 4-DOOR AND THE OP HAS A 2-DOOR BY TYPING THE FACT IN CAPS, I'M SOMEHOW YELLING AT YOU? :crazyeyes:

Like I said, everyone's experiences are different and I just tried to replay my experience.

You're right, everyone's got their own experiences. Me, I'm just a dumbass newbie who clearly needed to be refuted. Apparently, there's so much I can learn from an expert like you :yup:

Maybe I shouldn't even be here.

LOL!! Well that was a gay thing to say but hey, if that's how you feel, don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave :standing wave:

ETA: The Woods shaft has about 70K road miles and I've run Cougar Butes a few times, a couple Big Bear trails and random wheeling here and there. Granted I think it's from 2009 or so, maybe their quality was better back then?

:yawn37: What I thought. :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! You're running TeraFlex arms? Exactly how the hell did you manage to extend them 1" longer than stock like the OP is wanting to do with a set of RK arms that come 1" longer? I mean, I suppose it can be done but you'd have to be a real dumbass to do it being that you'd have so little of the shank still in the control arm.

aermotor

That you guys can be assholes sometimes, are a cliquey and think your shit don't stink and that your God's gift to JKs. I've met you a few times and you seemed okay on the surface, but back in the forums it's fuck the idiots and pass the dunce caps out like they are cheap bumps of coke in the 80s. I guess because I don't wheel as hard or as much as the almighty Wayalife God's I'm just an idiot with a JK

:beer:

Just want a place to come with likeminded people to have fun with JKs but all the flamethrowers are getting boring.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That you guys can be assholes sometimes, are a cliquey and think your shit don't stink and that your God's gift to JKs. I've met you a few times and you seemed okay on the surface, but back in the forums it's fuck the idiots and pass the dunce caps out like they are cheap bumps of coke in the 80s. I guess because I don't wheel as hard or as much as the almighty Wayalife God's I'm just an idiot with a JK :beer:

1427138735081.jpg
I knew it.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
:clap2:

Hah, whatever that means.

Ill spell it out for you.

It means you are spouting the same rhetoric as the past sissys who couldnt handle being wrong. Then, after being called out they resort to the "you guys are a bunch of assholes/elitists".

Dont like it here? Leave.

Top Bottom