Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 SEMA B.A.D. - Bead Assist Device Eklipse 17 Wheels

2012 SEMA B.A.D. - Bead Assist Device Eklipse 17 Wheels

No pun intended, these B.A.D. or, Bead Assist Device Wheels are DOT compliant internal beadlocks and are seriously BAD ASS - Check it out!!

This is what the wheel actually looks like and, as you can see, the anchor points are located on the inside of the wheel...

This is a close up cross section of how it secures the bead of your tire...

It should be noted that the outter ring is actually NOT required to make it work. In fact, it is sold as a "sacrificial" ring or what some refer to as a rock ring and is more cosmetic than anything.

Here's a shot of the wheel with all the pieces...

Here's what it looks like mounted on a tire and without the sacrificial ring...

What it looks like complete with the sacrificial ring...

From their website:

Eklipse 17
    Designed from the ground up to suite the varied needs of off road enthusiasts, the Eklipse 17 combines a DOT compliant internal beadlock with modular versatility. Integral to the beadlock system of each Eklipse 17 are six exterior anchor points that let you secure additional accessories. Items such as terrain-specific sacrificial rock rings enable consumers to modify the wheels appearance while fortifying areas that would otherwise be exposed to rock rash. Other features enable the Eklipse 17 the ability to provide tactical solutions to everyday problems. We didn’t set out to build another wheel, we wanted to reinvent it.

Specifications
    Size: 17 x10 (in)
    Weight: 38 (lbs) bare (no hardware) / 45.5 with hardware / 50.5 with hardware and 1/2-thick sacrificial rock ring
    Backspace: 3.5 (in)
    Available Lug Patterns: 5 on 4.5, 5 on 5, 5 on 5.5, 6 on 5.5, 6 on 6.5, 8 on 6.5, 8 on 170
    Approved Tire Size: 42 (in)
    Weight Capacity: 3,000 (lbs) 5 & 6 lug, 3,500 (lbs) 8 lug

Thanks for pointing this out. It's a very nice looking and innovative wheel. Looks like it has made it to one that I'm considering.

This is pretty cool. Do they have this in a double bead lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Robar View Post
    This is pretty cool. Do they have this in a double bead lock?
    I don't think so. Not sure how it would work as a double as the single would be hard enough to install.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I don't think so. Not sure how it would work as a double as the single would be hard enough to install.
    No kidding, I was examining every pic wondering how would one install the inner pieces. Those clips would be a PITA. I like the fact these wheels do offer a quick air release valve, if I'm seeing it right.

Fresh Catch
    Found this

Those are some B. A. D. ass wheels! Makes me re-think my bead lock wheel selections!

So I watched the video and have a question. For those that run "traditional" beadlocks how much more/less difficult will the installation of tires be on this wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    So I watched the video and have a question. For those that run "traditional" beadlocks how much more/less difficult will the installation of tires be on this wheel?
    Only going of the photos and video, it does not look necessarily difficult, just really time consuming. It's definitely doable at home without tireshop type changing equipment, but when compared to traditional beadlocks, it looks like a pain in the ass!
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by GCM 2 View Post
    Only going of the photos and video, it does not look necessarily difficult, just really time consuming. It's definitely doable at home without tireshop type changing equipment, but when compared to traditional beadlocks, it looks like a pain in the ass!
    what he said. time consuming for sure but the benefits are significant. there are fewer bolts to to tighten down though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast