Lift and gas mileage

JRied

I was prepared for a loss of mpg when I installed my new higher lift but the opposite is happening. I have the same schedule and route everyday and my gas light goes off and I drive 30 miles then fill it up every 8 days no matter what. Always 8 days. But now I'm on day 9 and have a 1/4 tank left and mpg are up to 14.6 from about 12/13 (zero highway miles). I feel I've driven more aggressive as well being that it handles a lot better and I've done two extra 50 mile trips that I usually don't do in my jeep ... Anyone heard of it getting better after a lift? Maybe my previous one somehow inhibited it.

thechrisjones

I have a 2015 JKU hard rock manual transmission, put 3 inch lift, 20 inch wheels, 37 inch nitto trail grapplers, full spare, and stock 4:10 gears, AEV procal. Was getting 13.9 MPG before and getting 14.3 MPG now! Crazy

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Bigger tires and higher gears will get better mileage on the highway then factory tires and those same gears.

CJW

Bigger tires and higher gears will get better mileage on the highway then factory tires and those same gears.

Agree with this. Did u add taller tires with your lift and not change gearing? If so the above statement is why.

JRied

Agree with this. Did u add taller tires with your lift and not change gearing? If so the above statement is why.

Same tires and same gears.... I know mpg could be misleading but the qtr tank of gas was the big surprise for me. I added all 8 JJ control arms, coils, DLF kit, brake lines. Still need to order my driveshaft

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Same tires and same gears.... I know mpg could be misleading but the qtr tank of gas was the big surprise for me. I added all 8 JJ control arms, coils, DLF kit, brake lines. Still need to order my driveshaft

Very interesting. I was going to mention the same think as Overlander, but I see you did not go with a taller tire. I was also going to ask if you corrected everything with a programmer for the taller tires, etc. but that would be irrelevant with a lift only. Not sure how just adding a lift would improve mileage. Definitely interested in hearing some theories on this.

JRied

To me it's not possible. I increased height and increased more drag so if anything it should have dropped. Oh well lol no biggie was just curious

trailless

Caught the Bug
Not as crazy as my theory thaty trucklites bumped my mpg from 14 to 17. I swear from the day I installed them I started averaging 3mpg better....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mitrig

Stock I was getting 9L/100km which was amazing. But once I lifed 2.5 I stRted getting 12.9 then lifted 2.5 more and got 17.9 then added 35s and started getting 20.2 then swapped my rough country coils and shocks for full traction and fox reservoirs and suddenly I'm getting 16

Spencer11496

Far fetched idea here:

Your jeep turned into an airplane wing. With the jeep being higher it's easier for air to get underneath it, but the air still takes longer to travel over the top of the jeep. This creates lift and therefore your jeep consumes less fuel. In theory it works. Maybe…

MrHooah04

Very interesting. I was going to mention the same think as Overlander, but I see you did not go with a taller tire. I was also going to ask if you corrected everything with a programmer for the taller tires, etc. but that would be irrelevant with a lift only. Not sure how just adding a lift would improve mileage. Definitely interested in hearing some theories on this.

I also believe he has a man tranny..therefore no need to recalibrate anything.

Jk saw he has an auto! Carry on ha!

JDDK

I like where this is going. In fact, lifted jeeps could someday make the prius obsolete. We are saving the planet one liftkit at a time. Does anyone know where to locate a "hybrid" badge? Im dying to stick one on and look for prius to park next to.

JAGS

Hooked
You mentioned previous lift in first post.

What were you running then (gears and tires) vs what are you running now (gears and tires). Did you have a programmer with previous set-up? And now? I didn't see that you provided.

JRied

You mentioned previous lift in first post.

What were you running then (gears and tires) vs what are you running now (gears and tires). Did you have a programmer with previous set-up? And now? I didn't see that you provided.

First lift was a dealer installed Rubicon express I think, real craptastic and was a 2.5", ghetto with sway bar drop bracket, too short sway links, etc etc.. Now I have Currie 4". I kept the same gears and tires I had since I've purchased the vehicle. 35"

Mitrig

I like where this is going. In fact, lifted jeeps could someday make the prius obsolete. We are saving the planet one liftkit at a time. Does anyone know where to locate a "hybrid" badge? Im dying to stick one on and look for prius to park next to.

like this? i can park by all hybrids and even in those fancy hybrid parking spots now. IMG_6114.jpg

Top Bottom