Roof Rack options for JKU with hard top

rich67

Caught the Bug
So I am looking for a roof rack with a basket option for my JKU hard top. I had the Lange rack, but it's only practical for hauling kayaks and not much else. I'd like to have the kayak hauling ability and a rack to stow my camping gear on road trips, my shovel and axe, and whatever else I can throw in it to keep space inside my Jeep. I don't want and can't afford something like those huge tubular rack setups that cost over a grand. I need something around 4-5 hundred that won't snap off if I go 5 pounds over the weight limit and I am jostling it over the rocks. I also don't mind a rear spare tire mount basket if I can attach some Rotopax and still store a good amount of gear (tent, small cooler, etc). But the mounting of that extra weight to the spare tire carrier makes me nervous. I already have a hitch mount carrier, and that works great for on-road adventures, but I don't like taking it off road. Anyone got a setup they want to share?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Not sure if there is anything out there for all that at that price range.

I agree. Good luck finding something sturdy that can hold a rooftop tent in that price range. I have the Wild Boar roof rack but that's not in your budget. If I had to buy one today I'd buy the new LOD but that is well beyond your price range also. You might have to modify your expectations to hit your price point and get a decently built rack that will hold up to holding what you put on it while traversing rough terrain.

rich67

Caught the Bug
What kind of price range should I be looking at? I was pricing out the Thule gutter mount rack (which makes me a bit nervous) which runs at about $300-$350, and I could get a basket for about $200 that may be compatible...that's kind of what I was moving towards. Is the gutter mount not a good option? I think I worry a shifting load might severely damage the top at the gutter points...

xkid

I guess that is possible, but to have a kayak on there ,it would be better to have the kayak sitting on rails farther apart. Could work though. Also, when you tie down the kayak with a safe amount of pressure, I would worry about the weight the gutters would be taking. Just my opinion.

aermotor

When I was originally looking, there was little useful info about roof racks out there as far as a simple setup goes. I found out that the Garvin roof racks come in all sorts of universal sizes (but they don't 'officially' list them as fitting a Jeep) and after some research and measuring I found something that was good and workable.

I got their 4x5 Off Road Series Track Rack. Simply mount the two tracks/rails to your hardtop, assemble the basket and throw it on there. It's got a great, durable finish and holds a crap load of weight. Garvin also has a ton of accessories for their racks as well which is nice.

I got mine from 4WD, except I found a cheaper place online and made them price match it. I think I got it for $627 delivered to my door.

Garvin Industries - 61330

garvin1.jpg

garvin3.jpg

garvin4.jpg

garvin2.jpg

Last edited:

rich67

Caught the Bug
When I was originally looking, there was little useful info about roof racks out there as far as a simple setup goes. I found out that the Garvin roof racks come in all sorts of universal sizes and after some research and measuring I found something that was good and workable for around $600 or so.

I got their 4x5 Off Road Series Track Rack. Simply mount the two tracks/rails to your hardtop, assemble the basket and throw it on there. It's got a great, durable finish and holds a crap load of weight. Garvin also has a shit ton of accessories for their racks as well which is nice.

I got mine from 4WD, except I found a cheaper place online and made them price match it. I think I got it for $627 delivered to my door.

garvin1.jpg

garvin3.jpg

garvin4.jpg

garvin2.jpg

Thank you!! Now THAT is what I
Am looking for..great info.

jasonj123

I have a diamondrax low profile rack. It is a bit more than your price point though

Attachments

• 1427404410110.jpg
    1427404410110.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 136
When I was originally looking, there was little useful info about roof racks out there as far as a simple setup goes. I found out that the Garvin roof racks come in all sorts of universal sizes (but they don't 'officially' list them as fitting a Jeep) and after some research and measuring I found something that was good and workable.

I got their 4x5 Off Road Series Track Rack. Simply mount the two tracks/rails to your hardtop, assemble the basket and throw it on there. It's got a great, durable finish and holds a crap load of weight. Garvin also has a shit ton of accessories for their racks as well which is nice.

garvin1.jpg

garvin3.jpg

garvin4.jpg

garvin2.jpg

I use this same rack. It's really quite great.

Rccrwlr

Don't really have a great picture I realized but I run a Thule on the rear door gutters and mounted the artificial rain gutter bracket above the rear window.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427426925.387391.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427426940.075591.jpg .

Would never put the front bar in the freedom panels but my setup is pretty stout and Thule has all kinds of accessories. Check craigslist

aermotor

While they have that site, it's still really confusing cause they still don't even list the rack I'm using. They have a smaller one. I don't know why they make it complicated when all one needs is tracks and a rack for a specific dimension.

Top Bottom