Metal on metal sound? Maybe?

JRied

Try to make this short. Bought my jeep and when I hit a small hole on the road at speed I hear a what sounds like metal on metal clank (loud 1 time, not a rattle) coming from what sounds like the steering wheel area but way down it may be in the engine Bay Area on other side of fire Wall idk. Just installed my new lift and like an idiot I drilled out my drag link flip kit knuckle to 7/8 instead of 13/16. So i drove it around for a cpl days loose (tightened all the way down but there's still play in the knuckle because the sleeve is too small for the hole so that's why I say loose) while I waited for the new 7/8 insert to run the new drag link currectly. During that 5-6 day period I hit the same hole and SILENCE, no sound. I'm happy. Received the new correct size knuckle insert and installed the flipped drag link correctly where it's no longer a tad loose in the hole and CLANK! sounds back when I hit the hole. Wtf am I hearing it drives me crazy. Mainly when right tire alone absorbs the impact. Is it sector shaft area? Idk what to look for and its pissing me off

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Assuming you have everything torqued to spec, what lift, factory track bar, sway bar links are you running? Sometimes aftermarket parts are the culprit. I had a loud clunking sound on every road bump, turned out to be my 3 month old synergy track bar already wore out. Put my factory one back and fixed the noise

JRied

It was all stock parts except coils n Rancho 9000 shocks. I then replaced all the arms and coils and sway links with Currie and the noise is still there. Still am running the stock trac bar since I installed the Evo drag link flip. And yes it's all torqued to spec. I had the noise before my new lift kit and after

JRied

Not steering clunk. Here's the video. You can hear the loud noise followed by my keys rattle. Hit small hole with passenger front tire. Again there was zero noise when I had the drag link loose on the knuckle. Now that it's put on correctly again the noise is back

http://youtu.be/bKFgVb_jwuI

Top Bottom