painted wheel wells

desertrunner

For those who have painted their inner rear wheel well after doing a factory fender chop what did you do to prep the surface for paint? Or did you just slap the paint over the factory paint?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I taped, scuffed, wiped down, drank beer, 2 coats of Rust-Oleum professional Primer (rattler), drank beer, 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating (rattler). 12k mi later and no chips at all... I swear that it is tougher than my powder coating. Someday I'll go back and paint between the flare and slider.:icon_crazy:

2015-03-26 19.50.03.jpg

Last edited:

desertrunner

Sounds good to me
I'm not particularly looking for something that looks like it's off the show room floor just wanted to make sure it should stick to the factory paint ok

ttfhell

I pressure washed it. Half ass wiped it off, grabbed a piece of cardboard and spray can bed lined it. Five minutes to spray and it lasts much longer than paint.

TheDuff

I sprayed mine off with a hose, put a trash bag over the rim and tire and plastidiped mine. Have held up for over 2 yrs. And haven't even done any touch up.

JK LYF

I did mine last weekend. I scuffed mine up with 120 grit, wiped everything down with rubbing alcohol, taped everything up and sprayed. I did three coats to each side. Ill put my flares back on this Saturday. Looking for something to cover the two big holes first....Don't want water to get in there....Everything came out clean.....Glad I did it....

desertrunner

Since it didn't sound like too big of a deal for making it perfect I went with the 6 pack of PBR and the primer and paint I had left over from doing my front bumper route. I'll post pics after it dries maybe tomorrow in the daylight.

For those that used the bed liner how does it look after a while of getting dirt in there I hear it could leave it looking kinda Gray and brown with time?

I taped, scuffed, wiped down, drank beer, 2 coats of Rust-Oleum professional Primer (rattler), drank beer, 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating (rattler). 12k mi later and no chips at all... I swear that it is tougher than my powder coating.

I did the exact same thing. The key step in the process, is the beer break.

USMCvet

Banned
Great job on the paint. One question with regard to the beer, what brand is best for this project? Cheaper and more or micro brews with higher alcohol content? Thanks for the info, I'm getting ready to do mine.

Rccrwlr

Great job on the paint. One question with regard to the beer, what brand is best for this project? Cheaper and more or micro brews with higher alcohol content? Thanks for the info, I'm getting ready to do mine.

^^^this is what I was wondering also!

hbkid22

I am a fan of micro brews and enjoying them versus quantity. Plus it also makes sure you don't drink to many and spray the wrong part! :)

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I pressure washed it. Half ass wiped it off, grabbed a piece of cardboard and spray can bed lined it. Five minutes to spray and it lasts much longer than paint.

^^ I did this with the addition of beer and instead of bed liner just used rustolium. It's held up pretty good but needs a touch up after a year and a half.:beer:

Top Bottom