Cut Fender Flares Question

BlueBox

For those of you who cut your fender flares: Did you reattach the flare to the sub structure at all? Or is it just the plastic clips that hold it on now?

I recently had a run in with a tree that resulted in the quick removal of a fender flare:
wieovJc.jpg

Upon reinstallation I realized all the attachment points for the rivets are now gone. Just wonder how stable it will be at highway speeds with just the plastic clips hanging on.

ChrisMR589

I had just clips on mine, chopped. I heard a slapping sound coming front the front end and leaned forward to look out and my flare was trying to fly away. I went down to the local harware store and got 4 short bolts, nuts and washers and put one on first (top) and one one last (bottom) holes where the clips slide in on each side and I haven't had any more issues. Now as stated above it may not allow your fender to just "pop" off while wheeling but I'm more on the side of safety and it not flying off, hitting a car and causing an accident while cruising down the highway.

dwmgcs

Mine are clips only as well, I removed all the inner structure pieces and installed a rubber bumper on the little bracket that sticks out at the top under the fender after you remove all that plastic crap to help support it a little.

Torqt JK

I kept the substructure but trimmed it significantly. I was concerned that without it the wind would play havoc with the flares but I guess it's not needed

I would keep the substructure and trim accordingly. How much you will trim the front will greatly impact how much flapping you will have. I left a good portion of the front (fender) when I trimmed and have minimal too no flapping. I have friends that have cut substantially more from the front of the fenders and claim to not have flapping but when I pull along side they are flapping. A piece of double sided padded tape will solve any flapping problem but is a pain to deal with if you are working/pulling your fenders off and on.

hudginsja

I left most of the sub structure as I could. Just trimmed it down so it looked good. I get a little flapping at high speeds, but it's not something you can hear, or even really see unless you stare at the fenders!

BlueBox

Awesome. Thanks for all the replies guys.

I ended up putting the substructure back on, but its not attached at the outer edge anymore (the hit ripped all the attachment points off). I assume that's really the same as a trimmed flare though. It definitely feels more solid with the substructure under there. I cant tell if its actually pinching it against the body, or just holding it up but I like it more.

What are your thoughts on the skirt underneath? I wheel in a lot of mud so its probably best to put it back on to keep as much out of the engine as I can, but man does it make it nice having an extra access to things. I'm still trying to get over how much less access the JK has than my TJ. Tempted to take the other side off too!

Top Bottom