Running without front axle stub shaft (trail fix)

Txjkjpr

Out wheeling this weekend, and one of the JK's in our group broke his front passenger u-joint and in the process trashed his shaft end that we were not able to replace with a new cross. Actually had to cut the ears off just to remove it. We removed the shaft and got him all put back to rolling and sent him on his way out. A few hours later we got a call from him, he was told that running without the stub shaft would damage the Unit Bearing. Is this the truth? I am asking because I have seen guys run off the trail without a problem, and of course get it fixed as soon as possible. Just wanted to check to see if this is something that is really needed. We caught up to him and put the stub shaft back in for his peace of mind, but debated amongst ourselves if it was really needed.

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On a JK, you can run without a stub shaft and without any issues. The unit bearings are contained and will not fall out the way they would on a TJ. Your buddy's info is just a little outdated.

Txjkjpr

On a JK, you can run without a stub shaft and without any issues. The unit bearings are contained and will not fall out the way they would on a TJ. Your buddy's info is just a little outdated.

Thanks Eddie- That was my position, but if it made him feel better then who am I to argue. Thanks for the response. And by the way, we looked at Carnage Canyon where you ran in 2013. YOU the MAN for running that.

Sahara4me

Like Eddie said its not supposed to need a shaft but we just had a fellow Jeeper break an axle shaft at Windrock, TN and before he made it back to Nashville his unit bearing failed, wheel and tire flew off the jeep with the spindle still attached to the wheel... Jeep just bought the jeep that Friday before and didn't even have 1000 miles on it yet..

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Like Eddie said its not supposed to need a shaft but we just had a fellow Jeeper break an axle shaft at Windrock, TN and before he made it back to Nashville his unit bearing failed, wheel and tire flew off the jeep with the spindle still attached to the wheel... Jeep just bought the jeep that Friday before and didn't even have 1000 miles on it yet..

Yikes! The unit bearing must have been damaged when the shaft failed. Most likely something got bent really bad and then made a few rotations where it imposed damaging forces to the unit bearing. The unit bearing carries 100% of the weight, regardless of there being a shaft or not. The only thing the axle shaft is providing is the rotational force to turn the wheel in 4WD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie- That was my position, but if it made him feel better then who am I to argue. Thanks for the response. And by the way, we looked at Carnage Canyon where you ran in 2013. YOU the MAN for running that.

To be fair, Cindy ran it so I guess she'd be "the MAN" :crazyeyes:

No, unlike a TJ, a JK unit bearing simply does NOT need a stub shaft to keep the bearings in place. Also, a unit bearing has NO SPINDLE - that's what makes it a "unit bearing". Are you sure that the axle break didn't take out the ball joints and cause the entire knuckle to fall off? Now that is a VERY COMMON thing to happen and that would have taken the wheel and everything with it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that so long as you plug your axle tube to keep crap out and gear oil from leaking out, you should be able to run just fine without a stub shaft installed on your JK. Trust me, I've done it for thousands of miles and EVO even sells what they call an SBS plug just for this purpose. SBS meaning "should've bought a 60". They double as a t-case shifter and I used to have 2 of them. "Used to" are the key words.

I should note that so long as you plug your axle tube to keep crap out and gear oil from leaking out, you should be able to run just fine without a stub shaft installed on your JK. Trust me, I've done it for thousands of miles and EVO even sells what they call an SBS plug just for this purpose. SBS meaning "should've bought a 60". They double as a t-case shifter and I used to have 2 of them. "Used to" are the key words.

Alana (my wife) drove her Jeep for three weeks while I prepped Steve's (Cozdude) old housing with replacement parts. She drives about 20 miles of interstate one way to/from work. No issues at all.

I didn't know EVO had this. I was going to make something for this very purpose. Now I'm just going to call them! (learn something every day) :thumb::yup:

Sahara4me

I wasn't saying the broken axle missing caused the failure but more so if the bearing fails it can be bad. I'm sure breaking the axle had to have done some collateral damage to the unit bearing to have cause it to break down and melt within 100 miles on the interstate. I will say the guy beat on it for a day and a half like it was a rental car lol

the_debtenator

2wd jk unit hub bearings

Does anyone know what hub units the 2wd wranglers use? I'm assuming the same as the 4wd. But if so, why do people always reccomend re installing the outter shaft to the hub unit if you break a shaft on the trail? Does the 2wd have any splined shaft inside the hub unit?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Does anyone know what hub units the 2wd wranglers use? I'm assuming the same as the 4wd. But if so, why do people always reccomend re installing the outter shaft to the hub unit if you break a shaft on the trail? Does the 2wd have any splined shaft inside the hub unit?

Not sure if they're the same but I also don't hear people recommend that.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
2wd jk unit hub bearings

Because those are TJ, YJ and XJ owners. They need the outter stub shaft so the unit bearing does fall apart.

The JK can run without it. I'm 99% sure the 2wd JK has the same Unit bearing as the 4wd.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Because those are TJ, YJ and XJ owners. They need the outter stub shaft so the unit bearing does fall apart.

The JK can run without it. I'm 99% sure the 2wd JK has the same Unit bearing as the 4wd.

LOL - you sound like someone who's been around older Jeep.

Same bearings

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

JRUnlimited

I have a 2wd JK and the wheel hub beaings are the same as you would find on a 4wd JK. It's actually easier to replace on a 2wd as you don't have to deal with the axle nut or axle shaft. Took me about 2 hours to do my front end.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Wheel sitting on unit bearing.

Will it be okay if I have my wheel sitting in the unit bearing for a couple days? Was planning on pulling my axle shaft so I can change the u joint when I get it tomorrow. Would be a couple days before I can re-install it. 37 nitto trail grap on a slab. Maybe sit it on a jack stand so it relieves some pressure?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Wheel sitting on unit bearing.

Will it be okay if I have my wheel sitting in the unit bearing for a couple days? Was planning on pulling my axle shaft so I can change the u joint when I get it tomorrow. Would be a couple days before I can re-install it. 37 nitto trail grap on a slab. Maybe sit it on a jack stand so it relieves some weight?

Top Bottom