VIDEO: SEMA Show Spotlight - Nitto Tire KoH K-Spec Trail Grappler M/T

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After making its debut at the 2012 King of the Hammers Ultra 4 Race in Johnson Valley, CA, and after about a year of extensive testing by Off Road Evolution, Nitto Tire has decided to release the highly desired K-Spec Trail Grappler M/T in a DOT approved rubber compound. Overall, this new tire is every bit the one used by the pros at KoH only now, it’s street legal and won’t wear down to a nub in just a few thousand miles. It has the exact same tread pattern, it still retains the aggressive proprietary shoulder lug design and will only be available in a 40x13.50 tire size. In this short SEMA Show Spotlight video, you’ll get to see Mel Wade of Off Road Evolution (one of the persons responsible for it’s design) highlight this awesome new tire. I hope you enjoy.

GCM 2

If only these had been ready for us to "test" during the JKX :naw: I know what I will be running in the future! Oh well, love my mud grapplers, no complaints there :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If only these had been ready for us to "test" during the JKX :naw: oh well, love my mud grapplers :thumb:

In a way, I'm really glad that they weren't available yet as it gave me a chance to test out a set of Mud Grapplers - something I've always wanted to do but, had been reluctant to do. Now that I have, I can say with first hand experience that the noise isn't as bad as I thought it would be and the performance of them is outstanding. With any luck, I'll get a chance to test out a set of K-Spec Trail Grapplers someday too :yup:

Tackerdown

Banned
Well , I wasn't planning on going that big , but maybe by the time I get to that point in my build they will have made some smaller sizes or maybe I'll be thinking 40's yeah definitely need 40's .

bl17z90

Are they only going to be avalible in 40? I will be getting 40's one day but not until i can enlarge my budget.

Eddie, do the mud grapplers have a flutter sort of sound to them? I hear it occasionally when I go by another jeep on the road but I have never actually heard them first hand or knew what i was lstening to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are they only going to be avalible in 40? I will be getting 40's one day but not until i can enlarge my budget.

actually, these will ONLY be available in a 40.

Eddie, do the mud grapplers have a flutter sort of sound to them? I hear it occasionally when I go by another jeep on the road but I have never actually heard them first hand or knew what i was lstening to.

flutter? no, more like a buzzing likes a swarm of bees around your head :crazyeyes:

bl17z90

Dang, well until I get there normal trail grapplers will have to do.

I'm gonna try to find someone around me who has mud grapplers and see if I can figure out that they sound like, don't want to spend that kind of cash on tires and have the sound annoy me too much:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, well until I get there normal trail grapplers will have to do.

I'm gonna try to find someone around me who has mud grapplers and see if I can figure out that they sound like, don't want to spend that kind of cash on tires and have the sound annoy me too much:thumb:

ya know, i'm sure we have some video of us on the highway somewhere. if we have the time, i'll see what i can't do about putting together some kind of sound clip :)

bl17z90

Cool, thanks. My accountant aka the wife is the voice of reason in this relationship and loves the jeep she just asked me to not get a tire that makes too much noise. Shes got a co worker who has rediculously loud tires and I thought they were mud grapplers but I'm not too sure, never seen them myself.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, thanks. My accountant aka the wife is the voice of reason in this relationship and loves the jeep she just asked me to not get a tire that makes too much noise. Shes got a co worker who has rediculously loud tires and I thought they were mud grapplers but I'm not too sure, never seen them myself.

well, to be fair, these are about the noisest tires i've ever run. i don't mind it but if it's a concern, i wouldn't get these. by contrast, the trail grapperls are some of the quietest MT's i've ever run. the only way to get quieter is to run an AT or street tires.

bl17z90

I run a street tire now and barley hear it, and I love the look and the reviews of the trail grappler, not to mention you recommended them to me as a good alternative to toyos awile ago on one of the rubicon videos (i think, may have been moab idk)

Have you ever run the BFG Krawler? I'm wondering how loud they are compared to those.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run a street tire now and barley hear it, and I love the look and the reviews of the trail grappler, not to mention you recommended them to me as a good alternative to toyos awile ago on one of the rubicon videos (i think, may have been moab idk)

Have you ever run the BFG Krawler? I'm wondering how loud they are compared to those.

bfg's are a good tire and are pretty quiet but aren't anywhere as good as nitto's on the trail.

bl17z90

I hear people talk the Krawler up all the time and a friend of mine has them, never had first hand experience with any of their stuff though......prices are higher than nitto too. Is there a reason I never hear anyone talk about Mickey Thompson MTZ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hear people talk the Krawler up all the time and a friend of mine has them, never had first hand experience with any of their stuff though......prices are higher than nitto too. Is there a reason I never hear anyone talk about Mickey Thompson MTZ?

bfg's are a good tire and we used to run them all the time. maybe out in your neck of the woods, they hold up fine but out in the southwest, their paper thin sidewalls are no match for the rocks we have. mickey's are good, i've run a set and they do well.

bl17z90

You had mentioned that the sidewalls arn't strong enough for what you do. In our group we have a guy with nitto another with mickey thompson another who is bfg amongst others so its not dominated by one or the other here. The local shops usually sell Mickey Thompsons though so that may be why i hear a lot more aobut them.

Where we go (Rausch Creek) is mostley rocks but nothing like Moab or the Rubicon its all small rocks lined trails with hill climbs and mud pits here and there. I like it but I really want to make a trip the the Rubicon and to Moab one day. But a few of us are still working on our builds......me being one of them. Isn't there a guy in your group running the stock jk 17's? I have asked a few times and noone has ever said yes or no to this question. Will 35's12.5's fit on the stock 17? I know I will need spacers, I plan on getting the biggest spidertrax I can find 1.75 so far is what I'm looking at.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You had mentioned that the sidewalls arn't strong enough for what you do. In our group we have a guy with nitto another with mickey thompson another who is bfg amongst others so its not dominated by one or the other here. The local shops usually sell Mickey Thompsons though so that may be why i hear a lot more aobut them.

Where we go (Rausch Creek) is mostley rocks but nothing like Moab or the Rubicon its all small rocks lined trails with hill climbs and mud pits here and there. I like it but I really want to make a trip the the Rubicon and to Moab one day. But a few of us are still working on our builds......me being one of them. Isn't there a guy in your group running the stock jk 17's? I have asked a few times and noone has ever said yes or no to this question. Will 35's12.5's fit on the stock 17? I know I will need spacers, I plan on getting the biggest spidertrax I can find 1.75 so far is what I'm looking at.

yes, they will fit a stock 17 and yes, you will need to run 1.5" spacers to do it.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member

We ran 35's on stock 17s with spacers when we had Nemo :yup:

main.php

This setup works great! In fact, we ran the Rubicon in Nemo with this exact setup and had no problems. :)

Top Bottom