Engine Mount vs Under the Seat Mount: ARB Twin Compressor

naysjp

Caught the Bug
So I purchased the ARB Twin Air Compressor and I now need to buy the mounting bracket for either engine mount or under the passenger seat. I'd like to hear which is more efficient. Does the hood close easy enough? There is not a lot of room under a JK. I'm leaning towards under the passenger seat as it's unused space but it looks like a PITA. Since I may (trying to find videos online) have to ask help, I am trying to see which install is the easiest so let's hear it.

I went with the under hood mount from M.O.R.E. Not only was the install pretty simple, but a while back I got a package from them out of the blue that contained a fix to a problem I never even knew about.
Here's a pic of the compressor mounted under the hood. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428360498.564385.jpg And here's a link to the thread about their customer service http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=376042

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So I purchased the ARB Twin Air Compressor and I now need to buy the mounting bracket for either engine mount or under the passenger seat. I'd like to hear which is more efficient. Does the hood close easy enough? There is not a lot of room under a JK. I'm leaning towards under the passenger seat as it's unused space but it looks like a PITA. Since I may (trying to find videos online) have to ask help, I am trying to see which install is the easiest so let's hear it.

I have mine mounted under the passenger seat and have not had any issues from the mounting location. I used the Carolina Metal Masters mount. I do worry about what will happen if I were to ever get into a crash because the ARB is quite heavy and I fear it might put forces on the passenger seat that the seat was not made to handle. That being said, I haven't heard of any accidents and seat failure because of the added weight. Probably not a big issue and hopefully I will never find out.

Noise and heat are not a problem.:thumb:

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I don't had a SPOD installed. Last I checked, you don't need one installed for this correct. SPOD just makes it easy to install all of your accessories.

Last edited:

scull20

I have the ARB twin installed with the M.O.R.E. bracket. Install wasn't anything crazy. I did rotate the manifold slightly to get better hood clearance, but the 90 degree fitting I used is a bit larger because it swivels back and forth. It's been installed for about a month, no issues thus far. I have mine wired directly to the battery for the time being, no sPod...just have the switch zip tied out of the way.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428365259.313532.jpg

P.S. Yes, I'm missing a washer for the bolt...it's since been added.

jedg

I don't had a SPOD installed. Last I checked, you don't need one installed for this correct. SPOD just makes it easy to install all of your accessories.

Nope, no SPOD needed. It comes with instructions on wiring it through a carling switch that is supplied with the compressor.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I really like the idea of mounting the compressor under the seat.

And as far as the extra weight of the compressor Putting stress on the seat mountings, how much weight are we talking about? More than a plus sized passenger?

big dr

Although I don't have it yet,, when I do the twin ARB, it will be under the passenger seat. I have seen several compressors under the hood start to fail prematurely(I think, but cant prove) due to the exposure to heat under the hood. I have to believe it will be happier in a cooler environment.

BigBoy

Although I don't have it yet,, when I do the twin ARB, it will be under the passenger seat. I have seen several compressors under the hood start to fail prematurely(I think, but cant prove) due to the exposure to heat under the hood. I have to believe it will be happier in a cooler environment.

Pondering this same question. Under the seat is appealing for longevity, but I like the idea of under the hood for the quietness in the cab. I have two small boys and don't want them to be exposed to noise inside that could potentially harm their ears while I'm outside airing up. Hmmm.

bekel

I have mine under the hood I thought about under the seat but I plan on upgrading to arb lockers with new axels an didn't want to have it kicking on an off all the time in the cab with we

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I had a viar under hood and it would get soo hot I couldnt even put the hose on. I then switched to the ARB and went under seat in my 2 door which was kind of a pain, but I never did what I wanted and extended the hose. I went under seat again with my JKU and have no issues with the mount and I extended the hose a little that it almost comes out the back of the seat but its in enough its hidden and you would not kick it unless you try. I plan to get arb lockers eventually, but I dont think I will mind the compressor on while driving with how much I dont use them anyway. I would rather have my compressor protected inside than under the hood. Not only heat but also dirt and dust.

AC/DC

I have mine mount in the trunk of my JKU. I had to add about 6ft to the power cables. Just another option.
Added picture ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444945331.217531.jpg

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I had a viar under hood and it would get soo hot I couldnt even put the hose on. I then switched to the ARB and went under seat in my 2 door which was kind of a pain, but I never did what I wanted and extended the hose. I went under seat again with my JKU and have no issues with the mount and I extended the hose a little that it almost comes out the back of the seat but its in enough its hidden and you would not kick it unless you try. I plan to get arb lockers eventually, but I dont think I will mind the compressor on while driving with how much I dont use them anyway. I would rather have my compressor protected inside than under the hood. Not only heat but also dirt and dust.

What brand mount did you use for your JKU?

skijeeper

Mounted mine under the passenger seat, with side outlets on each from seat, and a tank in the back with an outlet. Looking to maybe also run an air horn off it.

Top Bottom