Re-gear advise.

PJF14

So I plan on re-gearing this week and I've read the recent write-up's about going with 5.13 from Eddie. I also read about 5.13 vs 4.88 someone posted recently.

I currently have 33's on my 2012 JK unlimited. I want to go with 5.13 because I want to eventually go with 37's. My question is, is it a bad idea to run 5.13 gears with my 33's until I can afford 37's? 6-12 months tops. It's my daily driver and I drive approximately 14 miles to work on the highway. I realized my RPM's will be higher but was wondering if anyone has run this set up before and how did it they like it.

I also plan on throwing in ARB air lockers with the ARB dual compressor as well.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Wow, with either gear selection you will need to be okay with much lower speeds on the interstate until you get your 37s.

BlackHawk08jk

I run 4.88s with 35s and its a great setup. With that said I think they would be a little much for 33s. if you don't plan to run it for very long I think you could get away with it.

Wardell

If it was just a short period of time between the regear and the tires I wouldn't be worried, but 6 to 12 months is a long time to have such low gears without the tires to go with them since it will have a huge impact on your performance. Personally I'd wait and do both at the same time.

I'm curious, why the rush to regear?

PJF14

Wow, with either gear selection you will need to be okay with much lower speeds on the interstate until you get your 37s.

Yea, I figured as much. Thanks for you input. I'll probably just wait and do them both at the same time.

PJF14

If it was just a short period of time between the regear and the tires I wouldn't be worried, but 6 to 12 months is a long time to have such low gears without the tires to go with them since it will have a huge impact on your performance. Personally I'd wait and do both at the same time.

I'm curious, why the rush to regear?

Thanks for your input. Not really in a rush, but I am starting to have second thoughts about doing the gears now and waiting for the tires. It probably would be best to wait and do both as the same time.

Peak

I personally run 5.13 with 37's Auto Trans and it's great, I recommend that. However, if you have a standard Trans I'd go with 4.88 gears.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I think a visual aid will help, found this on youyube and it will more than clear up why 5.13 on 33" would be way too much

USMCvet

Banned
I have a '15 JKUR running 5:13's with 37's and an automatic. Having researched for months and talked to a good friend about the gear options, this is the combination I opted for. It works great for my application and the rural driving I do, the trails I drive, and towing my 16' fishing boat. On the highway I'm turning about 2650-2675 RPM's at approximately 68 to 70 mph. So the above chart for the 3.6 is right about dead on. To get to town I have to cross a mountain pass and I cruise right over the top with no issues.

PJF14

I have a '15 JKUR running 5:13's with 37's and an automatic. Having researched for months and talked to a good friend about the gear options, this is the combination I opted for. It works great for my application and the rural driving I do, the trails I drive, and towing my 16' fishing boat. On the highway I'm turning about 2650-2675 RPM's at approximately 68 to 70 mph. So the above chart for the 3.6 is right about dead on. To get to town I have to cross a mountain pass and I cruise right over the top with no issues.

Thank you for your input.

Top Bottom