Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel Install

Hunter84

Hello this is my 2nd post, 1st being to enter the winch giveaway.

I just wanted to write about the good the bad and the ugly installing a new Centerforce clutch II series, new pressure plate, and new Centerforce heavy flywheel. Sorry if this is a little long winded if you want my review on everything just skip to the last paragraph.

Sorry I didn't do a write up on this but you can find other post online about replacing the clutch.

The removal of the transmission is fairly straight forward, the removal of the exhaust was probably the most difficult part. I also didn't disconnect the transfer case and don't have a transmission jack. If I ever do this again I will rent one.

Installation is reverse of removal and went smoothly.

After everything was buttoned back up nice and neat go to start the engine and the Jeep just cranks but doesn't start. So I check the the normal things, like fuel and spark and don't get any spark. I pull the crank position sensor and see a small nick where it hit on the flywheel when I pulled the transmission. I think, got it. After returning from the dealership and install new sensor still crank but no spark. The only other thing could be the new flywheel.

So I call Centerforce and they are very helpful and in a polite way said "oops we may have installed the tone ring on the flywheel backwards we will send you a new one and a free t-shirt". At this point I could only laugh at the situation. So I had to pull the transmission one more time. Installed new flywheel Centerforce shipped me being careful not to nick the crank position sensor I removed it this time. Just about had everything put back together and then reinstalled crank sensor then the bolt snapped flush with the bellhousing. Just my luck you can't get to that bolt with an extractor and drill so I dropped the transmission for a third and final time removed broken bolt and reinstalled everything. So if you have any questions about removing a transmission please let me know as I've done it 3 times now.

Well after two weeks of fighting with this I can say that the new clutch is so smooth. The pedal is about the same as factory. The biggest difference was the heavy flywheel it's almost twice as heavy as the stock one. Wow what a difference. This is going to be awesome for offroading and the general drivability. With the heavy flywheel you can take your foot almost completely off the clutch with out giving it gas and it grabs but doesn't stall. This is great for starting on a hill.

Top Bottom