Need help, what do I look for when purchasing used?

cwmt3

Hey all, my wife and are looking to expand our family. It seems my little 2 door sport won't cut it for child seats and such. I love my wrangler, and it's seems simple to me, get the 4 door. Now, as a starting family, we have the small budget that goes with it. I will be buying used.

Here lies the question, what should I look for, and avoid?

Tomorrow I'm going to check out a 2011 jkur, Super excited! 130k km..( I'm in ontario Canada, I will be looking for rust. )

Any advice and tidbits of info are welcome.

Tanner505

11 wranglers were the weird year, along with the 3.8 motor and the new interior design, I believe they share the same ecm as the 12+ wranglers, I would look for leaks and tics when running, Imo I would go for a 12 or newer if possible, I had a 11 JKU and kept it for a year and nought my 13 jkur and I would never go back to a 3.8 especially with the 4 speed transmission that hunts for gears all the time

ScoobyCarolanNC

I've been in my '10 JKU Sahara for almost 2 months. Totally love it. One thing I didn't know to look at: check to make sure the zippers all work & no stitching is missing in a soft top. Go to the dealer with a couple of days left in the month, they'll make better deals to hit a quota.

cwmt3

Yes, I see. I'm a fan of the interior and the Rubicon specs, not a fan of the motor from what I read. I'm currently in a 13 jk, it's got the giddy up I like. They are asking $24k for the 11 Rubi. My mind is going on and on right now trying to weigh it out..

Tanner505

Yes, I see. I'm a fan of the interior and the Rubicon specs, not a fan of the motor from what I read. I'm currently in a 13 jk, it's got the giddy up I like. They are asking $24k for the 11 Rubi. My mind is going on and on right now trying to weigh it out..

All I can say is go drive it, the 3.8 is gutless Imo

Speeddmn

Couple small things I would look for is any and all modifications to it. I'm not saying everyone that has ever owned a jeep used it off road. I think buying a 'virgin' jeep would be best over all. Also one with service records from a dealer, this just shows you how it's life was.

Again not saying a person can't off road and 'beat' on a jeep then clean it up good and use a dealer for their service needs. Small things might just clue you in. Like not having a nuts on the door hinges, this could mean it spent a good deal of time doorless and the previous owner didnt re-install them. If it has a hard top, remove the front freedom panels and check the weather striping. If it looks all mangled it might leak alot...

Over all a used jeep if properly taken care of can still last you a long time. I'm sure you have already looked at everything you can via the internet, just Don't be afraid to take it for a long test drive. Good luck and I hope you get what you want.

Tanner505

Couple small things I would look for is any and all modifications to it. I'm not saying everyone that has ever owned a jeep used it off road. I think buying a 'virgin' jeep would be best over all. Also one with service records from a dealer, this just shows you how it's life was.

Again not saying a person can't off road and 'beat' on a jeep then clean it up good and use a dealer for their service needs. Small things might just clue you in. Like not having a nuts on the door hinges, this could mean it spent a good deal of time doorless and the previous owner didnt re-install them. If it has a hard top, remove the front freedom panels and check the weather striping. If it looks all mangled it might leak alot...

Over all a used jeep if properly taken care of can still last you a long time. I'm sure you have already looked at everything you can via the internet, just Don't be afraid to take it for a long test drive. Good luck and I hope you get what you want.

^^^^^^ this, ask the dealer if they will BCA (borrow car agreement) it to you for a day or so

cwmt3

Got it.. I'm a bit worried about the used dealership I'm going to, I'm not going to take what they say too seriously. I plan on not being my gullible self. I hope the jeep is able to speak for its self.

ScoobyCarolanNC

To the used off road aspect: check the skid plates. On road use will have minor dings and scratching but off road will look like it's been hung up on rocks.

cwmt3

This is some good stuff, thanks all. I feel like I have a bit of backup with me. It's a good feeling.

ArmyofMike

And the usual:
-make sure all buttons and gadgets work.
-the AC is cold and Heater is Hot.
-there are no leaks under the hood. Dealers like to pressure wash the hell out of engine bays, so look for tells of leaks such as stains, discoloring etc.
-make sure it will shift into 4H, 4L etc.
-Floor the gas, slam on the brakes, turn sharp.
-drive with the windows down at times when you accelerate, stop, turn etc. You will hear the sounds you may not with the windows up or the windbag sales guy talking to you.
-Look underneath it for rust, dents and decay
-Ask for a carfax, NOT a carfox! Although they are not a complete assessment, they will provide some solace in the Jeeps past...or not!
-make sure all window and door switches work
-Try NOT to get tunnel vision. Yes, you want it, but try to look at it from an objective standpoint.
-Drive it into a sunny part of the dealer parking lot and give it a once over all the way around, even if you have to move and repark it on both sides in the sun. The brightness of the sun will show dents, scratches, definition you will not get in the shade.

Good luck! Hope it works out and let us know when/if you get one!

bigrob703

Jeep wave! Been lurking a while, and haven't yet posted an intro (one is forthcoming).

Question to OP: how many little ones do you currently have? Or are you planning on the first?

Reason I ask, is I have a '12 2 door and a (one) little guy (18 months today). We went back and forth on getting a four door. Reason we didn't is we couldn't afford to eat the depreciation, pay higher monthly payments, and I had a good chunk of change in mods (lift, tires, wheels, regear, etc) that i knew would likely lower the trade-in value. The stock suspension had been given away to local jeepers. Stock wheels/tires were sold on CL. So going back to stock would've required additional funds and/or time to find free-bie take offs.

Rear facing car seat brought the suck! But, we managed. Forward facing car seat is actually not a big deal at all. It's not ideal, but we all make sacrifices for our jeeps. Also, the Mrs.' DD is the go-to weekend non-trail family means of conveyance (Durango).

Long story short, if you have one child seat, it is doable. Two child seats; definitely go for the JKU!

cwmt3

Jeep wave! Been lurking a while, and haven't yet posted an intro (one is forthcoming).

Question to OP: how many little ones do you currently have? Or are you planning on the first?

Reason I ask, is I have a '12 2 door and a (one) little guy (18 months today). We went back and forth on getting a four door. Reason we didn't is we couldn't afford to eat the depreciation, pay higher monthly payments, and I had a good chunk of change in mods (lift, tires, wheels, regear, etc) that i knew would likely lower the trade-in value. The stock suspension had been given away to local jeepers. Stock wheels/tires were sold on CL. So going back to stock would've required additional funds and/or time to find free-bie take offs.

Rear facing car seat brought the suck! But, we managed. Forward facing car seat is actually not a big deal at all. It's not ideal, but we all make sacrifices for our jeeps. Also, the Mrs.' DD is the go-to weekend non-trail family means of conveyance (Durango).

Long story short, if you have one child seat, it is doable. Two child seats; definitely go for the JKU!

It's looking like one on the way, but the discussion has been happening since October. Are you saying a rear facing car seat in the front? I didn't know that was a thing.. Interesting..
The wife has a 06 liberty that has seen better days, we are planning to buy a new one for her once I've paid off my 6 year car loan in 2019 from Chrysler. We are looking at the renegade by the way.
I'm hoping for a close as possible straight trade, if I can't get as close as I want I will walk away. I can't make the wife wait too long for her new jeep 😉

bigrob703

It's looking like one on the way, but the discussion has been happening since October. Are you saying a rear facing car seat in the front? I didn't know that was a thing.. Interesting..
The wife has a 06 liberty that has seen better days, we are planning to buy a new one for her once I've paid off my 6 year car loan in 2019 from Chrysler. We are looking at the renegade by the way.
I'm hoping for a close as possible straight trade, if I can't get as close as I want I will walk away. I can't make the wife wait too long for her new jeep 

No, car seat in back. They can't ride up front until they are like 8 or something, maybe older. For the rear facing car seat, the wife had to get in the back and I would hand her little man to put in seat. Forward facing seat, I can put him it while standing outside (I'm 6'1", she's 5'6" with heels).

The fold n' trumble (sp?) passenger seat gives enough room to put him back there.

Like I said, not ideal, but definitely doable.

EDIT: CDC (yes, CDC; first link that came up in google) says little ones should ride in back until age 12. Did not realize it was that old...

Last edited:

cwmt3

Appreciate that big rob, I'm 6'2 and always get hit in the face when I let the front seat fold forward. It's damn annoying lmao.. But I could live with it. I need the smack most days.

bigrob703

Anytime man, and congrats on the family addition!!!

Single handedly the craziest, scariest, most amazing experience of my life!

Toneman

Just had my first about 6 weeks ago. The rear facing car seat in a 2 door is a mess. I usually roll the passenger seat forward - walk to the driver side - set him on the center console (in the car seat of course) - climb in then put him in the back. Definitely a mess. Good thing the wife has a four door car lol

ClarksAdventures

X2 ^^^

There's a bunch of aftermarket parts out there. Some good, some bad. Some meant for offroad, some meant for looking purdy at the mall.

Also, I've seen a fair share of really bad DIY and "Professional" shop install.

Just be educated on what you're buying in to.

cwmt3

Wow.. That was an eye opener.. Just got back from the shadiest Toronto used car dealership. So did you know that test drives come after you buy the vehicle?

Top Bottom