Switch-Pros switches mounted to Daystar dash switch panel?

jared181920

Hi guys,

I've been throwing around the idea of getting the Switch-Pros switching system, but I've been a bit unsure of the best place to mount it. I very much like what Eddie did with his old switch module on Moby, using the Daystar mount.

So I got to wondering if something like that would be feasible with the Switch-Pro panel as well. I was wondering if anyone with the Daystar panel would be able to measure the width and height of the area where the switches typically go to give me an idea if that could work. Based off of boardsurfer's posts here it looks like the Switch-Pros module is about 4 1/2" x 2", and from the Daystar pictures it looks like that should fit on their panel, but wanted to verify first before I pull the trigger on that.

My one thought is that you could use some screws and screw the unit right to the front of the Daystar unit, or possibly bend the little screw tabs on the side backwards, and then just cut little notches in the Daystar panel to pop it in there. It could then be fastened in using screws or some kind of adhesive or something perhaps, to make it look a bit cleaner.

Anywho, thanks in advance to anyone who can provide measurements of the Daystar unit, much appreciated!

LeighP

I made a small box/panel up that sits below the outboard dash vent...its about the size you mention. Pretty straight forward to make, and it fits nicely. Reverse the pic for LHD JK's, lol.....
Theres plenty of room behind here to access for fasteners and wiring.

If I need more switches, I'm thinking I could make another panel to fit the rounded section of the centre dash binnacle, in front of the dash storage tray.....

Southpaw1746

I made a small box/panel up that sits below the outboard dash vent...its about the size you mention. Pretty straight forward to make, and it fits nicely. Reverse the pic for LHD JK's, lol.....

If I need more switches, I'm thinking I could make another panel to fit the rounded section of the centre dash binnacle, in front of the dash storage tray.....

Great job! Any chance you have photos of the installation?

boardsurfer

I wouldn't count on bending the tabs on the switch-pro. They are pretty stout and part of the whole back piece.

boardsurfer

Great job! Any chance you have photos of the installation?

If you flip the included bracket upside down on the back of the switch panel, it will fit perfectly on that spot LeighP posted and will be angled out nicely for a good visual. Problem is, from my driving position, the steering wheel completely blocks that spot for me and I couldnt see it at all. I went through several spots to mount before I decided on front and center.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429671250.438442.jpg

jared181920

If you flip the included bracket upside down on the back of the switch panel, it will fit perfectly on that spot LeighP posted and will be angled out nicely for a good visual. Problem is, from my driving position, the steering wheel completely blocks that spot for me and I couldnt see it at all. I went through several spots to mount before I decided on front and center.

View attachment 138781

Hmm, I do kind of like that! Although I'm not sure if I can make it work as I have my window switches there. I also was thinking that if the module was mounted on the bracket you could maybe fit it just above the AC knob?

My other thought was perhaps on the bracket, down on the base of the center console directly in front of the shifter. Kind of where the Daystar panel would sit, but rather than mounting it on that location, mounting it on the base of the console where the little rubber tray is.

Kind of in this area...

4-22-2015 8-26-27 AM.jpg

Just not quite sure if there's enough height there for the module on the bracket.

boardsurfer

If you have a regular business card handy you can get an idea. They're both 2 inches tall. I think that's a good spot though.

jeeeep

Hooked
got my switch-pro, need to figure out where I'm going to install it as well. I'd like it out of sight

BigPrince

Just FYI I mounted mine to my cage dash bar with zip ties to see if liked it up there before doing anything more permanent.
sp8100-01.jpg

cyberil

Leigh

Do you have a RHD Diesel JK. If so can you show me where you mounted the unit under the hood.

Thanks

Paul

LeighP

Paul...apologies....I'd forgotten I'd posted in this thread when I replied to your PM. I don't use the Switch Pros system, although its very impressive.

For the questions on how my panel is fitted, heres some more pics.....

Unit is screwed to the plastic fascia from underneath, the bottom of the unit is open. I used a step drill to open a hole for the wiring.....there is a good amount of room behind this area of the dash, at least on RHD cars.

Mount was fabbed up from sheet alloy using a carboard mock up. Switch mounts are a commercial block of 4 mounts, glued into the alloy mounting.

cyberil

Paul...apologies....I'd forgotten I'd posted in this thread when I replied to your PM. I don't use the Switch Pros system, although its very impressive.

For the questions on how my panel is fitted, heres some more pics.....

Unit is screwed to the plastic fascia from underneath, the bottom of the unit is open. I used a step drill to open a hole for the wiring.....there is a good amount of room behind this area of the dash, at least on RHD cars.

Mount was fabbed up from sheet alloy using a carboard mock up. Switch mounts are a commercial block of 4 mounts, glued into the alloy mounting.

Hi Leigh

Thanks for replying.

I think what you did is great but probably beyond my capabilities.

The issue I'm having is whether to buy the Switch Pro, SPOD or do without either. I don't particularly like the look of the control panel of the Switch Pro, the SPOD looks more factory located up on the windshield header with the OTRATW switches or I could just go with the Rugged Ridge A Pillar mount and avoid the SPOD thing altogether. Decisions, Decisions????

Switch-Pros

SP8100 Switch-Panel Power System Mounting Options

Mounting the SP8100 doesn't require a Daystar panel. The hardware kit includes a stainless, angled bracket that allows for simple installation. Here are some pics of mounting options in a JK (this rig is an '07):

Attachments

• mid visor good.jpg
    mid visor good.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 180
  • mid dash best.jpg
    mid dash best.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 187
  • left dash cu best 1.jpg
    left dash cu best 1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 188
  • bottom console center best.jpg
    bottom console center best.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 179

jared181920

Mounting the SP8100 doesn't require a Daystar panel. The hardware kit includes a stainless, angled bracket that allows for simple installation. Here are some pics of mounting options in a JK (this rig is an '07):

I'm actually kind of liking that last picture with the panel mounted near the shifter there. I was thinking of using the Daystar panel to give a more factory look, rather than just screwing it into the plastic, but it doesn't look too bad at all!

Switch-Pros

More installation photos to check out. These are of the Switch-Pros SP8100 Power Module into the engine compartment of a 2005 TJ. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431489254.837406.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431489286.446171.jpg

Top Bottom