Planning a Road Trip

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So I have 4 days off the week before Christmas and want to take another road trip. I am debating on where to go though and want some input. I was thinking either Grand Canyon via this route,

Picture5.png

or going up to Lake Tahoe to Vegas and back via this route,

Picture6.png

Just wondering what you guys think would be more fun this time of the year. If I went to Tahoe I probably wouldn't look for too many trails as there would be snow and I am stock but if I went through Arizona I would look for a few. I would like to explore the areas a little as well. I like Ghost towns, lakes and beautiful scenery so what is everyones opinion and what are some good places to check out on either trip? I would be camping out of the jeep for the 4 days.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I would say go with the first rout and go to the Grand Canyon, it is magnificent view! Although I have never been there and that could fuel my answer haha :yup:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
For a 4 day trip I'd say choose the first to GC. Who is going just you or you and the fam? That could change the suggestions.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
for the amount of time you have to work with, i would have to agree with the others and say go with route 1.

BONDSY

The road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is often closed in winter. South rim would be a better shot.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/directions_n_rim.htm#CP_JUMP_167594

The 395 could also pose some travel restrictions due to snow. It just depends if it's going to be one of those wet years.

Zion N.P. is pretty cool. We went there on our way back from MOAB last year. I think they are open year round. If you like hiking it would be a pretty cool place.

Last edited:

Donny

I am probably spoiled:yup: BUT IT IS COLD up there during sunset to a couple hrs after sunrise!!! I mean like 30s and 40s cold:naw: But they are right about the visual beauty...

Donny

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I am probably spoiled:yup: BUT IT IS COLD up there during sunset to a couple hrs after sunrise!!! I mean like 30s and 40s cold:naw: But they are right about the visual beauty...

Donny

Meh cold isn't really an issue for me. I grew up in the northeast and I have cold weather gear. I was just up in Julian last weekend and it was in the low 40's at night and I was fine. Not only that it rained and had really strong winds too.:nuts:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Decided to go the Vegas Route. I will be leaving bright and early, 5AM, and headed out to Calico (been there but want to see it again), then to the Mojave Cross since I didn't get to go on the last trip, then into and through Vegas to the Hoover Dam. From there I will head back to Vegas to a buddies house for the night.

Day two will be the Grand Canyon and then into the Flagstaff area for the night. Then the next two days I will make it back to San Diego.

What else should I see and go to? I was thinking about the Rattlesnake Habitat area on the way to Vegas but not sure if its worth it. Still have a month to plan so let me know!

Asgard

The Grand Canyon is phenomenal, something I recommend for everyone to see if they get the chance. I do prefer to approach it from the south as it's just a majestic experience (hidden from view until you are right on top of it), but I'm sure it'll be a great road trip regardless.

Now you have me thinking about planning a westerly excursion... I do have some friends and family to visit in CA...

Top Bottom