'15 JKUR Steering Wandering After Lift - Skid Control Light in Turns

USMCvet

Banned
I installed my 3.5" Metalcloak lift with Synergy drag link and tie rod. Also, I'm running 37" MT/R's with G2 assemblies with a 5:13 ratio with ARB's. Using a Flashcal everything was programmed and updated. I've had the rig aligned after I finished the install and again 500 miles later. Here's my issues: the JK tends to have a light feel in the steering wheel and wanders a bit - yes the steering wheel is centered, and nothing is loose. Then in the back road sharp turns, the skid control will come on. Now given, I am going a bit fast. So I've turned up the dampening on my Fox ATX steering stabilizer and that helped quite a bit. Also, I'm running the factory PSI in the MT/R's. Your thoughts and expert advise would be appreciated.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would say your steering wheel is still off and the wandering or as this other guy from Canada says "tramlining" is from your tires. That particular tire us know to track funny. Good luck fixing this

BigPrince

Have you been able to make sure that the steering wheel is not only centered for driving straight but also center in turns from left to right? It could appear center and track straight and be off in turns left to right in the steering gear.
I run MTRs at 25-28 on the street.

toxicwaste29

Oh gotcha. I wasn't sure if the g2 have raised mounts or the stock or if the kit came with said components just giving some food for thought.

USMCvet

Banned
The steering wheel is straight, but worth a triple check. Yes, I did do a flip on it. The rear track bar bracket does have the extension from the MC kit. The G2 bracket is 4" and you are correct, the MC bracket is 6".

USMCvet

Banned
Have you been able to make sure that the steering wheel is not only centered for driving straight but also center in turns from left to right? It could appear center and track straight and be off in turns left to right in the steering gear.
I run MTRs at 25-28 on the street.

So I need to drop my PSI by about 10.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Yes, I do have adjustable upper and lower CA's.

Ok good. If you have a way of checking your caster on front axle I would do so. Your lift may have taken away some positive caster and this can cause wandering or flighty feel. You can get caster closer back to stock by adjusting control arms.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the light steering feel is most likely being caused by your front axle having too little positive caster. Make sure that it's set at +4° and that should help with that. I've run MTR's and hated them because they, among other things, tended to track funny at highway speeds and they probably aren't helping anything either. If you're running more than 30 PSI in them, I would lower them back to about 30 as that might help a bit with the traction control but really, the main reason for it to ever go off is that your computer thinks you're in a slide. Triple check that your steering wheel is centered as it being off just a bit will make a difference.

USMCvet

Banned
As mentioned, the light steering feel is most likely being caused by your front axle having too little positive caster. Make sure that it's set at +4° and that should help with that. I've run MTR's and hated them because they, among other things, tended to track funny at highway speeds and they probably aren't helping anything either. If you're running more than 30 PSI in them, I would lower them back to about 30 as that might help a bit with the traction control but really, the main reason for it to ever go off is that your computer thinks you're in a slide. Triple check that your steering wheel is centered as it being off just a bit will make a difference.

Great advice and I appreciate. I'm off to the garage to give this a shot. Will update everyone in a few. Thanks!

USMCvet

Banned
Much appreciated. I'm off to try some of the possible fixes and will update you in a few hours or so. Thanks for everything.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
They are. The G2 assembly however has a stout 4" one. Should I just bite the bullet and get an adjustable and dump the MC bracket and track bar?

I've always thought 6" was too much and overcorrected roll center. Jnabird may chime in with his experience in this, I don't know if this relates to your wandering or handling issues.

USMCvet

Banned
I've always thought 6" was too much and overcorrected roll center. Jnabird may chime in with his experience in this, I don't know if this relates to your wandering or handling issues.

I just ordered an adjustable track bar designed for 0-6" lifts. I'll install that and that should eliminate that feeling of body kick I experience in hard turns. Thanks for the info once again.

Top Bottom