Parking Brake Hardware

TomJK

Hello. For a couple years my parking brake has been non functional. I finally had it looked at recently, and the mechanic said the hardware was all rusted out, and needed to be replaced. I opened things up, to see for myself, and as you can see in the pictures, there is indeed rust. I'm not very familiar with the mechanisms of the parking brake, but I tried pulling on the cable, and not much happened in the hardware, despite the cable moving about an inch. I tried adjusting the star wheel, but the pads didn't budge. I also tried some brake cleaner, with again no real affect. At this point I think I'll need to either clean the parts by hand or replace them completely. Has anyone had to do this? Budget is a factor, but if it's that much better to replace, I'll go that route. Either way, I'll need to actually take the assembly apart, and i cant find any write ups or YouTube videos on changing the hardware on a an 08 JKUX. Could anyone tell me how this is done? It looks like I might have to take the axle shaft out...
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• WP_20150423_001.jpg
    WP_20150423_001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 102
  • WP_20150423_002.jpg
    WP_20150423_002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 99
  • WP_20150423_003.jpg
    WP_20150423_003.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 100
  • WP_20150423_004.jpg
    WP_20150423_004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 98

USMC Wrangler

Ahh! Good ol' N. IN rust! (born and raised in Elkhart)

Have you ever replaced drum brake components before? It's the same concept. I haven't had to do this on my Jeep, but on my F150 it was like swapping drum shoes. I just looked at Autozone.com and they list a service kit (replacement springs and hardware) and shoes on there.

TomJK

Ahh! Good ol' N. IN rust! (born and raised in Elkhart)
Lol yep. After the last few winters, I'm not surprised haha

No, I have not done and drum brake work, just disk brakes. If it's similar, I can see what instructions are out there.
Thanks

USMC Wrangler

Here's the hardware kit... http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...2008/6-cylinders-1-3-8l-sfi-ohv/79475_0_6064/

...and here are the shoes... http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...erByKeyWord=emergency+brake&fromString=search

If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do this. It looks like there are some slight differences from actual drum brakes, but same concept. Some specialty tools make the job easier, but I've done it without.

I don't know if the South Bend stores rent/loan them out, but here's an example of tools that would help. http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ake-tool/oem-8-pcs-brake-tool-set/900827_0_0/

(No, I am not an AutoZone employee. Yes, you can find this stuff on many other auto parts websites. Being a former Hoosier, I just wanted to give a reference to a store nearby to the OP's listed location.)

Good luck!

TomJK

Thanks a lot, I've been looking at the parts and it looks like I can figure it out. The whole axle definitely needs to come out, to get to the hardware, but that's not a problem. I usually shop around for better prices than AutoZone, but those don't look too bad, especially since they do rent those specialty tools at my local one. Thanks again for the help.

Being a former Hoosier
I thought once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier hahah

USMC Wrangler

Thanks a lot, I've been looking at the parts and it looks like I can figure it out. The whole axle definitely needs to come out, to get to the hardware, but that's not a problem.

I didn't have to pull the axle on the Ford, but can't speak to the Jeep.

Yeah, at heart I am. I'm just done with the winters and rust! :yup:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Thanks a lot, I've been looking at the parts and it looks like I can figure it out. The whole axle definitely needs to come out, to get to the hardware, but that's not a problem. I usually shop around for better prices than AutoZone, but those don't look too bad, especially since they do rent those specialty tools at my local one. Thanks again for the help.

Shouldn't have to pull the axles, everything should expand around the hub flange. My suggestion...take only one side apart at a time, that way you can use the other side for reference.

TomJK

Yeah, at heart I am. I'm just done with the winters and rust! :yup:
Haha who wouldn't love the winter and rust? Last year we hit -45 a couple times.. It was a blast!!:cheesy:
Shouldn't have to pull the axles, everything should expand around the hub flange. My suggestion...take only one side apart at a time, that way you can use the other side for reference.
Thanks, I'll have to see how to accomplish that. Looking at it, it looked like the only way to access the hardware was to remove the axle.

USMC Wrangler

Looking at it, it looked like the only way to access the hardware was to remove the axle.

That's because everything is rusted into one piece! :cheesy: I know it too well from living up there.

I'm glad someone else could confirm the axles didn't need to come out. I haven't done this on my Jeep yet, so I didn't want to assume...definitely do one side at a time as suggested.

Last edited:

TomJK

That's because everything is rusted into one piece! :cheesy: .
You mean it's not supposed to be all one piece? Hahah

In the next week or two, when i get the time to do it, I'll let you know if I could fine a way to get at it, without removing the axle.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Went to adjust my E-brake yesterday, found this before I even pulled the wheels... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430448813.070204.jpg ...checked with the dealer and surprisingly the axle seals are covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty :cool:. Not afraid to replace them myself, but I think I'll have them do it for free :)

Top Bottom