Popping noise help

ClarksAdventures

So I installed a lift about 3000 miles ago. It included 8 control arms, new trackbars front and rear, springs, and shocks. Along with a new front drive shaft.

2 weeks ago, I started getting a squeak and a pop coming from the suspension. I've tracked down the squeak to a spring.

What I can't figure out is the popping.
It only happens when I turn right after turning left. It feels like something is slipping in the rear end, and then pop.

Any ideas? I've checked and rechecked the control arms and trackbars. Help?!?!?

bkac

Caught the Bug
So I installed a lift about 3000 miles ago. It included 8 control arms, new trackbars front and rear, springs, and shocks. Along with a new front drive shaft.

2 weeks ago, I started getting a squeak and a pop coming from the suspension. I've tracked down the squeak to a spring.

What I can't figure out is the popping.
It only happens when I turn right after turning left. It feels like something is slipping in the rear end, and then pop.

Any ideas? I've checked and rechecked the control arms and trackbars. Help?!?!?

Man, I really thought the trackbar was the problem. Huh, everything is tight in the rear, trackbar and tbar mount along with all the control arm bolts?

ClarksAdventures

Man, I really thought the trackbar was the problem. Huh, everything is tight in the rear, trackbar and tbar mount along with all the control arm bolts?

Me too, but I've checked everything at least 3 times I swear. Even had it on a lift today and rechecked. Uggh.

And what's weird, I can only get it to do it while turning to the right.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If you go to ore Facebook and click on videos, he has a video posted with a popping sound. See if it sounds similar to your sound.

olram30

It's this video, I don't know how to post videos from Facebook on mobile.

Attachments

• 1430195573681.jpg
    1430195573681.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 156

olram30

Also, those springs are known to clunk and pop. The coils are always touching, when going over bumps and regular driving they make sounds like that. Part of progressive coils

ClarksAdventures

Also, those springs are known to clunk and pop. The coils are always touching, when going over bumps and regular driving they make sounds like that. Part of progressive coils

I've noticed I need to trim a little of my additional c gusset. The spring with "click" after a full extension and then compression. The Pop just seems a lot more intense than that. I can feel it in my seat. And even my passenger have mentioned it.

I'm 90% sure it's a simple quick fix. That's why it's bugging me so bad. I just can't seem to locate it.

olram30

Are you sure the c clips didn't pop off on your bushings? Like this?

Attachments

• 1430196387080.jpg
    1430196387080.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 153

olram30

You already put it up on the fork lift and checked full stuff and droop?
Ore has it on their face book under video's. Not to far down on the mobile app. I don't see how to share our link it either.

tharb5111

Make sure sway bar is tightened down enough and that they are on the correct side of attachment point so they don't bind or rub. I had a similar poping sound and after I tightened sway bar bolts it went away. Just wanted to mention it. Those bolts are long too and if you put them in wrong direction they may interfere. Also if you attached sway bar links on wrong side they will be angled funny and may bind our catch on something it shouldn't.

I don't know if this will help, but I too had a similar issue in both the front and rear suspension. The front issue was the trackbar bolt hole had worn larger and so the track bar bolt was making a pop/thump like noise. In the rear, my driver side coil was hitting my track bar because of the aftermarket bracket. If the rear coil is really close the the track bar bolt, that is most likely your problem.

n3tfury

I don't know if this will help, but I too had a similar issue in both the front and rear suspension. The front issue was the trackbar bolt hole had worn larger and so the track bar bolt was making a pop/thump like noise. In the rear, my driver side coil was hitting my track bar because of the aftermarket bracket. If the rear coil is really close the the track bar bolt, that is most likely your problem.

For the rear, was that with an MC lift? My track bar bolt rubs the spring. I can't reverse it because it won't fit. Did you find a better solution?

**p.s. on topic - I'm also getting a popping noise, but mine's up front and it happens anytime there's torque to the front end. Still trying to track that down. I saw someone posted about the c-clips. I haven't checked that yet.

Last edited:

olram30

For the rear, was that with an MC lift? My track bar bolt rubs the spring. I can't reverse it because it won't fit. Did you find a better solution?

**p.s. on topic - I'm also getting a popping noise, but mine's up front and it happens anytime there's torque to the front end. Still trying to track that down. I saw someone posted about the c-clips. I haven't checked that yet.

They still use that Allen bolt on the track bar bracket?

Top Bottom